• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Tank Gunnery / Ranges question

Recce

Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2006
I like to think I've got a good first-hit ratio for gunnery over 500m, but I've still got a question about setting the range on the tank sight. When firing at a target that is not on the same level as you, when should you over estimate and when should you under estimate the range?

Taking Orel as the example, when I'm in the North Village, firing at tanks on top of the hills, I set the tank sight at around 900m. But is the target actually closer or further than 900m.

I'm guessing at the amount you need to change the range is based on the velocity of the shell. So the low velocity of the Pz IV F1 will require a larger change that the Panther.

Recce said:
I like to think I've got a good first-hit ratio for gunnery over 500m, but I've still got a question about setting the range on the tank sight. When firing at a target that is not on the same level as you, when should you over estimate and when should you under estimate the range?

Taking Orel as the example, when I'm in the North Village, firing at tanks on top of the hills, I set the tank sight at around 900m. But is the target actually closer or further than 900m.

I'm guessing at the amount you need to change the range is based on the velocity of the shell. So the low velocity of the Pz IV F1 will require a larger change that the Panther.
hehe hi Recce :p i dont fully understand how this works, all i know is i never have a problem with killing tanks on hill tops even if i can only see the turret :D but i am a master of it

Upvote 0
karl stiner said:
hehe hi Recce :p i dont fully understand how this works, all i know is i never have a problem with killing tanks on hill tops even if i can only see the turret :D but i am a master of it

Heinz said:
wish I could help you with this, but I never set the range. I use "the force" and just shoot as high as I need for the "drop" of the shot. for me, it works. it's not for everyone.

Hi guys,

I keep the sights set to 0m for ranges up to 400m (i.e. every map other than Orel). When I'm shooting 500m+, I'm generally setting the range on the sight.

I'm fine on the flats, shooting up at the hill top. I'd say that I'm usually hitting with the first or second round. Hull down or moving, it works.

But when I'm on the hill top shooting down I'm shooting short and /or long. It takes a few rounds to get the range just right. Odd, when you consider there that there is probably more of the tank to hit when shooting from above. I don't think I'm the only with this problem. Last night, a T-34 on the heights (to judge from the rate of fire) was shelling my StuG in the East Field. Took him 5 rounds to get close to me, but still hadn't hit me.

Upvote 0
We've found all tank maps are scaled to one grid square equalling roughly 200 meters. As you know where your own vehicle is by pulling up the map and seeing the red triangle at your position, if you can visually place a target anywhere near an identifiable terrain feature you have a good guess as to initial range of your target to set your gunsight reticle to for long range shots.

For close in ranges 500 meters or shorter, just lay on with a burst of coax and when you see the tracers bouncing off of the spot you want to hit him at, fire the main gun. Works like a champ.

Upvote 0
Well this question has been bugging me too for a bit. So I put a 50 meter high collumn in my tank range map, and tried some shots at 200, 400, and 700 meters.

And at least in game, it seems pretty negligable. If anything you may need to aim a meter lower when it's 50 meters higher.

This was based on distance to the object along the floor, not taking into account the difference due to the hypotoneuse (sp?) being slightly longer (by maybe 2 meters - negligable).

I don't if this translates to real life or not and hope to never need to know.

Upvote 0
The force works on all maps except Orel and that rare time when you are max range on Arad.

I highly doubt you can hit at 1000m+ first try on Orel with that method. Someone that can estimate ranges and dial in fast wins every time.

Most german tanks in WW2 had a zoom optic which made them espcially deadly in the steppes of russia. This allowed german gunners ability to engage at much longer ranges than the ruskies. An old game called Panzer Elite had some good stuff on german optics and how they estimated ranges quickly, very deadly and can see how such tanks as tigers and panthers earned thier reputations.

Try a Tiger on Orel, setup at location with los of 1000m+ and dial in the sight, only difficult target is the clown car. Speaking of which, lets hope thats fixed soon, as someone stated earlier, the speed of the car offroad would be much slower. Have fun while it lasts....

Upvote 0
Cptn_Miller said:
The force works on all maps except Orel and that rare time when you are max range on Arad.

I highly doubt you can hit at 1000m+ first try on Orel with that method. Someone that can estimate ranges and dial in fast wins every time.

Most german tanks in WW2 had a zoom optic which made them espcially deadly in the steppes of russia. This allowed german gunners ability to engage at much longer ranges than the ruskies. An old game called Panzer Elite had some good stuff on german optics and how they estimated ranges quickly, very deadly and can see how such tanks as tigers and panthers earned thier reputations.

Try a Tiger on Orel, setup at location with los of 1000m+ and dial in the sight, only difficult target is the clown car. Speaking of which, lets hope thats fixed soon, as someone stated earlier, the speed of the car offroad would be much slower. Have fun while it lasts....
Someone that can estimate ranges and dial in fast wins every time. thats me:p

Upvote 0
Well I would think it would be a longer distance, think of it as a right triangle. When your on a cliff, the distance up to your point is A, the distance from the base of the cliff to the enemy is B, and you are shooting on the line that is C. C should be greater than B. Likewise you would need to do this on a high target. This happened to me on Orel, there was a panzer4 on this bluff across from southlake. The horizantal distance was about 1000meters, however becaue of the elevation I racheted it up to 1100meters and the actual killshot was about 1150meters.

I always use the sights, getting a tank when they are hulldown is difficult if you do not have your range calibrated.

Upvote 0
Recce said:

The way the sighting system works is your barrel will already be angled correctly for that range of shot no matter the elevation. The trick is to guestimate range, then guestimate where the tank touches the ground and put the crosshair there. For extreme ranges you will have to adjust from there because the enemy tank will be usually be inbetween 1000-1200 yards. Adjustment is minute you just have to practice to get the feel.

I hit 98% of the time at any range.

Upvote 0
The_Cook said:
The way the sighting system works is your barrel will already be angled correctly for that range of shot no matter the elevation. The trick is to guestimate range, then guestimate where the tank touches the ground and put the crosshair there. For extreme ranges you will have to adjust from there because the enemy tank will be usually be inbetween 1000-1200 yards. Adjustment is minute you just have to practice to get the feel.

I hit 98% of the time at any range.

The thing is you shouldn't be able to know that you hit at 1000-1200 yards. I'm guessing you are basing this claim on the ability to "hear" the metalic clank when you hit. Versus no sound if you over shoot or bury the round in the ground. Lets see, if it takes the round several seconds to travel to hit the target. It should take the return sound a good 5 seconds to return for you to "hear" it. I seriously doubt that in RL you would hear that over the sounds of battle.

Upvote 0