• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad A Question for the Realism Clans

Tripper said:
Well, I can't speak for the clans which are new to RO, but the clans from the mod days do not behave in such a negative and juvenile way. After matches, we would hang out. We would host training nights and get-to-know-you nights, and when we saw each other on regular servers we gave respect and backed each other up over the claims of "hacking." Just the other night, CoR/CiA hosted an impromptu game night featuring 13th, CoR, CiA, CoreNA, [-I-], and I think a few members of newer clans, all mixed together. An amazing game.

Cool, you were here since uk2k3, I played RO in uk2k3, its not really a big deal and I don't know what your playing at by mentioning your clans heritage. Switzer beat me to it, but you can call yourselves realism but you're not.

Upvote 0
Realism type play is simply the most immersive and fun I've ever had. Taking an objective through close cooperation between infantry and Panzers, running a Panzer assault in close formations giving each other proper support, these are all great things :)

That being said I also enjoyed BFE and am sure I'll enjoy Iron Crescendo, where the emphasis is more on winning than on taking objectives the "historical" way. I have nothing negative to say against any "normal" clan in RO - I've never encountered an excessive use of RnG, nade spamming and such. However, their style of play is more geared towards winning, and thus we as a Realism unit will probably get slaughtered. At least on close combat maps, where our emphasis on movement cohesion and tactics are easily thwarthed by a daring rush of skilled clanners wrecking our day :)

For me tough, I want to come as close to possible to being there, without the nasty little details of acctually fighting for my life and getting frostbites and all that. Realism units simply is as good as it gets in that regard, and then it doesnt really matter if we win.

Upvote 0
Regardless of whatever opinions each side holds for one another, realism players like to add a pinch of 'role-playing' and a handful of 'historical accuracy' to their wargaming experience, they seek a greater level of immersion. Regular clans prefer the traditional style of play where the game is played out-of-the-box in a more competitive atmosphere. Each player has his reason for favoring one type over the other and I seriously doubt either group will dissolve or change their ways based on the views of their counterparts. So happy gaming to all.

Upvote 0
I play the Flames of War miniatures game Ostfront. When I choose a force, it is very important that I have tank, mechanised, and infantry companies. Each company has individual platoons that will make up my companies. Every weapon has a purpose and different platoons are assigned their tasks. It is a very enjoyable experience to see what each platoon can do with their assigned weapons. Games are won by the skillful use of these weapons to gain and hold objectives. Is this what realism units strive for? Aren't both sides looking for this type of play in a competitive atmosphere? The regular clans want competition any way they can get it on a regular and frequent basis.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Both realism players and standard players use the weapons of RO to gain and hold objectives yes...but that is one of the few similarities. We both like competition and to play the game, but realism creates a different atmosphere not just of competitiveness. It creates an atmosphere of historical immersion where when you see your comrades on the battlefield you don't see them just as a player behind a compuer screen but a soldier in your virtual squad--one that could earn a medal for securing victory or a promotion for exceptional leadership. It's just different, and always will be.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your comments Felix. Could realism style of play reduce the mad dash to the objectives? I know that getting your team into the cap zone will win the game, however it feels like I am doing the 100 yard dash for about 30 mins. every time I play. That gets old too. In reality, I think each side would move slower and tactfuly. If one side used the 100 yard dash style of play while the other moved slower and tactfuly, who do you think would win in a match?

Upvote 0
"The platoon that destroys the enemy force first OR the platoon that controls the bridge that spans the river between North and South village when that round time ends wins the round. If neither of these objectives are achieved by the end of the round, that round is considered a draw."

That's a sample from a recent battle we fought with 13th Guards. There were 4 tanks vs. 4 tanks on Arad with ten minute rounds, one life per round per person with no respawn, 5 rounds played, best of 5 rounds wins match.

Victory had nothing to do whatsoever with the standard Arad cap zones.

Upvote 0
In our case, in all 5 rounds the enemy force was destroyed prior to the end of the 10 round time limit, so we didn't have to rely on the "who has control of the bridge" victory condition. If we did, it would have been easy for the unit commanders to agree upon based on who had what in the immediate area of the bridge when the 10 minute limit ended.

If we could not come to an agreement based on the tactical situation, we'd have called it a draw and moved on.

Upvote 0
Someone who posted in this thread earlier really showed the difference between clans and realism units. Clanners rate the best player by how many kills they get. I know this because I have played in many clans over the years, but in the past 3 years have converted to realism units. In realism units, the best player is the one who uses solid tactics and teamwork to achieve their objective. Realism players care far more about the experience and strive for using realistic tactics and organization to do it how those brave men and women who fought on the Ost Front did it. Clanners use the features built into the game itself and exploit them to their greatest advantage. When I say exploit, I am not saying using map exploits that allow you to crawl up to a wall, see through it, and kill people through it. Clanners use the weapons and features in the game to allow them to achieve the most kills and to capture objectives. I am not saying that is bad. I am saying that realism players use the weapons and features to make the fighting as close to the fighting on the Ost Front as possible, and will go as far as to add mutators and modify servers and maps so that we can make it just that much more like it was in, say, 1944. Realism units will not be able to defeat hardcore clans in regular gameplay, for the simple fact that we do not play at anywhere near the same speed as clanners do. We think through each move we make carefully, because in realism battles if you mess up and get killed, you will not be playing again that round. With clanners, they know that if they make a mistake, they have the ability to attack again with the exact same people they attacked with before, and change their strategy so that they don't make the same mistake twice. When in regular gameplay, realism players will not move fast enough to defeat a clan. It is that simple. That is why we must have seperate "leagues" and "ladders" because our gaming styles are so different that we cannot have a common ground where clans and realism units can have actual matches.

I hope this helps the clanners understand how realism players work. BTW: I am one of those 2.SS guys who "couldn't care less"

-Hauptscharfuhrer Bauer, SS-Kampfgruppe 'Das Reich', SS-Panzergrenadier Regiment 'Deutchland'

Upvote 0
Well frankly, I've been playing a lot with the realism guys lately, and they all seem like a nice bunch. If they are playing differently than I am, I dont notice it. In fact I've worked together on VoIP with several of them (usually 2.SS) and we always make quite a team.

If we cant play in the same leagues, thats fine. Getting to know each other and playing together in public servers is enough for me.

Upvote 0
Gustav Bauer said:
In realism units, the best player is the one who uses solid tactics and teamwork to achieve their objective.

Being a good shot never hurts, though. :)

I'm biased, but being in a realism clan has been great fun. I'm knocking regular clans, since I've been in plenty of those; but the teamwork and comradery "off the field", so to say, go a long way.

Realism FTW!

Upvote 0