• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics A message to the TT extremists

Meh, I've had commanders who lag like that, yelling "STOP!" for thirty seconds after I'm stopped. It's wierd. Personally, I think the guy was looking for an excuse as to why he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if I'd parked the tank inside it.

About the only time I solo is if there are more tanks than tankers. I'll admit that I'd much rather solo than team up with a total 'tard, but that's what infantry classes are for. If the tanks are being occupied, and everybody sucks at TT, I'll just switch to an infantry class.

You've gotta give the TT crewmembers a chance to prove themselves, too... "Proven" ain't gonna happen if you refuse to team up with anybody.

Upvote 0
I was playing on Orel the other night with a friend -- we'd alternate between team tanking and dual-solo tanking. So at one point, we're team tanking and drove to one of the opposing team's destroyable bridges.

So my bud, who was driving, parks the tank and jumps out to go satchel, then gets back in and decides to move the tank a bit further away and jumps out a second time.

The tank starts moving a third time, and I'm talking to my friend on TS, thinking that for some reason he was moving it again. Suddenly I realize that it's actually ANOTHER GUY who decided to randomly jump into our tank in the middle of the feild and start driving it! The guy actually got out of another tank he was driving with someone else and got into ours -- no warning or anything. Before I could say anything, the guy drives the tank INTO THE RIVER, which killed me since I was unbuttoned in the commander position.

It's kind of funny looking back on it, but I was kinda pissed at the time. So I ask him why the hell he got in my tank and drove it underwater, and he replies with "I missed the bridge". So I start asking him why he'd just randomly start driving someone's tank in the middle of the battlefeild, and he starts going off on how it's a team game and tanks are supposed to be crewed, etc.

LOL.

Oh well, sometime you just get the winners, I guess.

I do wear the TT logo, and will usually try to team up with someone I don't know if they jump in my tank (in spawn). And I like solo tanking just as much, sometimes even prefer it. But I'll try to communicate with them as well -- it doesn't work otherwise. I don't try to force it on anyone, but I take issue with people who just scream GET OUT SHADOWMAN or something like that if I get in with them. I'll usually just get out, but holy ***** you can't at least try to ask without barking orders like a five-year-old? No wonder some people don't want to comply.

Upvote 0
I usually hit the V-6-9 when I see someone join the tank. Not because I necessarily want a person out but rather I refuse to tank with a bot.

I wonder how many without mics do the same?

You've gotta give the TT crewmembers a chance to prove themselves, too... "Proven" ain't gonna happen if you refuse to team up with anybody.

As I said, I have teamed up with several guys and had a great experience. That is what buddy list's are for btw. I don't just team up with anyone though if I can help it. If a player acts mature and is trying to do the right thing by the "team" then by all means join my tank. I give them the benefit of the doubt but if they act like an ashat then it won't happen again.

When the game knowledge, tactical knowledge, maturity, and teamwork is in play TT is excellent. If it's not there then get out of my tank and let me support the larger "team". If you refuse I will give up tank usually and go find another map or join the infantry.

Usually the guys I end up TT with are the ones who work well together in solo tanks.

All the best,

Crumpp

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Shadowman said:
The tank starts moving a third time, and I'm talking to my friend on TS, thinking that for some reason he was moving it again. Suddenly I realize that it's actually ANOTHER GUY who decided to randomly jump into our tank in the middle of the feild and start driving it! The guy actually got out of another tank he was driving with someone else and got into ours -- no warning or anything. Before I could say anything, the guy drives the tank INTO THE RIVER, which killed me since I was unbuttoned in the commander position.

Just what I hate as well,

I was playing on arad last night and nobody seemed to want to team tank at all. Everytime I spawned there was like 2 or 3 tank crew waiting for tanks at the spawn. One of them would jump in the next available tank not ask anyone if they would like to crew and just drive off !!!!

Later on I was in a great position just near the south village, lining up a shot at an enemy tank and vroooom, suddenly the tank I am in is driving through he village and straight in front of an enemy tank before I have chance to say wtf ? or line up a shot were both dead.

So let this be a lesson to those wandering around the battle field looking to hitch a ride or jack a tank. ASK BEFORE you just jump in and drive off wherever you want !!!!!

Dave K.

Upvote 0
Lionel-RIchie said:
I don't think I've EVER seen a solo-tanker support infantry. You're far more likely to see the crewed tanks do that...why? The MG will be manned + the gun.

Most of the time solo tankers just find themselves a safe spot on a hill and act like a stationary turret gun, not a tank.

But yeah...those people who spam the "get out!" voice piss me off to no end.

Now this all depends on what tank your talking about, german tactics in ww2 normally consisted of scouting units relaying enemy postitions, the hvy tanks would engage, and the medium's would take advantage of the opening and persue. Thats the theory behind blitzkrieg anyway, not that it always happened.

So, if your talking bout a tiger/panther, then your thinking is flawed, these tanks often engaged at 1000m ranges on russian steppes, cqb is better left for the faster medium/light tanks and assault guns.

As for the OP, i'd have to agree wholeheartedly....:D

I think we can all agree that atm the only real tank map is Orel88vs76, having a tiger roam east / west fields is close to unstoppable, 600-1200m ranges and iv had close to 125+ rounds bounce off my tiger. One guy said he had 4 shells left when he died and all fired at me, mean while he was 1 out of 3 russian tanks firing and hitting me. The tiger was angled, I made runs from East field to south and back, reloaded twice, ended up with track out, engine out, and 10rounds left when a SU76 finally flanked and killed me. The tiger is so slow its not well suited for cqb. I'v had clown cars literally chase me in circles and its impossible to hit them :(

So, to make a short story long...1 person can be a hella of a lot better than 2 in some situations.

Upvote 0
I don't think I've EVER seen a solo-tanker support infantry.

I have seen plenty of solo tankers support the team. BTW, German Army doctrine was for the infantry to support the tanks.

A tank is best used if Infantry moves ahead of the tank and on the flanks keeping the tank safe from AT weapons. If resistance is encountered the tank moves up and reduced it.

That is why APC

Upvote 0
This is something Both solotankers and TT tankers should consider:
(even if the article is for TT's, it will benefit the solo tankers as well)

TEAM TANKING GUIDE:

1) Change nick:
Type "TT" in you nick which means, "Team-tanker".
- A team tanker has to KNOW the following:

a) how to angle the tank at about 1030 and 0130
b) Hull down position
c) prepositioning of the gun
d) how to report enemies (type, clock and range)
e) How to make a effective kill (report no shot)
f) MOve while enemy reloads
g) Keep distance from infantry

2) Spotting and reporting enemies
a) If you are a driver OR commander learn to use the Clock and range to report enemy.
b) The commader MUST report the PRIMARY threat FIRST, so the Driver can angle the tank accordingly!
c) The driver MUST report the most dangerous enemy first, so the commander can eliminate him.
If you meet a tiger aiming at you at the flank, and a Mark 4 that doesnt see you, ANGLE the tank and report the tiger.

Example:
Tiger at 9 Oclock, 200m, PRIORITY!

3) Pre-position the gun.
a) The commander should always pre-position his gun at 1030 or 0130.
This way the drive only has to angle the tank, and the gun will be pointed at the direction of the threat.
This saves ALOT of time, especially when you are driving solo in a tiger.

4) Effective kills:
a) The team tanker should avoid wasting shots on an angled enemy.
Istead the driver should move to a position where he is angled while the enemy is NOT.
If the enemy is solo tanker, he cannot win as he will not be able to turn his tank and reload at the same time.
b) The commander has to know where to hit to make the most effective kills.
This is discussed in some other parts of this forum. The Team tanker SHOULD know.
c) As a commander and you see the enemy has his tank angled Report : "NO-SHOT!"

5) Hull down position:
a) Hull down position means that the enemy can only see the gun of your tank, while the hull of your tank is covered.
THis limits exposure, faces the enemy with the thickest armour, and makes the tank VERY hard to spot.
A driver should know how to put the tank in this position.

6) Advance on enemy reload:
a) Once the enemy has made a shot he will use 10-15 seconds on reloading.
In this time you are free to advance/flank or get in a better position.
b) fighting multiple enemies you may angle at the first tank letting him shoot at you,
then angle at the next tank as the first reloads.
This will able you to fight multiple tanks from different angles without being damaged.
Especially works against solo tankers!!

7) Keep distance from infantry.
a) The panzerfaust is very effective against tanks at less than 80m and you never know who has it.
b) Close to a tank the infantry has increased chance of survival as it's FOV is reduced and movement is slow.

SUmmary:

If you KNOW theese basic rules of tanking you qualify to add "TT" in your nick. I will be happy to drive with you.

Upvote 0
Even the solo tankers need to listen to some of that. :) I kept blowing up this Tiger last night because it'd charge our lines, then turn to drive up and down them, spewing MG fire.

The problem was that got it close to me and my satchel charges. :D So when the tank turned away I'd dash from behind cover and toss a pair onto the back deck.

In a related note, if infantry is close by and shooting your tank with small arms..don't get out of the tank! I've seen that more than once.

Upvote 0
Good advice Tag!

If I may:

• Please don't get in the tank and wildly shoot the cannon and MG while someone else is driving to the destination. I know this has been said many times over, but apparently not enough. OK, it's free week and there are a lot of newcomers who are still learning the game, and I'm happy to give anyone the benefit of the doubt. So, if you're reading this for the first time, now you know! CUT IT OUT! :)
  • The MG's have NO EFFECT on the enemy tanks. Needlessly firing this in between shots is both irritating and gives your position to any others in the area who haven't spotted you yet. Use these for fighting infantry and enemy tankers who have abandoned ship.
Don't worry, we've all made these and other mistakes when we first played. Glad to see so many people trying out the game, and I hope many of you stay on and become regulars.

Upvote 0
kabex said:
No... the grand majority of solo tankers don't give a flying **** about teamwork or tactics.

They sit their asses outside their spawn and try to kill as many enemy tanks as possible, that's their concept of teamplay.

There are some good solo tankers, but maybe 0.00001% of the total.
Looks like you TT'ers need to get the hell off your high and mighty throne and have a look around. Solotanking is what 99% of people do, you're in the minority if you TT. There's nothing wrong with solo tanking believe it or not, in fact, people who like to solo tank usually do it because they dont want to go through the hassel of setting up excellent communication with driver/gunner. I solo tank 100% of the time, and i do not like when people refuse to leave a tank, solo tanking is just as effective if not more effective than team tanking, and i've never seen solotankers who just sit outside the spawn and try to kill as many enemy tanks as possible.

Just because you like the game your way doesn't mean people cant like it their way. Stop talking about solo tanking like it's the devil.

Upvote 0
Vakichev said:
Looks like you TT'ers need to get the hell off your high and mighty throne and have a look around. Solotanking is what 99% of people do, you're in the minority if you TT. There's nothing wrong with solo tanking believe it or not, in fact, people who like to solo tank usually do it because they dont want to go through the hassel of setting up excellent communication with driver/gunner. I solo tank 100% of the time, and i do not like when people refuse to leave a tank, solo tanking is just as effective if not more effective than team tanking, and i've never seen solotankers who just sit outside the spawn and try to kill as many enemy tanks as possible.

Just because you like the game your way doesn't mean people cant like it their way. Stop talking about solo tanking like it's the devil.

lol this is why you are the worst tanker ever.

I do both Solo Tanking and TT. Best thing is when you TT in a T-60 on Orel I like when the german team gets pissed and cries when a T-60 just circled around 5 tanks and shot them all without dying thats teamwork

Upvote 0
Bezukhov said:
lol this is why you are the worst tanker ever.

I do both Solo Tanking and TT. Best thing is when you TT in a T-60 on Orel I like when the german team gets pissed and cries when a T-60 just circled around 5 tanks and shot them all without dying thats teamwork

What are you talking about? I've never even faced off against you in a tank, and i hold my own on every tank map solotanking. I simply don't TT (like i said) because its too much of a hassel to communicate.

Upvote 0
Well now to expand on my last comment I actually had a negative experience with a person wearing the TT tag, happened about a month ago.

Was playing in a local server (infantry map forget which, possibly Odessa) with a few of my fellow clan mates and we were doing quite well all on the one team. There was a TT player on the other side and three times in a row one of my buddies nailed him with his rifle, totally fairly nowhere near a spawn exit or anything. So what does this TT guy do? Well he changes sides and begins TK'ing my clanmate until he gets auto kicked by the server.

I think his name was Pheonix[TT] or something along those lines.

Upvote 0