• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

arad is...

Arad was good before the patch. the extra ba-64s just unbalances it way way too much. right now the allies can take the south field before any axis can get to it even. when the allies work as a team and get the infantry to take objectives in the BA-64s they can take both the south field and village before the axis can do much of anything to stop them. basicly the Allied spawn needs to be moved back to compansate for the speed of the russian tanks and armored cars.

Upvote 0
REZ said:
Orel. I dont know why its so popular when Perekop, a map twice as good, was so fervently rejected.

Orel. 90 minutes of tank sniping. I've played it once, and that was enough. I spent 40 minutes on foot inside a building, slowly capping... I'll never play that map again.
If you spent 40 min on foot in a house- on a tank map - slowly capping, you may have missed the point of the tank map Orel.

Try again plz...

Upvote 0
Plaid13 said:
Arad was good before the patch. the extra ba-64s just unbalances it way way too much. right now the allies can take the south field before any axis can get to it even. when the allies work as a team and get the infantry to take objectives in the BA-64s they can take both the south field and village before the axis can do much of anything to stop them. basicly the Allied spawn needs to be moved back to compansate for the speed of the russian tanks and armored cars.
Also IS-2 dominates the game, as there are not much space to manuever or flank.The battle ranges are very low, usually 300-400 meters.Nothing has a chance agains IS-2 in those ranges. Just put your tank at a good angle in the German fields and they're not gonna win :)

Upvote 0
I loved Perekop, only problem was that it was big. Of course, that problem exists with Orel, too.

If Orel were more linear and not such a spread-out battleground, or if we had 64 players, I might enjoy it more. As it is, I dislike having to duel a Panther with an SU-76 for 15 minutes alone because nobody will come help me defend our last Soviet cap point.

Upvote 0
Deathsai said:
I loved Perekop, only problem was that it was big. Of course, that problem exists with Orel, too.

If Orel were more linear and not such a spread-out battleground, or if we had 64 players, I might enjoy it more. As it is, I dislike having to duel a Panther with an SU-76 for 15 minutes alone because nobody will come help me defend our last Soviet cap point.

I like Orel, but it is far from perfect. I agree that a more linear progression from one objective to another could be a better option.
Or perhaps a main road that branches off to two different areas, with two or three objectives within each area.

Upvote 0
Mogwart said:
arad sucks :eek: . I dont know why everyone likes playing it so much. I personally prefer odessa stalingradkessel orel kaukasus etc. Arad is not exactly a work of art :(

post patch, arad is an un-balanced pile of feces. the map was greatly improved visually. but the germans are lucky to win 1 in 20 rounds. the entire force pool needs to be re-worked.

it's only fun playing as russians, but after awhile, if you have a conscience, you feel dirty for the raping you dish out.

Upvote 0
yeeeah, I was originally in a tank, however it was destroyed. As it was about to go up in flames I pondered on the 10 minute drive back to the action, and decided I would jump out, flank on foot, and kill the enemy tank that blew up my ride, which I did. I then walked to the nearest capzone and sat, and twiddled my thumbs, and played some jacks, made some tea, called some relatives... so on and so forth.

You guys would've liked Perekop.

Upvote 0
Egads, Arad is tough on the Germans now! People complained before but I have to agree, the second Clown Car is too much! I played about 8 or 9 rounds on the RTR server last night as Sov and when the Germans won one round I was shocked!

I always let the server select my team but I am going to start opting for German on Arad. Even if they have numbers it is tough for them.

It is critical that the Germans get a pair into the tanks and race to the South Village and Field ASAP. Charging the North Field is nice but it just doesn't work usually. By the time they can claim that field the clwon cars have dropped off full loads of troops in the South Villiage and the South Field has several T-34s in it. The Germans won last night is when they made a real effort to stop the cap rush on the southern objectives, holding back from the North Filed and Town. After blunting the rush they then were able to slowly push the startled Russians ("Why is this game still going, haven't we won?") back and win.

The IS-2 is tough but I know for a fact that I was killed with single shots from every German tank. Several were right on the frontal armor as well. The IS-2 is a beast but is at a disadvantage at close ranges. Use the dips in the terrain to race around it with the Panzer IV. Having a two man tank is critical for this.

Upvote 0
Arad is basically a shooting gallery now. I use it as a live target range and that's about it. I practice a few techniques here and there with angling and trying to fire over hills to hit obscured targets.

Orel is good, but not perfect. A slightly shorter drive would vastly improve the map. (IE: starting already across the bridges)

Hopefully other tank maps will improve on what makes Orel fun while removing what makes it not so fun.

I do remember Kalinin, which was...eh. The problem there was similar to Orel. you got nice long-range tank duels, but the map was so damn hilly that it took FOREVER to get anywhere.

But, as for why people play Arad instead of Kaukasus, I'd imagine it's because they'd rather play a tank/CA map instead of an infantry only one.

Upvote 0
REZ said:
yeeeah, I was originally in a tank, however it was destroyed. As it was about to go up in flames I pondered on the 10 minute drive back to the action, and decided I would jump out, flank on foot, and kill the enemy tank that blew up my ride, which I did. I then walked to the nearest capzone and sat, and twiddled my thumbs, and played some jacks, made some tea, called some relatives... so on and so forth.

You guys would've liked Perekop.

Did you bother calling out on VOIP for a pickup? I often will bail from a disabled tank on Orel and find myself calling for a pickup. More often than not someone will come along.

Upvote 0
Yes I did, and actually one did come up to where I was... although as soon as he got there his tank was blown too... so there we were, a couple of footsies with MP40s. This wasnt the 88 76 version, it was an early release, but after that (especially with the 90 min time limit) I dont care to go back.

....groundpounder, ha!

Silly rabbit... armor s'for kids! :D

Upvote 0
Musketeer said:
Did you bother calling out on VOIP for a pickup? I often will bail from a disabled tank on Orel and find myself calling for a pickup. More often than not someone will come along.

yeah, I was quite pleasantly surprised when a guy in game (someone from these forums as a matter of fact) made it a point to pick me up near the ruins, after I capped it and my tank was "red".

pretty cool! :D

Upvote 0