• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Roaming -good or bad?

Yes. Except you should be able to haunt people while doing so. Things along the lines of setting satchels off ten seconds early, and such.

You should also have a supply of ectoplasm you can shoot at people/other roaming spectators/tanks/doorways.

In fact, there should be a special class for each side with the specific directive of hunting down the roaming spectators and trapping them in small containment units.

Don't cross the beams.

Upvote 0
I find myself floating around snooping out the sniper-who-got-me's perch more and more often. It's not realistic and I shouldn't be doing it but as long as it's there, and anyone can do it it's not cheating. However, something should be done about it and the black screen is too boring. Perhaps forcing you to only see what your teammates see while you wait to respawn is the best bet.

Upvote 0
TBH,

Realism...I dont want to get all spiritual/metaphysical with you...But from what some religions/stories say...After death, you can...In FACT: roam around seeing things...

But yeah, for the 'realism' junkies...That is a big deal to not have ghosting...IMO I don't find ghosting to be much of a big deal...I think there could be some other things 'more important' to address about realism that needs to be fixed, other than ghosting of course...

So for my opinion of it...I am middle of the road...I dont mind it...

Upvote 0
6th army deserter said:
Do you think it is fair /realistic that you can roam after being killed?
Probably not. Although there's usually only a few seconds before you respawn, so it's hard to find out something you didn't already know.

For serious matches or competitive play it definitely oughta be disabled though. Otherwise it doesn't bother me too much -- certainly isn't unfair since both sides have it. Not any less realistic than respawning. :)

Upvote 0
the black screen FTW
that is the best there is to not be able to see where your killer shot from. seeing through a team-mates eyes still gives away enemy positions, leading to running there from another route, and killing him, with more carelessness IMO
the black screen makes sure you dont know anything about the battlefield when you return to it, thus making you more carefull, the way it should be

though, it is nice to watch your own ragdoll ^^ maybe only a topdown view ofyourself, not to high

Upvote 0
PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN said:
I like roaming in public servers. I want to be able to continue watching the battle while I wait for a respawn and I HATE having to sit there looking at a black screen. Besides, ghosting's really not much of a problem, at least not on Aussie servers. It's an incredibly rare event for ANYone to ghost.

I agree with this.

It's not THAT big of a deal. Ususally the respawn times are low enough that you don't have a chance to go find out anything very useful anyway. And the black screen is just annoying.

This is for pub servers. I guess in clan matches, which are more competitive, I can see why they'd turn it off.

But it's annoying staring at a black screen for 30 seconds.

Upvote 0
PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN said:
I like roaming in public servers. I want to be able to continue watching the battle while I wait for a respawn and I HATE having to sit there looking at a black screen. Besides, ghosting's really not much of a problem, at least not on Aussie servers. It's an incredibly rare event for ANYone to ghost.

_everyone_ ghosts while roaming. You can accidently see things that you shouldnt.

You are impatient action gamer if you can't stand the xx-second blackness.

Upvote 0
I have no problems with ghosting on publics as this breaks the tedium between spawn times, (Yes it gives some tactics away as you can see the opposition through the perspective of another player).

It gets boring waiting 30 seconds to spawn looking at a black screen after a while.

Clan matches are a different ball game & this feature is always turned off to prevent the advantage of VOIP relaying of information.

Upvote 0
6th army deserter said:
Do you think it is fair /realistic that you can roam after being killed?
Do you think its fair/realistic to respawn after being killed?
now ur just crossing the line jeesus its a game. next thing youll know youll have someone complainng that you cant take dog tags of fallen comrades and send their letters to their mommies.But seriously, ghosting can be a problem, shuld be a server option .

Upvote 0
Allthough I like having blackscreen on on clan-scrims (to not give away our tactics), it doesn't bother me on publics.

Honestly, after playing a map a few times, you can tell where your killer was simply by the location you were at, the distance of the gunsound, the gun used and the direction of the sound (even if you only hear it in stereo).
Then, with respawntimes being very rarely longer than 7 seconds, spying out enemy plans isn't that much of a problem... and even though the spawntimes are short, the situation will most likely be totally different when you spawn anyway, let alone until you finsish typing it.

I understand that it can be a problem on games without respawns like AA, as you gain an unfair advantage, but with the constant spawning and shifting of the frontlines, it doesn't really gain you much.

So, in short: Ghosting never was, isn't and never will be a problem with RO.

Upvote 0