• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Improving grenades

aag567

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2006
It would be cool if you really did throw nades from your hand instead of from the center of the screen, and being able to alternate between throwing nades on your left and right hands would be useful for clearing rooms just by leaning and then throwing.

Rameusb5 said:
I'd like to see grenades do less LETHAL damage and MORE knocking soldiers down and knocking weapons out of their hands.

Ugh, not with the current weapondrop system. *drops weapon due to grenade blast and all of my ammo magically leaps off of my person and plops onto the ground*

Edit: I think there should be a small percent chance that you spawn left-handed, it's realistic :D

<--- Left handed anyway.

Upvote 0
Actually it usually doesnt matter what hand you are for using a weapon. Most guns are made to be used by right handed people and if training starts with the gun in the right hand the left-handers wouldnt even notice.

I personally can shoot both ways, but my left eye is better so more often than not I will shot lefty if I'm having trouble hitting things.

As far as grenades go, no one in their right mind would throw a nade with their off hand, it is just TOO dangerous.

Upvote 0
Lionel-RIchie said:
Ugh, not with the current weapondrop system. *drops weapon due to grenade blast and all of my ammo magically leaps off of my person and plops onto the ground*

I agree with that. When you drop a weapon from gunfire (or grenade blast), you should NOT drop the ammo for it as well.

If you PURPOSELY throw away a weapon or die, THEN the ammo should drop too.

So fix that and THEN incorporate weapon drop into blast damage...

I simply get the feeling that in most games (including ROOST) the blast damage is too lethal, and yet all of the secondary effects (disorientation and pain) are ignored.

I'd like to see RO tackle this.

Upvote 0
Rameusb5 said:
I agree with that. When you drop a weapon from gunfire (or grenade blast), you should NOT drop the ammo for it as well.

I simply get the feeling that in most games (including ROOST) the blast damage is too lethal, and yet all of the secondary effects (disorientation and pain) are ignored.

blast damage to lethal? hell no, i want the blast radius of grenades back to their old mod state :D shrapnel from grenades could kill you 50 meters away IRL, in open ground, with the current nades it only kills you at 5 or something.
not saying that i want to be hit by a nade from across konigsplatz or something, but it could have happened

Upvote 0
SiC-Disaster said:
blast damage to lethal? hell no, i want the blast radius of grenades back to their old mod state :D shrapnel from grenades could kill you 50 meters away IRL, in open ground, with the current nades it only kills you at 5 or something.
not saying that i want to be hit by a nade from across konigsplatz or something, but it could have happened

So, in other words, you want to bastardize the game again by introducing nukes?

Upvote 0
SiC-Disaster said:

While it is possible (though incredibly unlikely) that you could catch some shrapnel from a grenade 50 meters from the blast origin, you are insinuating that it will ALWAYS happen.

I'd like to see more fidelity around grenade and other blast effects. If the shrapnel hits you (calculation performed by client on detonation), then the lethality would be high. Obviously, the closer you are to the blast point, the higher your odds of getting hit by shrapnel.

But if you are NOT hit by shrapnel, then the damage should be negligable (comparatively). However, the disorienting effects I described above should be applied.

Grenades are typically more useful at disorienting your foe than killing them outright.

Upvote 0
no no i was not saying this should always happen, right better :D
i said it COULD happen, not would.
i got used to the mod nades, and then i got ostfront and threw one, and was like, why the hell did that bastard not die? cuz IRL, it surely would have, but the guy was a bit further away then the current blast radius.
in stalingrad-kessel, as russian saper, blow up the first door at the start of the match, if anyone is in that room, they all die, obviously.
grenades should do that too, i think they kinda lost effect, compared to the mod.
i was totally fine with the way the nades were in 3.3, made you run even faster :D

Upvote 0
SiC-Disaster said:
no no i was not saying this should always happen, right better :D
i said it COULD happen, not would.
i got used to the mod nades, and then i got ostfront and threw one, and was like, why the hell did that bastard not die? cuz IRL, it surely would have, but the guy was a bit further away then the current blast radius.
in stalingrad-kessel, as russian saper, blow up the first door at the start of the match, if anyone is in that room, they all die, obviously.
grenades should do that too, i think they kinda lost effect, compared to the mod.
i was totally fine with the way the nades were in 3.3, made you run even faster :D

Grenades are fine as they are. I have no problems with them. They are great for clearing out small rooms, but they lose effectiveness in big, wide-open areas. They aren't nukes but they aren't flashbangs. Perfect.

Upvote 0
SiC-Disaster said:

Gah... anything but those uber nukes again. I'd say the reducing of grenades power is the most beneficial change that occured between the mod and the retail. It drastically improved gameplay in so many ways.

The grenades could do with a more advanced system for calculating damage certainly, but as it stands now they are pretty good. Rather a low priority imho.

Upvote 0
The problem with grenades is the shrapnel dispersion, not necessarily the blast radius. A hand grenade's fragmentation would rarely evenly spread fragmentation in its 360 degree radius. There were many stories of people surviving grenade blasts and being less than 4 feet away. Needless to say they weren’t feeling too good but they definitely weren’t dead.

Upvote 0
Rameusb5 said:

ehehe nothing like waiting for your character to regain consiousness for like 1-10min and then having to play your life out severly concussed. I personally would like a more disorientating effect for nades and bullets missing you by a hair more. makes both more usefull.

Upvote 0
The only thing I want for nades is improvment in its dectection of windows and openings in buildings. I dont think it can be done on the engine its run on though. I cant tell you how many times ive been killed trying to throw a nade through a window only to have it hit some invisible shield and bounce back... :mad:

Upvote 0