• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

WW2 rifles rock

Helstrm

Jun 22, 2006
We started with a mosin nagant and some WW2 AP ammo.
This thing kicked like a mule but was a lot of fun.
ww2.jpg

ww2-2.jpg

ww2-1.jpg

Then we moved to a Beautiful Swedish mauser. I clipped bowling pins at 100 yards with iron sights. Not as much of a kick as the Nagant but it was devastating and accurate. Shooting this rifle was better than sex....
ww2-6.jpg

ww2-5.jpg

ww2-4.jpg

Nice rifles Helstrm. I really enjoy shooting my old warhorses.

RO actually got me interested in military surplus rifles. My first purchase was a Mosin Nagant 91/30 after playing the first RO beta. Since then I purchased the following:
Mosin M38
Yugo 24/47 Mauser
M1-Carbine
Enfield No.4 MkI

I scoped the Enfield and started reloading .303 for it. It's an enjoyable hobby.

Upvote 0
deathcobra said:
the only "WW2 rifle" i've shot (and i'm still shooting it at the shooting range and sometimes at competitions) is the karabiner 31.
it was once the ordonance weapon of the swiss army, 7.62 mm.

lovely gun, I have better results with it (shooting at 300m) than with the SIG 550.

A K31 is what I want next. I think I would reload for it also.

Upvote 0
CrazyThumbs said:
Do any of you mosin users have a problem with the sights? Mine always shoots high but I cant lower the front sights anymore than they already are.

Just a point of info...

If your rifle is shooting high you need to RAISE the front sight, not lower it. The rear sight would be lowered to drop point of impact at the target.

Upvote 0
CrazyThumbs said:
Do any of you mosin users have a problem with the sights? Mine always shoots high but I cant lower the front sights anymore than they already are.

You have a 91/30? Mine were hitting about 6" high at 100 yards. And BooBoo's right, if you lower the front post, the POA is only going to wind up higher.

I found two ways to fix this problem. One was to hit Ebay and buy a replacement rear sight so I wouldn't screw my "real one up", and file it down at the range. The other, more expensive, but MUCH easier method (though you'll find changing that rear sight is a REAL pain, if you need help, shoot a PM) is to buy a Mojo sight. It's a peep (better!) and adjustable. I really love mine. 100% reversable, too, so it's not a "bubba." :D

Upvote 0
necropimp said:
the easiest way to fix the "shooting high" issue is to aim lower

you could also put a bit of shrink tubing on the front sight post (provided you don't have a blade type sight)
Yeah, I did the shooting lower thing for a while, but at a tactical shoot I found out that, at unknown distances, you're screwed. I had a lot of misses on one stage because of the POA low/POI high problem.

Shrink tubing would work ok. I like using this problem as an excuse for a Mojo, though. It's so much better a sight than "pistol sights."

Upvote 0
Early (pre-WW2) Mosins are in ashrins, later ones are in meters.

You'll find that 'out of the box' you're average 91/30 shoots high for a simple reason. Back in the day they were sighted in with the bayonet on. Try shooting with the bayonet on and you'll find that it's dead on.

My 91/30 is like this and I don't see any real reason to change it, shooting at a decent sized target if you aim with a 6 o'clock hold you'll hit it.

Upvote 0
Impact height can be affected by the use of a bullet that is a different weight than the one the rifle was sighted in for. Heavier bullets impact higher on the target. While lighter ones impact lower.

Although some of these refurbed Mosins may have never been sighted in to begin with. When I received my MO marked M44 from Aztec the bolt would not close on any type of ammunition, surplus or commercial. I swapped bolt heads with another rifle and I had no problems with either rifle after that. It does go to show that whoever rebuilt that M44 never bothered to test fire it. Much less sight it in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[CiA]Stiletto said:
Aren't the Mosins sighted in for 300yd? That would explain shooting way high at 100.
Nope, the rear sight is graduated for distance starting at 100 meters, you can adjust by 50 meter graduations. On a 91/30, they go out to 2000 meters (for volley fire.) On the M38 and M44, they go out to 1000 meters (still for volley fire.)

Arshins aren't just pre-WWII, they're pre 1930. They switched to meters on the 91/30.

I do admit, I sighted my rifle in firing 150 gr ammo, which is light. However, looking at the ammo tests on 7.62x54r.net, the heavy ball is only dropping about 2.5 inches from the muzzle at 100 yards. Light ball seems to have a tendancy to drop almost the same. The time from leaving the muzzle to hitting the target at 100 yards is so close to the same, you probably wouldn't have to re-sight the rifle when switching between the two.

I can't imagine the bayonet having a 4" or more effect on point of impact at such a close range as 100 yards.

About the only explanation that I can come up with for this is that most people tend to uder-estimate range, so the rifles were sighted to make up for it?

Or they just did a crappy, quick bore-sight.

Upvote 0