• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Combat Mission!

Deathsai said:
By the way. Don't get it if you are a graphics whore.

Very true. It is all about the gameplay, not the latest snazzy graphics.

The first time the US engineers I had hiding in a house were surprised when a Panther rolled by I flipped. I thought they would lay low but the AI made up its own mind. They came charging out WITH NO ORDERS, satchelled the tank from behind and then chased down the fleeing German crew with their Grease Guns I was hooked.

Upvote 0
Thats why ive always liked it, the AI reacts to situations without orders very well, that and the tank/vehicle combat because of the penetration accuracy.

I dont see why everyone says the graphics are so terrible. I think it still looks alright, because the color scheme shoots for realistic, instead of more cartoony or arcadey, so with it slightly grainy, it doesnt look that bad.

We need to get some kind of tournament/meeting time/community thing going for Combat mission, so we can play against each other, then maybe post our view of what happened. :)

Upvote 0
Got CMBO, CMBB and CMAK, love the series. However I got burnt out, meaning I played it so much for such a long time, it got...I don't want to say boring, but not appealing anymore. I am sure if I got into it now, I'd probably be able to handle playing a TCP/IP game once in a while.

A friend of mine and I would play TCP/IP in CMBO (when it was introduced in a later patch) constantly. We played operations in CMBO that was one of the best times I had. My favorite operation is a custom which puts you in command of the 21st Panzer division's battalion during the first days of the Normandy invasion.

At first it is easy going, blast and roll through the Brittish defenses, but by the 3rd battle, the momentum is lost, I am facing stiff opposition, my units are depleted, companies reduced to an understength platoons, an imobolized Tiger and facing naval artillery.

It was intense, I tried to make headway with what I had, but I didn't make it far, my troops were either pinned down or wiped out by 480mm naval artillery, pure curnage and I had such a good time with it.

It the end I didn't reach my final objective, I pulled back to a defensive possition and defended what I had. At least I gained some ground, and the Brittish were not able to make any headway against me either.

I might be willing to play CMBB someday...

Upvote 0
K.Johansen said:
I used to have Combat Mission beyond overlord, years ago. I cracked the cd and couldnt play anymore but I just got Afrika Korps. Its alot of fun, does anyone else have it that wants to play online?

Hey mate :) Ive been playing Combat mission - Afrika korps for bout 2 years now and love it.. I havent got much chance to play with humans (sadly)
You can get me on MSN at:

[email protected]

I would like to play at anytime, either by email or live :)

See ya on the battlefield!

Teq

Upvote 0
Me and my friend were doing a CMBB match, his StuGs against my T-34s and an IS-2. Unfortunately the IS-2 got knocked out first. After a grueling city-fight it ended up with his StuG running from my T-34. But the commander had died in the T-34, so I was almost completely blind, chasing his StuG around houses and the like, but somehow always staying to his side or behind him so he couldn't traverse to hit me. I finally caught him in the middle of an open field (but didn't spot him til I was right on top of him) and laid an 85MM right into the rear of his tank, then gunned down the crew. :D

Good times. Same with getting bored of long firefights and ordering every single Soviet unit to do a human wave to the edge of the map.

"UUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Upvote 0
is the gameplay closecombat-like as in where you command each unit you have during the battle

Not exactly.

You could divide the core in two steps.

One is the "command turn", so you issue your commands, view overview and stuff and so on.

When you are done (and your opponent, presuming you are playing against human player), now comes the "action turn" where you can see your troops executing the orders and living in the battle and so on and so on for a one minute IRL time. After it is done, comes another "command turn" where you can again give more commands if needed and so on.

There is also command delay and the more experienced the troops are, there is less delay and also it effects that is platoon HQ nearby and so on and so on.

Upvote 0
Although initially I enjoyed CMBB, the AI is starting to piss me off greatly. Since I play on Soviet side; AI shows its faults there greatly. I could never setup an ambush with Russian tanks due to AI issue. In the first contact regardless of my superior position after the first shot, Russian tanks backup even with superior numbers and greater equipment. Also it seems they can

Upvote 0
SimFreak said:
Although initially I enjoyed CMBB, the AI is starting to piss me off greatly. Since I play on Soviet side; AI shows its faults there greatly. I could never setup an ambush with Russian tanks due to AI issue. In the first contact regardless of my superior position after the first shot, Russian tanks backup even with superior numbers and greater equipment. Also it seems they can

Upvote 0
Once I played a QB with a friend where I was Soviet. I picked all conscripts troops, they are much cheaper of course. He had a regular/veteran company of troops with one tank who was regular. With conscripts being real cheap, I ended up with a battalion and a extra company of conscript troops, and a platoon of T-34/76.

I split my battaltion into 3 groups, or waves. 1st wave, a company would charge to predetermind location. As the command delay with conscripts is huge, you can't do any tactics or changing of orders much. My strategy was to use the first wave to get as far as possbile and use them to expand the ammo of my opponent and hold his troops in place.

The second wave was the biggest, 2 and half companies of troops. They were the main force. Timing was crucial, too early and they would get pinned and broken fast along with the first wave. Too late and they would run into the waiting defenses who were done with the first wave.

Luckily my timing was right and they charged in as my first wave was still fighting back, but barely. His troops had too many target to shoot at, they were overwhelemed.

My last wave, a company acted as reserves, to charge into where the attack has stalled. And that is exactly what I used them for. In the end it worked, it was just too many troops for my opponent, for his troops to fight. I did win, but suffered heavy casualties, as I knew I would. His lone tank was overwhelmed by my 4 T-34/76 and my troops. I close assualted his tank with my troops and used my tanks as well.

Good battle...

Upvote 0