• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Clearification on bullet penetration

zeep

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
I've read some threads after doing a search on bullet penetration. In one thread Ramm posted there is no bullet penetration in RO. However i've not seen this stated for RO:O.

So i'm wondering if there are plans for implementing this feature into RO:O in the future?

I don't think penetration would be too hard to do, though I admit, I'm not a programmer of any kind.

But here's what I'm thinking:

All bullets penetrate through at least 1 person and continue to travel to possibly hit a second person. All bullets would do full normal damage to the 2nd person except pistol bullets, which would do half of normal damage.

Bullets penetrate A LOT, especially FMJ (which is pretty much every bullet in RO). Check this out to see what I mean:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/

Of course, the bullet would likely waver off course and slow down so ballistically that would be a pain to model, but I doubt it would be much of a factor so it could be ignored. I mean, seriously, what's the chance of you shooting some guy at 50 yards and the bullet continuing on to kill a guy at 400 yards? Not going to happen. It'll be more like two guys at 10 yards right next to each other. So my point is, just pretend the bullet continues to travel straight-line at full speed. That isn't hard to model, right?

What WOULD be hard, in my opinion, would be penetration with regards to obstactles like trees, sandbags, walls, stuff like that. Basically assume pistol bullets can penetrate 12 inches and retain half of normal damage, and rifle bullets can penetrate 20 inches and retain half of normal damage.

Something like that. If RO could implement this, at the very least person-to-person penetration, that would be awesome.

Upvote 0
Person-penetrating (for lack of a better term) was already existed in the mod. I aimed at two soldiers standing in a line and fired a single shot with my rifle and killed them both. Apparently, the bullet went right through one and killed the other too. I've only seen it happen like five times in the entire six month I played it.
But penetration of a game environment is completely different matter and is almost impossible on the current game engine.

Upvote 0
Munk Polkadot said:
Person-penetrating (for lack of a better term) was already existed in the mod. I aimed at two soldiers standing in a line and fired a single shot with my rifle and killed them both. Apparently, the bullet went right through one and killed the other too. I've only seen it happen like five times in the entire six month I played it.
But penetration of a game environment is completely different matter and is almost impossible on the current game engine.

i wouldnt say almost impossible, the problem is the ballistics and the over complex calculations that would be needed to make this realistic (check the materials, have material dependant modifiers to alter the bullets direction along with some random values). Now imagine that for a MG42 ;)

btw. the "shooting through a person" was a little weird. We tried before a clanwar started and had 1 bullet-8kills iirc.
Thats exactly the effect you would get if you dont change the bullets property after it hit something

Upvote 0