• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad A Question for the Realism Clans

I dont even think that Realism is taking away 'new players' %80 of all realism players in RO just switched to this game from BF1942, DoD, COD and others because this is the most realistic game out there at the moment. I only chose to play this game to continue my realism career, if you would. Not because the game play was 'uber' or however you want to put it.

Upvote 0
{2.SS}Switzer said:
I only chose to play this game to continue my realism career, if you would. Not because the game play was 'uber' or however you want to put it.
At the end of the day, I think this is the fundamental difference between us:

you guys see the game as the material allowing you to do a virtual ww2 re-enactement while we, regular clans, simply play a game we love.

Am I right?

Upvote 0
Athena said:
At the end of the day, I think this is the fundamental difference between us:

you guys see the game as the material allowing you to do a virtual ww2 re-enactement while we, regular clans, simply play a game we love.

Am I right?

We play the game as well, heh. Theres no point on playing a RnG clan because we play totally different and it would be stupid.

Upvote 0
REZ said:
I may not be welcome in this thread as I'm not part of a clan, traditional or realism-based, however it appears that, and this may be obvious, but traditional clans are all about competing. They are in it for the competition. Realism clans on the other hand have fun by pretending to be actual soldiers. Its not so much, if even at all, about winning or losing, its about role-playing to a certain extent. So with that in mind, as a traditional clan, I wouldnt look to realism clans for matches, simply because both of you wouldnt be playing to the same end.

Of course these are blanket statements, and every individual clan has its own reasons for existing, but to me that is where the rub lies. My point in even making a post here is.... this thread doesnt have to degrade into a '**** on one another' fest.

I think the OPs intention of finding some middle ground for future matches was noble to begin with (and a touch self-serving.. lonely at the top eh?), but these two groups play for entirely different reasons. Besides, since [-I-] is pretty strong to begin with against traditional clans, what makes you think people who limit their gameplay to having to call a superior for permission to fire would make good competition? You guys would crush them.

I think you would be better served trying to start a new nations cup since the NA clan scene is cold right now. That way you could get out your competetive juices on some, from what I understand, very tough European clans.

Anyway... stop insulting each other. You play for different reasons. I'm outta here.... see-ya's on the public dancefloor.

Sorry to quote all your stuff REZ. All I wanted to say to you is of course your welcome in this conversation, you bring unbiased intellegent reason to a downward spiralling situation.

Ok... Athena we are not really fundamentally different. I spent 90% of my gaming career doing exactely what your doing now. And here is the proof via my match history.

http://www.teamwarfare.com/history.asp?Keydata=9th+SS+Panzer+Division
http://www.teamwarfare.com/history.asp?Keydata=CoNg+Special+Forces
http://www.teamwarfare.com/history.asp?Keydata=G%2EI%2DNation
http://www.teamwarfare.com/history.asp?Keydata=The+CoNg

Plus a couple seasons of CAL league.

Now I didn't post these links to look like an Uber gaming hero just to prove I have paid my dues in the competitive ladder circut. Now the 9th did join TWL and our only ladder match saw us get wiped by the Inforcers. No denying it a solid well trained clan, deadly at what they do. Yet you have to admit RO is not exactely doing well on these ladders particapation wise. I think there are 10 teams on the 5 vs 5 ladder. Hell even BFV has more active clans playing!

Lets say I give Inforcers the benefit of what I don't know and assume they have built up great alliances with other RO clans for which you scrim and practice together building healthy comraderie. In my experience in your world I spent more time in pissing matches like this then I did gaming.

Now when I decided to convert my clan to a Realism Unit. I was a total nub about what that term ment and still had my attitude from the competitive ladder world I was in. But you know what made the difference, in the realism world people like Switzer, Von Halen and Johansen took the time to sort me out and show me the way of doing things. They coveted someone who was willing to dedicate the time and resources to go thier route and because of the unsolicited, generosity of these different groups the 9th has turned into something I am proud of.

So if you want to say fundemental fine but really in a nut shell other than a different set of game rules and some added roleplaying if you like the difference between us and the rest of the gaming clans is the realism community is proud to share and teach others what they know. Like I said I am not painting every non realism clan with the same brush here. But from my experience and as I proved its extensive, I have found this group of guys to be very open minded. An thats why this is now my home. Because the realism units truley care about each others survival. I know this even more now than ever. If two realism guys have a beef over something, they will still back each other up and put differences aside when it comes to protecting the integrity of the community

So for me thats the fundemental difference, its the people not the game style.

So lets end this on an inspired happy note and go game together in tranquil harmony respecting each others choices.

Upvote 0
As an outsider looking in......

At first I was impressed by the responses from the realism units. Like some, I thought they were a little to "stiff" for me. But the more I read the more intrigued I became.

Then came Johnny "ladder" Clan with his "..the only reason anyone would play leik that is 'cause they suck and aren't 1337. We would prwn you!" mentality and the thread kind of went downhill from there. (change the n to an r please). To be equitable we must acknowlege that Herman "I'm a 12 year old Nazi" Realist had his moments for the "realism" family.

It would appear to me that the "realism" family enjoys the structure, tactics and maneurvers of the game, where as the "ladder" family is all about the winning.

Winning is secondary to the "realism" family, winning is everything to the "ladder" family.

As a whole, the "ladder" family simply cannot understand the thought process behind the "realism" gamestyle and mentality.

As a whole, the "realism" family understands the "ladder" gamestyle and mentality. I would suspect that for the most part, the "realism" member was broken into the fps world by the "ladder" family. Perhaps the "realism" member sucked at it, perhaps he was quite good. Generally speaking, I think he probably could have cared less. Winning wasn't his motivation for playing the game.

Of course, I could be wrong. And certainly, your mileage will vary. Please read all the small print and see your doctor before beginning any certified tournament.

Floyd (and VonHiltz replies before I get finished :rolleyes: )

Upvote 0
@ Floyd,
Inforcers and many other traditional clans, play for fun. Fun comes before everything. Ofcourse, we also play to win but that's not "everything" we care about. The spirit of teamwork, dedication, and friendliness is what the Inforcers and other old clans are about.

@ Von Hiltz,

The spirit of camaraderie and open-mindedness are there too in traditional clans. We also care about other clans and their well being. The battle hardened clans do not look down on the newer, less experienced clans, such as in RO Ladder. We try to encourage them and keep at it. Read what Manstein said. Since the original mod clans are so few in numbers, everbody knows everybody else in that community. And we want to introduce new clans to RO become a part of the community. But it seems some, if not most, realism clans want to stay out and remain in their own world.

In the end, I think what separates traditional clans and realism clans is not the importance of winning, the value of team spirit, or whether to have fun or not, since these are what we all want. But it is how to have fun that separates us. Agree?

*edit*

Also, traditional clans do not just run n gun. Tactics are of supreme importance! There's a lot of fine and subtle tactics we use that some of you may not be aware of. We spend hours and hours before every single match trying to refine our strategies, even on maps we know every single inch by heart. To say we only "run n gun" is being extremely ignorant and sounds insulting. Trying to say whether the amount of tactics involved is greater or lesser in realism/traditional clans is missing the point. We employ very different tactics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Munk Polkadot said:
@ Von Hiltz,

The spirit of camaraderie and open-mindedness are there too in traditional clans. We also care about other clans and their well being. The battle hardened clans do not look down on the newer, less experienced clans, such as in RO Ladder. We try to encourage them and keep at it. Read what Manstein said. Since the original mod clans are so few in numbers, everbody knows everybody else in that community. And we want to introduce new clans to RO become a part of the community. But it seems some, if not most, realism clans want to stay out and remain in their own world.

In the end, I think what separates traditional clans and realism clans is not the importance of winning, the value of team spirit, or whether to have fun or not, since these are what we all want. But it is how to have fun that separates us. Agree?

Ok first off I was very careful to give the benefit of the doubt that Inforcers have developed a well estabished group of allied clans which you work with on various levels. I wouldn't expect any less from a quality organization like yours.

My point was in general about my experience in the meat grinder of TWL. With considerably more Clans then Realism Units the odds of coming across a group of (more often than not) idiots, with a ridiculous clan name like KrackHouse Assassins or Dripping wet sausage is greater. And when they challenge you to a match you know right away this is gonna be a mess. No servers, a week to reply to match comms, and attitude ect. ect. the list goes on.

Realistically the Inforcers and others in your field have the same amount of hours and dedication into developing a clan as would a quality Realsim Unit. I guess it is the set of standards required to get on the list that possibly deters these meat puppets from bothering to do it. Plus they like thier foolish identity.

Our last TWL occurance for RO entailed a team with 3 members signed up who challenged us to a 5 vs 5. On match day they still only had 3. By the rules they loose right there. Yet for two weeks they bitched to the admin to give them the forfiet win cause we never showed up. Why would we? Rules state players cannot join ladder and play the same day. This is why I am so happy to be where I am. Granted these teams are few and far between on the ladder and should in no way reflect on quality teams, but over the duration it still makes one synical.

CAL seemed a little better as far as maturity, yet when your on the 12 vs 12 ladder the teams your playing have to have thier **** together to even be on that ladder.

Sorry to bore with my lifes experience but to answer the question of why I am here. Thats it in a nutshell!

I really have to disagree that we are so different from you in the essence of gamers playing a game. Yes different map scenario and rules, yes more historical accuracy and detail required in our image. For the optics of those watching and the interest of those involved. Tactically yes we do things in practice that would be useless on a 5 vs 5 or 8 vs 8. As the new guy on the block I have noticed this alot as I learn the ways of the community. But if I am in the Apts in Odessa with my STG 44 and I get instant CC contact. I am blasting from the hip without a doubt. Hell I may even jump to throw a grenade a little farther. Monk I have fought side by side with you many times in my server, and when we were crawling through the warehouse in Stalingrad together looking for Ruskies there was no, I do it my way and you do it yours. We fought to win and co-operated as required.

Really what keeps us different, and apart, and unwilling to care enough to build an alliance is this thread. To date no Non Realism Clans have stopped in my forums to say hey. And I am guilty of the reverse aswell. There is absolutely no valid reason any Realism unit could not set up a match with you guys. A little negotiation regarding rules, eg. this time we play 8 vs 8 rules next time you play Realism rules. It would be like the All Star game with the DH. lol

The RO forums was probably a bad place for a meet and greet of the communities. Too public, and I suppose too much at stake for everyone not to save face once the negativity started. I suppose in this situation infamiliarity breeds contempt.

So to sum it up 9th SS will play Inforcers in a scrim, your rules, ours. Does not matter. Getting pwned provides good tactical debriefing for my troops. And reinstitutes in thier minds of how important training is. So lets get out of here and into each others forums to make aquaintance.

Munk Polkadot said:
*edit*

Also, traditional clans do not just run n gun. Tactics are of supreme importance! There's a lot of fine and subtle tactics we use that some of you may not be aware of. We spend hours and hours before every single match trying to refine our strategies, even on maps we know every single inch by heart. To say we only "run n gun" is being extremely ignorant and sounds insulting. Trying to say whether the amount of tactics involved is greater or lesser in realism/traditional clans is missing the point. We employ very different tactics.

And as for this statement, its true. When we played them on Basovka 5 vs 5. Regardless that we were new to RO these guys had thier **** wired tight. They may as well have been realism cause they were tactically superior in thier methods. And extremely profficient in individual skills. As far as I am concerned with small scale unit engagements on that map there is only one way to play it. Know your surroundings, work as a a team, and shoot straight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well i guess it was a good decision not going to TWL :).

Since not everyone might know it i introduce myself, i am currently the Clanleader/Commander of the Realism Unit/Clan "Jagdkommando Ost". I myself prefer it if we are reffered to as Unit/Einheit, but i don't feel insulted if the term Clan is used.

We have just yesterday played our first "Fronteinsatz" (Friendly Scrim) against the 311st (as we refer to C3ll in internal Documents), we played according to the normal ROLadder Rules, and i witnessed no Nadespamming or other Gamey Tactics emploeyed by C3ll (i'm pretty sure Project.Twilight, 13th Panzer Division, fmj and other Top RO Clans do neither).

Considering that both Sides had fun playing the Match, one may ask why we did play a "normal Clan". Well its actually quite simple, we're a new Unit seeking to improve our Play and learn to apply Tactics to all Situations and this means battling many different Opponents.

And yes we played 2 Rounds as Axis and 2 as Allied Forces, some may say that this is not befitting for a Realism Unit, but i personally say that it never hurts to fight in the Enemies Shoes to learn more about the game. Someone only playing as Axis will never be as good as someone playing both Sides now and than.

This is after all a Game, and if you don't try to play at the best of your ability your being quite unpolite towards your Opponent imho. I say ability and not try to win at all costs, cause that is something not need to have fun. Try as hard as you can, if you win don't act like a prat (sp?), and if you loose try harder and be a good Sportsman. After all its a Game and the Play is what we play for and not to gloat like a 12 Year old.

Well as a side note: I would never play RO in a "real" match with anything less than 8vs8, i'd rather play Titan Quest or D2 instead of that.

P.S.
Yeah i know someone will ask so i simply state that both Teams won 2 rounds each of 4 total. And that it was a hard, fair and well fought Match.

Upvote 0
Yes i did, thanks

I'm currently working on adding an Outdoor Area with a Tank Range, i will forfeit Realism here and add Respawning Tank Factories to allow for hit effects. In the next Incarnation i may remove that Jakdo Designation and replace it with the Name of a City as Landmark.

Though some Problems arise from the Fact that the original Map is made up by Subtracted Cubes and not real Building Cubes.

Upvote 0
Its absolutely the coolest accessory to a game I've ever had the good fortune to use. We have it up 24/7 on a server for our guys to hang out or train in. We are presently holding marksmanship contests within the ranks.

Even the spawn office in the middle chamber has found a purpose, we practice getting grenades through the window panes, or in most cases running away from a comebacker (rebound). If I may suggest something (I say this tongue and cheek) Some lounge furniture and a radio would be nice. True, but seriously outstanding idea those down range targets blow me away.

Just out of curiosity is the fade away of the bullet holes a fixed property or adjustable?

Upvote 0
Veeeerrrrry eeeeenterestink.

History: 42, BA (in history), US Army family, stationed in Germany for 3 years, seen all the battle scars first hand. Started PC gaming with TF, to CS, to DoD, and found a home in RO. Only game I play.

So that's me.

I think this discussion has merit. Some folks, like the 2SS fellow above, could not care less. Well and good. We shall struggle on without you and yours. Herr Von Hiltz, on the other hand, I find to be very helpful with our perception of what realism play is all about, and is more than willing to work toward a mutual understanding, at the very least. Cheers! :D

The situation, as I see it, is that most of the RO clans are split into three leagues, TWL, ROLadder, and the new IC; this is furthered by the split between the realism groups and rest of the RO competitive community. This results in each community (and sub-league within) having a small base for competition.

I think what my friend Kayos is trying to do is open an avenue of communication so that we can improve not only our own respective spheres of play, but the RO community at large. Since we are a niche game with a small community, it makes sense to some of us that to get a variety of play against organized teams, we need to start by talking, with the ultimate goal of having a friendly scrimmage or two. The rules? I think any experienced gamer and any disciplined clan or unit should have no problem improvising new strategies, adapting to a new style, and overcoming any obstacles toward their goals.

Nobody is saying this has to be official ladder play, or official realism play. The key word is "play."

Upvote 0
Munk Polkadot said:
Minor correction though: Iron Crescendo is not a ladder or a league. It's a roleplaying, campaign style competition in which anyone can join and play. Much like the old BFE. It has nothing to do with clans. In fact, I'm in it too! ;)

Yes i personally think there are more non-Clan Players in there than Clan Players, though i could be wrong.

Upvote 0
Now the way I see it is that there's gonna always be an unfortunate divide between the realism units and the "regular" clans. Nothing wrong with being in either of these. The reason why I joined a realism unit was because I was getting sick and tired of the old clan "machisma" where you would either be the victor and bash the opponent with slurs and insults or you would be the loser and be the victim of slurs and insults towards you.

Once being in a clan in Counter-Strike (I know the so-called "community" of that damned game averages about 10 years of age), whenever something in a server during a scrim went wrong, the guest clan would just ***** and moan about "how much your server sucks, blah blah blah, we're starting over, blah blah blah, you guys suck, blah blah blah". I'm sure the Red Orchestra clan community is a bit more mature than that, but I joined a realism unit for guaranteed maturity. It comes with the nature of such a unit if the unit functions properly with discipline and order.

With that said, I'm not bashing RO clans in any way, but just explaining my motive for joining a realism unit. I'm not quite sure how this clan-vs.-unit thing would work out, but reading through the thread a bit, cut the crap about bashing a realism unit just because we're a niche within a niche, otherwise your overlying goal in your first post would never come true.

Upvote 0
Well, I can't speak for the clans which are new to RO, but the clans from the mod days do not behave in such a negative and juvenile way. After matches, we would hang out. We would host training nights and get-to-know-you nights, and when we saw each other on regular servers we gave respect and backed each other up over the claims of "hacking." Just the other night, CoR/CiA hosted an impromptu game night featuring 13th, CoR, CiA, CoreNA, [-I-], and I think a few members of newer clans, all mixed together. An amazing game.

These clans could be considered the original "realism" units because we searched high and low for the most realistic game we could find, and then supported it with money to run servers, time and effort. When there were only a handful of active servers in the US and EU, we were there. We helped keep this thing alive.

The development team used our clanbase to help out with testing and so forth for years, because we knew the game inside and out and could be trusted not to spill the beans.

Other gaming communities are not like this one, and we helped make it so from the beginning. Taking an example from any other game community and comparing it to RO is incorrect.

Even here, we take the lead. We are trying to understand the new elements which have joined us in RO, reaching out a hand in friendship.

Upvote 0
Tripper said:
These clans could be considered the original "realism" units because we searched high and low for the most realistic game we could find, and then supported it.

You could be considered, but you arent.

Tripper said:
I think this discussion has merit. Some folks, like the 2SS fellow above, could not care less.

Did you ever ask for my help? All I stated was, I dont care about regular clan type gamming. Never said I hated it or despised it. If you want information on Realism and how to do it correctly, feel free to ask.

Upvote 0