• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactical Realism mod?

kabex

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2006
Mexico
I am kind of surprised we haven't heard about a Tactical Realism mod for RO.

Basically, what this mod would do is try to make the game, in both infantry and tank combat as close as possible to a simulation.

Off the top of my head some mod-specific improvements which I don't think Tripwire should add officially, these should be for a tactical mod which is used in "units"(clanplay):

1. Realistic accuracy for all weapons (pistols, mg42, ppsh, mp40 etc)
2. Realistic recoil for all weapons
3. Diversity in uniforms, skins, camo according to the real war
4. Heavily increased suppression effects, make WWII tactics effective in the battlefield(refer to the Close Combat series for insight).
5. Complete MG system (linking belts, belts for mg34, belts 200+ rounds long, more than 1 spare barrel, tripods, tracers or no tracers, etc)
6. Primitive penetration code
For bullets: after hitting a penetrable surface, continue trajectory as hitscan bullet.
For HE shells: when an HE shell hits a wall/object, it ignores it and the explosion goes through kiling anyone.
7. Removal of artillery strikes, now you can call in mortar, rocket(nebelwerfer and katyusha) and smoke barrages.
8. Elimination of gamey "complete disregard for ones life or tank"
9. Accurate armor load outs and availability: absolutely no PzIVF/1, 2 or Stug F/8, correct versions instead. In '44 maps, T-34/76s should still be around.
10. Practical melee system(no more circling around the enemy for 10 seconds and not hitting him).

Etc... what do you guys think? I am no coder, I am just throwing this out there, btw.

I think the guns are as accurate as they should be for the most part. except maybe the pistols But from what i have seen the smgs seem to be right same with the rifles. The semi auto rifles might be a little less accurate then they should be though. the recoil only seems to be off for the smgs. and they go way overboard on that. Should be able to standupright and fire aimed shots. Maybe make the ppd and ppsh more accurate then the mp40/41 just because they really were supposed to be the most accurate smgs used in the war thanks to a longer barral and slightly more powerful round. SMGs should be a good mid range weapon. mid range being up to a few hundred feet. not the 50 feet or so they seem to be effective in the game. But they are only ineffective because of the kick from the recoil. so if your laying down flat with the weapon supported they can kill a few hundred feet away like they should.
Im sure people would cry about it but... people need to realize guns kill Smgs are good guns and wouldnt have been used if they didnt work very well. In the game as it is now the smgs are great for killing 15 feet or so away but realistilcly in war people hardly got that close to eachother.

Granades would need to be changed as well. they were more powerful. The kill range seems to be about right but.. they should throw out some shrapnel that would wound at longer distances and still have a chance to kill if it hits in the right spots.

When someones hit in the leg i want to see them instantly fall to the ground. no more of that slow to a crawl crap and still be able to stand.

Something should be done about tracers as well. As it is they serve no purpose other then pointing out where the mg is. Maybe make them glow alot less brightly. i dont think tracers were that easy to see during the day.

All of the mgs need to be more accurate.

Upvote 0
Ron said:
Wow man whas your problem, im no realism nerd as you say but im interested to see how the game would play with more realistic mg's, lower recoil on smgs, and the main one a simple penetration system oh and a heavier suppression system.

Well, why did you get offended if you are not ;)

ok ok, it's not "wrong" to make one, I don't just don't like idea dividing avaible servers in to two different factions.

Upvote 0
Drude said:
Well, why did you get offended if you are not ;)

ok ok, it's not "wrong" to make one, I don't just don't like idea dividing avaible servers in to two different factions.

I wasnt actually offended personally funnily enough come on i played cod2 before ro and if i am a realism nerd then so be it im sure i can live with that.
Its just your last point didnt really explain why you were opposed and i hardly feel realism nerds is a valid argument or constructive, but now that you've explained yourself somewhat i see your point.:)

Upvote 0
kabex said:
I am kind of surprised we haven't heard about a Tactical Realism mod for RO.

Basically, what this mod would do is try to make the game, in both infantry and tank combat as close as possible to a simulation.

Off the top of my head some mod-specific improvements which I don't think Tripwire should add officially, these should be for a tactical mod which is used in "units"(clanplay):

1. Realistic accuracy for all weapons (pistols, mg42, ppsh, mp40 etc)
2. Realistic recoil for all weapons
3. Diversity in uniforms, skins, camo according to the real war
4. Heavily increased suppression effects, make WWII tactics effective in the battlefield(refer to the Close Combat series for insight).
5. Complete MG system (linking belts, belts for mg34, belts 200+ rounds long, more than 1 spare barrel, tripods, tracers or no tracers, etc)
6. Primitive penetration code
For bullets: after hitting a penetrable surface, continue trajectory as hitscan bullet.
For HE shells: when an HE shell hits a wall/object, it ignores it and the explosion goes through kiling anyone.
7. Removal of artillery strikes, now you can call in mortar, rocket(nebelwerfer and katyusha) and smoke barrages.
8. Elimination of gamey "complete disregard for ones life or tank"
9. Accurate armor load outs and availability: absolutely no PzIVF/1, 2 or Stug F/8, correct versions instead. In '44 maps, T-34/76s should still be around.
10. Practical melee system(no more circling around the enemy for 10 seconds and not hitting him).

Etc... what do you guys think? I am no coder, I am just throwing this out there, btw.

I beleive everything is possible.
Its a matter of faith, hard work, time, resourses and research
Maybe even TW wants to go there, but just have done their basic works first?
The depth in detail can go quite far at times, and I one has to take a step at the time.
Some like realistic cosmetics and graphics...
some wants the sounds perfect...
some wants combinations...
For my part, I feel the foundation for my dream is soon graspable

I am a teamplay and physical realism fanatic.
meaning I want to feel that Im moving with a group that wants to help me to survive, and that the effects of war is "felt" in my mouse and mind.

If a game can give me this, I dont really care if the weapon appears to have its mechanism mounted upside down as long as my bullet goes where its supposed to, the gun "feels" real and my teammates do their work.

Upvote 0