• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How is the Game?

Constantine

Jul 18, 2006
How is Red Orchestra like in comparison to Day of Defeat: Source?

I have purchased DoD:S and I very much like. I would like to see if this game is worth buying as I have not heard much from it. I ask this question because I rather not waste my money on something that isn't up to par with other games. I purchased DoD:S because I played the previous DoD and I liked it as well. So a comparison with other similar Genre would be great.

I have played Call of Duty before and other WWII games and liked them very much, just for more games to compare too.

A free weekend playtime like DoD:S did a week for other people that haven't played DoD before would be a nice endoresment for this game because I've heard that the gameplay is different from other WWII Games. Since it is downloadable, 2 Days of giving people a taste of this game would help people such as me decide. I'm sure I am not the only one.

Are where are the servers located? or Is it setup the same way as DoD:S, CS:S, etc. that people have their own servers all over the world? I'm US Central.

Thank You.

Well, DOD:S and COD are total arcade compared to RO.
IMO. DOD:S and COD are total bull****.

I liked the old versions of DOD - because it was best that you could get by then - afterwards I tried DOD:S and noticed they have made it worse, no progress in gameplay (some steps backwards like less weapons and more unrealistic hud/on screen messages, movespeed insane - only new things was engine and gfx.)

RO combines tanks (and some other vehicles) and infantry in same package with huge success. If you seek running and gunning with crosshair - RO ain't your game but if you want something improved and complex than DOD:S or COD, then you really should try RO:OST.

Upvote 0
Whisper it quietly, RO is more of a sim than a FPS and all the better for it. Before all you history buffs start with the "no its not, Germans NEVER wore that style of tunic button till 1944!!" remember, these things are relative. RO is a GREAT game, far more based in realism than any of the aforementioned arcade fare. Just be aware, that the learning curve can be steep to start with. Stick with it though, its worth it.

Upvote 0
RO is very unlike DoD or CoD, so don't expect RO to play anything like either of them. It has more in common with games like America's Army and Operation Flashpoint. It's a far slower paced game where "camping" is a legitimate tactic and a team of average players that works together will bury a team where one or two "l337" players attempt to dominate (as opposed to something like CS where the team with 1 or 2 1337 players wins every time. There are no crosshairs, the weapons don't shoot at a fixed point on the screen and you need to use your ironsights to get an accurate shot. Maps are far larger than in DoD/CoD and while you won't get the short, intense firefights of those games, you will find though that you get longer, more pitched battles over cap zones. You can't win by just sprinting through the gunfire to grab a flag and magically capture the territory. If you want a zone, then you have to genuinely control it, like in a real war.

Speaking of which, I suppose in terms of game type it's most like DoD. You need to capture and hold zones on the map. The more people in a zone at once, the faster you can cap it. If you die, you respawn in waves back at your current spawn point shortly after.

Personally, I'd say that if DoD: S "roxors your sockdraw", then perhaps you may want to wait for a free weekend or a demo rather than just jumping in. That said, you may very well think it's the best thing since sliced bread, you won't know until you've tried it. My advice would be to watch a couple of gameplay videos to get an idea of how the game plays and perhaps try reading this:

http://dslyecxi.com/roost_impressions.html

Even though it's based on the Beta (months ago now), it's still one of the best and most comprehensive articles out there.

Upvote 0
Buy Now

Buy Now

As I said once before a couple of weeks or so ago, I feel sorry for poor old DodS, hasn't been played since RO was released.

I played dod since beta 1.2 I think.
RO since UT2003, I think.
These two took over from TF classic, so I'm waiting with impatience for TF 2 !

Just buy the game, if you are a gamer, you will have no regrets.. ;)

Upvote 0
I guess the main thing is don't go into it expecting it to be like DoD/CoD. It's not a fast paced instant action pickup and play type of game. It's more strategic/teambased and running around like a headless chicken like in DoD/CoD isn't going to work.

You may well find it frustrating at first due to the lack of cross hairs and slower (more realistic) movement but if you persevere you will adpat to it and see how good it is. :)

Some people 'get it' straight away and have no problem getting in to it but I know it takes others a while.

Upvote 0
JudgeMental said:
Whisper it quietly, RO is more of a sim than a FPS and all the better for it. Before all you history buffs start with the "no its not, Germans NEVER wore that style of tunic button till 1944!!" remember, these things are relative. RO is a GREAT game, far more based in realism than any of the aforementioned arcade fare. Just be aware, that the learning curve can be steep to start with. Stick with it though, its worth it.

it is no SIM it is still pure FPS... it is just not that arcade in many things... but when you get used to RO game style than you can do many gameiii thingies... like in any other game...

Upvote 0
And about servers:

Yes, people make their own servers and yes they are scattered all around the world. bear in mind though; RO:O is playable with up to 200 ping, it's just the way the netcode is made. 100 ping is very playable.

As the others have said, don't buy it and expect it to be another CoD or DoD:S clone. RO:O is much more than any of those.

RO:O is a dirty old war-veteran standing in a trench with mud all over him, a cigarette butt in the corner of his mouth and a cold, fierce glint in his eye.

DoD and CoD are, well, some glossy Hollywood moviestars who never do their own stunts and cry like babies when they get dirt under their nails.

Upvote 0
MILK said:
it is no SIM it is still pure FPS... it is just not that arcade in many things... but when you get used to RO game style than you can do many gameiii thingies... like in any other game...

I said more of a sim, LOL. I did not say it was one. AND I said these things were relative. Please read everything rather than disecting one word :D cheers mate.

Upvote 0
Firstly, how old are you cos you might not be old enough to appreciate RO

Secondly, you played original DOD (1.3) but you like DODS. Hmmm ok another sign you might not get this game.

But thirdly you certainly sound like you're into your online shooters so therefore like a challenge. So my advise would be, if you are the kind of person who enjoys said challenges, set in a an extremely realistic setting, then RO might just be for you :D

Upvote 0
Just a note on pings and playability, when people say that 200 ping is playable, it is, however that doesn't mean you don't have to compensate. You still need to lead your shot to hit anyone.

It's not due to netcode either, it's down to the speed of the player, the distances involved (or more specifically,the relativity as a result) and the way that you aim. Don't expect to just aim straight at someone and have the game compensate. That said, it's still very playable. I played the mod version for 2 years almost exclusively on 200-300 ping and still outplayed most low-pinging players. Not that it would matter for you, there're plenty of U.S. servers for you to play in anyway.

Regarding the age comment above, don't take that the wrong way. What he means is that the majority of RO players are more mature age gamers. There are very few players younger than 21 and huge percentage are well over 30 (according to the poll run on these forums a few months back). RO seems to appeal more to older gamers than younger, that's all.

Upvote 0
First off I'm 21 and i'm sure thats more than enough of maturity for this game.

Will the game run smoothly on my Computer? And on settings?

Specs:

Abit NF7-S Rev. 2.0 Mobo
AMD 2800+ Athlon XP Thoroughbred OC'ed to 2.4Ghz
DDR333 512MB timing 2-2-2-6
nVidia 6800 Vanilla 128MB 256 bit
Built in 5.1 nForce Sound Card
Hitachi Deskstar SATA 250GB 8mb Cache 7200RPM

Thats the gist of it.

I'm liking the sound of this game, TBH, I play MMORPGs. I prefer complexity and TEAMWORK over running and gunning it, but running and gunning has its perks.

I have played RTS games a lot, specially AoE: AoK (Age of Empires : Age of Kings) and that game has plenty of strategy involved along with complexity when it comes to teamwork, as I said I prefer it over DoD:S style of play. I like challenge and teamwork.

The tanks and howitzers are a nice change of atmosphere as compared to the typical Gun/Knife Equipment setup typical of FPS.

How does strategy play a role in this game and specially teamwork? I would like to know. How is the Gameplay from your experiences? Shooting styles? Maps? I know these can be read through the articles and the main website but I'd like to hear it directly from the players. Goals? (i.e. Capture the Flag style, King of the Hill, Eliminate everyone, etc.)

Thank you.

P.S. Depending on how you answer these questions I might just buy it :D.

Upvote 0