• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

B&W to Color Photo (feedback please)

Sabot

Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2006
Hey all,

I was bored over the weekend so i decided to mess about on photoshop and turn a ww2 b&w photo in to a color. Feed back please.
Its my first ever attempt and i wasnt sure of colors.

Before:
ww2-159.jpg

After:
1zfldls.jpg

Remember its my first try, and try to look at the whole thing rather than small details. Also i know some colours look funny, its a W.I.P!

The whole image looks too bright, and in some spots too flat (or mono-tone if you prefer). The boots for example. They look too consistently one shade of brown. Just minor tweaking will bring it there though, with the biggest tweak being bring the brightness down across the board.

On second thought, maybe it's not the brightness (it's a full-sun picture it looks like), but the colors that were chosen. I'd check with some resources on the shade of green, khaki (sp?), and brown. And I'm sure there are more than enough 'sources' that will be posting here soon enough if they see this ;)

Very nice work though, more patience (and not to mention ability with photoshop :p) than I've got, to be sure. Props!

Upvote 0
Tak said:
The whole image looks too bright, and in some spots too flat (or mono-tone if you prefer). The boots for example. They look too consistently one shade of brown. Just minor tweaking will bring it there though, with the biggest tweak being bring the brightness down across the board.

On second thought, maybe it's not the brightness (it's a full-sun picture it looks like), but the colors that were chosen. I'd check with some resources on the shade of green, khaki (sp?), and brown. And I'm sure there are more than enough 'sources' that will be posting here soon enough if they see this ;)

Very nice work though, more patience (and not to mention ability with photoshop :p) than I've got, to be sure. Props!

If you check the original picture then you see it's very bright aswelll:D

Upvote 0