• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bullets hitting dirt, Or is it bbs hitting dirt?

Makimaki

Jul 24, 2006
Just a suggestion to add a bigger puff of dirt once a bullets hits the ground, and for it to linger in the air longer (tanks come to mind), once the rounds start flying on the field alot of the dirt/dust will impare vision on open grounds. Just though this could add some realism and a better feeling of power to the guns and tanks!
(if you've shot a MN91/30 or any of the 7.62x52r rifles you'll know what im getting at)

Visual aid:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lHeUQk2X1J4&search=mosin%20nagant

Last edited:
I agree with you.. if the weather/ground is dry/dusty.
In rainy weather there would not be much smoke but more splash effect.
But in dry, warm weather and dusty ground a burst of the MG could make a nice "smokenade" for ya :D
Im not sure how much work it would be to simulate for TW, but it would surely add some "soul" to the game!

I know that Combatmission 3 Africa Korps have nice effects according to weather:
* If you throw a nade in a wheatfield in dry warm weather it starts to burn.
* In rainy weather the troops move slower, and tanks easily bogs down in the mud.
* In warm and damp weather the soldiers fatique quickly, and has a longer recovery time...
* If you run a tank at full speed in dry heat, you see a HUGE smoke trail!!
* If you shoot arty, it works nicesly as a smokebarrage as well as steel rain..:cool:.

Looking forward to see this in RO! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
HAHAHA, this reminds me of one of my outings with my M1911 .45. I was trying to shoot it one handed with my left hand (Im right handed). I put a round in the dirt (it was a little muddy/wet), and I swear I put mud up like 5 feet in the air (I looked kinda like stalagmint/tite at its peak). It was pretty funny and I was suprised it kicked up that much.

But yes, dry dirt likes to really kick up, especially with 8mm size rounds. Even more so when the day is stagnant.

Upvote 0
Silky_Slim said:
Dont forget water shots!!! when i shot at a creek(standing right next to it) with my m38 a HUGE water splash went about 8 feet into the air, which then rained on me for about 3 seconds. Right now the splash has the same force if your droped a rock into the water.

haha if they made it like that you'd see a whole lot of fountains, im sure:D
imagine some PPSH guys emptying clips in the water on hedgehog for example:p (like some people usually do when they are frustrated, shooting off their weapons in spawn )

Upvote 0