• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Great way to increase realistic play

k98Lemur

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
You know in America's Army, when you get shot at, your sights go crazy all over the plase and super blurry. RO needs that bigtime. It will slow people way down, and make people move more carefully across the battlefield, because you have to get the first shot off or you will die. I mean if you play AA you have to play as if you are really there. But in Ostfront you run around and hip shoot to your hearts content.

AA is more realistic then Ostfront... fix it.

Also, all RO guns sound like a .22... fix it.

RO has too much nade spam... fix it.

Good night, gentlemen.

What makes people move "careful" in AA is the fact that they might be doomed to watch an idler or "camper" sitting around for minutes till they got to play again.
Sure, I like some features it has, but the mentioned hipshooting is way more effective than in RO, allthough not as apparent, as you ahve no 3rd person distinction between hipshots and aimed shots.
Also, I find AA to be much more nadespammy than RO, with people throwing frags and flashbangs everywhere, not to mention the m203 and teh AT4 on some maps.

Upvote 0
k98Lemur said:
You know in America's Army, when you get shot at, your sights go crazy all over the plase and super blurry. RO needs that bigtime. It will slow people way down, and make people move more carefully across the battlefield, because you have to get the first shot off or you will die. I mean if you play AA you have to play as if you are really there. But in Ostfront you run around and hip shoot to your hearts content.

AA is more realistic then Ostfront... NOT!.

Also, all RO guns sound like a .22... NOT!

RO has too much nade spam... NOT!

Good night, gentlemen.

fixed

Upvote 0
The weapons sound like .22s? Maybe you need some better speakers :p (or just turn yours up) because this is one of the only games that almost get me to jump at some of the gunshots. I think the sound is fantastic.

The superiority of hip shooting is quite sad, but I don't think the players need to be punished any more for getting shot, I think they should allow you to move at a decent speed with them shouldered. It's suicide to go into CQB if you DON'T hipshoot. Just make the gun bounce around while moving so you need to stop to actually hit anything at range... but you should be able to shuffle quickly while taking aimed shots and be reasonably effective.

My ideal shouldered weapon behavior:

Sprinting: drop to hip, automatically re-shoulder when stopped

Full Standing: normal speed, drop weapon to "half ready" while moving--similar behavior to hipped but recovers to shoulder very quickly

Crouched Movement: stays fully sighted but wanders significantly while moving, must pause to make accurate shots >15-25m.

Perhaps having the weapon shouldered during movement in all cases could simply eat up stamina faster.

Point is, if bursting into a room spraying wildly from the hip were actually a risk instead of a huge advantage, maybe people would hesitate doing it. Right now you can just run circles around anyone trying to play "properly" and perforate them in the most humiliating manner you can conjure.

Upvote 0
Speaking of AA, indeed there are some elements which could be inserted into RO:
- Training
- Rolling
- Hit effects
- Sound distortion
- flashbang effect (I don't know if it fits into RO)
- Bullet deflection
- Rifle grenades
- Underhand throw for nades
- Backblast on Panzerfaust
- Bleeding
- Ladders

I also would like to see a different game system without respawning (e.g. Partisan scenario) and other objectives:
- Carriable objectives
- Kill/defend objectives

Upvote 0
i have played games where your vision gets blurry and such when rounds pass near you and personally i think its really damn annoying. We don't need that stuff people already flip out when coming under fire because it seems so real.
I don't need a videogame to tell me when im scared because rounds are whipping by an inch past my skull.

Upvote 0
k98Lemur said:

Good night, gentlemen.

I'm always amused when I see someone who uses terrain exploits requests more realism :p

But on another note there are some things AA has that could be used, I won't post them as it'd just be posting what other people have already said.

Upvote 0
Avenger said:
This is the third thread we've had with this suggestion in as many weeks. You could search for those threads and read them, but I'll just summarize them for you: BAD IDEA.

Plz send links and inform us why its a bad idea!
I am quite sure nobody would be able to successfully aim as they get shot?!?!
Would you?

I beleive that the more freedom you have in a game (which is what you Could do in reality) might enrich the game experience.
In real war you have to be creative, being imprisoned and forced into a "box game" is a static and boring game.
IE. As a sniper I want to climb a 2m high structure, but EHM ..
I cant climb a 30cm structure AND there is no ladder!!!
That is "a sniper in a box"....

Grabbing ideas from games that successfully implemented them might help RO becomming even more powerful.
Since RO is about realism, I beleive freedom of action is very important.

Upvote 0
But in Ostfront you run around and hip shoot to your hearts content

What? You are doing hip shots all the time? Uh well, then learn2play.

The funny thing is, in AAO you hipshot everytime with your neat little xhairs.

It will slow people way down, and make people move more carefully across the battlefield, because you have to get the first shot off or you will die.

Lmao, do you have any idea what the real war was like, especially on the russian side? If you had to rush than you rushed, if you survived you could consider you lucky.

k98Lemur said:

Good night, gentlemen.

Fixed.

You know in America's Army, when you get shot at

Oh really? Now that's strange, I've played AAO to honor 54 and I've never noticed that.

Just turn motion blur on and your screen gets blurry when you are under some nice supression fire.

Grabbing ideas from games that successfully implemented them might help RO becomming even more powerful.
Since RO is about realism, I beleive freedom of action is very important.

What in gods name are you talking about? You can't climb on everything in AAO. RO has more freedom than AAO........way more freedom hence you can't even rest your gun in that game which is very important as a Sniper.

If only we had a programmer with a bit of free time and an appreciation for tactical realism...

Simple stuff, really. Search&Destroy game mode, fixed accuracy and recoil(this should be as easy as editing values) heavily increased suppression effects... etc.

It can't be that hard.

Damn.

Fixed and now go play orel with your tiger 1.

Upvote 0
- Training
er...no thanks. It'd be too much effort for something people would only use once. Conscripts didn't exactly go through the same things as a modern US soldier would anyway.

- Rolling
Maybe, but it didn't seem all that useful in AA. I'd rather just use the D or A key.

- Hit effects
yes. Especially when stabbed or bashed. I can't stand having some guy stick his long-ass rifle into you and shooting even though you're right up against him and just whacked him.

- Sound distortion
Agreed. Even CoD has that.

- flashbang effect (I don't know if it fits into RO)
No flashbangs in RO.

- Bullet deflection
Maybe...but it shouldn't be too effective or we'll have people dying behind cover all the time. >.>

- Rifle grenades
Been discussed before, not really worth the effort of implementing.

- Underhand throw for nades
Already have that. :]

- Backblast on Panzerfaust
agreed

- Bleeding
Nah...you only live for a couple minutes in a round anyway.

- Ladders
Maybe. But ladders aren't that common and it can turn up some bugs and gameyness.

Upvote 0
Honestly ROO is very good at approximating this already and NOT because the game throws off your aim.

Really good players, who have lots of experience will keep their cool, just like a battle hardened veteran.

On a bad day, or if you are new or jumpy it can be pretty damned hard to aim under fire. Its all psychological in ROO, just like IRL.

The fact that a player acumulates the experience of thousands of individual troops is just a virtue of the fact that it is a game. It affects cool under fire and the knowledge of how to knock out a tank. ROO makes it so that every soldier can be a veteran.

Upvote 0
kabex said:
If only we had a programmer with a bit of free time and an appreciation for tactical realism...

Simple stuff, really. Search&Destroy game mode, fixed accuracy and recoil(this should be as easy as editing values) heavily increased suppression effects... etc.

It can't be that hard.

Damn. :(

Well get on it! You have some free time don't you? RO is great, just needs some minor tweaks. Keep up the good work Devs.

Upvote 0