• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Orel opens up the ultimate teamplay - tank formations!

Mormegil said:
Sorry if this was mentioned before, but I don't have the patience right now to read through all the posts.

People have noted on the 88v76 version of this map, teamwork is required for the Russians to engage a Tiger, and hence actually seen to a major degree.

Perhaps someone should make a map (or a version) with 1 or 2 Allied IS-2's, and no Tigers on the German side (maybe one or two Panthers, but Panzers for the rest). That would force Germans to use teamwork to defeat the IS-2 in much the same way.
well i tell you this when they put the king tiger in the game in a future update:rolleyes::D give me 2 king tigers and i will fight 10 js2s:eek::rolleyes::p

Upvote 0
Sounds like a typical Orel map game. Absolutely love it.

Teamwork and coordination is a must to win. If you get stuck on a side that has a bunch of loonies all running off to do their own thing, you just know you are going to lose this one.

Some Orel servers are better than others I have found. I got one one last night where some idiot named "Ace" was tking people at spawn and using sachel charges to blow up our own tanks at spawn. I tried to report it to the Admin and it turns out HE WAS THE ADMIN. Server was somewhere in the Netherlands I think.

Goes to show that any 12year old can run a server. Been thinking about setting up my own just so I can avoid the bad servers and kick the tkers etc.

Upvote 0
Heinz said:
it's the hottest thing in RO right now. this guy (who made the map) should have been in on this project from the start. vision and execution. a thing of beauty.

BTW, and FYI, today there were FIVE servers running Orel and they were all FULL. speaks for itself.

It is beautiful for sure but a little rough. Many bugs.

I sincerely hope he works on the map bugs. This is the only map I am playing right now it seems.:D

Upvote 0
Oi!Oi!Oi! said:
Weren't spawns meant to be closer at some point? Both villages have a hangars where tank are spawned.

Anyway, I think the spawns have to be far away, or else it will be too easy for good shooters to just sit at spawn and blast the enemy tanks trying to take the last objective.

Also, what would be the point of destroying a tank if its replacement and crew were back in the battle only 1 or 2 minutes later?

I personally like the long anticipation before getting into the fight as you drive out of spawn.

I agree 100%.

The long distance and wide open terrain is what makes this map so enjoyable and realistic.

For those of you that don't like driveing 7 miles to battle, I suggest you play one of the many (MANY) other mini-tank maps.

Orel is what a tank map should be instead of a small infantry map with tanks.

It rocks!

Upvote 0
Jamer said:
Love this map. The only problem I have is when a bridge is blown it doesn't show (grey) destroyed on my map. It stays red for some reason and I/we end up driving a lot. Any one else have this problem?:)

No, it stays red because you did not blow all the sections.

If you look very close you will see three or four red circles. If you take out one section, one of the circles turns grey but at first glance you will not notice this on the map unless you look very closely to the map.

This can work to your advantage in that you can incapacitate the bridge but some of your enemy may be like you and did not look close enough to the map so they waste their time going to a broken bridge.

I would like to see that get fixed though as it confuses too many people.

The other thing is that you can blow a bridge with a hand grenade and you can also cross the river underwater if you know how to do it. Those also need to be fixed.

Another bug is that I broke a leg going through one of the hut doors. The doors need to be adjusted IMHO.

Lots of little nitpicks but this is still the best RO map ever.

Upvote 0
Grottenolm said:
Just as a side note: If "Stiner" is supposed to sound German, it fails :D Trust me, I am German.

I guess you meant "Steiner", which is a famous 2nd world war movie.
hahaha :D no my real name is karl richards but i read books by this man and i took the stiner and added my name karl to it look here, i never copy film names http://smithdray.tripod.com/cs/cs.htm

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Heinz said:
you got that right!

(BTW, I was on that server with you, with that "admin" named "ACE". what a tool. I left right after you did, and so did Shosstruppen. the place emptied out. Also, it was fun tanking with ya. :)

Yeah I really do not understand the motivation there.

Did this Tker start his own server for the express purpose that he could be an idiot and get away with it?

If only he would use his motivation to become a better player rather than act out some wannabe phycological hangup.:rolleyes:

Kind of reminds me of my pre-internet BBS days when most BBS admins were overweight losers living in and running their BBSs from their mother's basement. :D

I got kicked off of one of them and then met the guy in real life. He turned out to be some 400lbs loser who worked in a PC store. He did not like that I was selling stuff on his classified forum. I guess some people do stuff like that to compensate for the lack of a real life. It's kinda sad if you think about it.

Hey wait a minute, I HAD A BBS at one time LOL.:confused: :D

Upvote 0