• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Slowing down exit from Tanks (merged)

Yes, this is an old topic, but if saying it again gets results so be it.

Personally I think 10 seconds is enough to get in, out or change postitions in a vehicle. 30 seems exceedingly slow.

There also needs to be penalties for exiting frmo vehicles moving quickly, similar to jumping from too high. At medium speeds you should take damage, at higher you should be dead.

The animation might be tricky. When exactly would the person be "out" and targetable. Perhaps a 10 second delay with 5 of the seconds spent with the avatar frozen in place outside the vehicle? Trying to add an animation with a physically separated and targettable avatar seems a little too difficult but slowing down the move while also making the player vulnerable for a short time would seem appropriate.

Upvote 0
Slowing down exit from Tanks (merged)

You know the story, you are in a pitched battle with another tank at range with his shells bouncing off your armour you finally get the "kill shot" only no kill as he has bailed out just before the round hits.

I was thinking of easy ways to slow down the time it takes to get out of the tank and thought why not use the animation sequences.

eg. The driver is buttoned up and wants to exit, he presses exit key and the animation for opening his hatch plays before he is allowed out of the tank.

The gunner and commander take longer as they have to get out via the turret, so they see the commanders animations, first the turret inside view, then opening the turret hatch before they can leave the tank.

These animations could also be used to make getting in the tank more realistic and prevent people popping in and out of tanks in seconds

Probably posted before but just an idea.

Upvote 0
They should slow down both the entering and exiting. So that when you are shooting at some tank commander, he can`t just pop into a tank and kill you. Unfair if you ask me.

When you hold "use", some kind of a bar should appear that shows you the progress of entering/exiting.
Should take total of 3-5 sec

sry for bad english

Upvote 0
My guess on why it hasn't been implemented is, the insta-exit is probably very hard coded in from the Unreal vehicle code, and it'll take quite a bit of programming to "fix" it.

And I suppose the Devs have prioritized other things.

Or they want to do a very detailed exit animation, and are still busy building all of the art and anims for every tank.

Or they're saving it for the UE3 game, so they don't have to recreate all the art and anims again.

Or they don't mind the insta-exit, and don't see a problem, or much of a problem (which I doubt).

Upvote 0
malice said:
I would say its this one

Of all the things they wanted to do or have to fix this one is minor

it's really not though. adding a delay in exiting all vehicles (and any animations) solves TONS of current in game game-play problems. the clown car crap, etc.

IMO, it's one of the most important issues out there right now, as effects key aspects of everyone's game play.

Upvote 0
Possible easy to implement exit from vehicle delay

Possible easy to implement exit from vehicle delay

We've all snuck up behind a tank, only to have the driver pop out instantaniously and spray us down before we can even react...

We've all been driving a tank, and had a Clowncar blow by behind us, had the driver jump out, drop a satchel, and get back in before we can get the turret around...

Both of these situations are "gamey" and it's been suggested that a delay be added when entering and exiting a vehicle. While in an ideal world, we'd have animation showing your avatar opening the hatch, climbing out, and jumping down... I realize this is a royal pain to code and model within the limitations set by the UT engine.

What I'd like to suggest is a simple compromise that involves NO additional art resources and which I would imagine shouldn't be too hard to code:

Only allow exit from a vehicle when the hatch is open. If you're in the gunsite or zoomed in driver view, you have to mousewheel scroll back to open hatches before you can hit use to jump out.

This causes a (small) delay while the already existing hatch open animation runs. It also has the affect of giving warning to people outside that you're exiting the tank (ie they see the hatch open).

This adds the desirable effect of making tanks more dependent on supporting infantry, without swinging the pendulum as far as a full delay and animation would. (which in my opinion would neccesitate limiting the number of satchels and panzerfausts that can be carried to more realistic levels)

Upvote 0