• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Smokegrenades

[5.SS]Strother said:
sigh....looks like my blanket fell off. Guess I'm going to have to re-educate everyone. Smoke grenades wern't used in large enough quantities on the ostfront to be put into the game. There is no questioning that. Discussion over.
Neither were some of the weapons in the game, but they are still there. Just because they were not common but still used, doesn't mean they should be left out.

I think this is a good idea and they aught to be added. It is up to a mapper to determine how many each class gets though. But we know more content will be added via patches, like teller mines and magnetic mines, so maybe we will get smoke nades.

Upvote 0
{Cap-Down} said:
i was giving an example of Rare weapons that are very abundant in game to support the introduction of smoke grenades in game.
Mp41 was still rara compared to other weapons at the time. It saw little combat, it might of been issued to police untits, but how many maps are based on police action? NONE?!

They were rare, yet they are in game. So should smoke grenades, a great tool. They were used very often, more so on the western front 1944. But on the east too, they were also used to blind enemy tanks so at-infantry was able to get close to place mines and explosives on the tanks.

They should still be included.

Upvote 0
if we are going into real life

Smoke Grenades are useless even if there is a slight wind because all that nicly made smoke has now been blown away

they are only usefull if there is practically no wind what so ever
and knowing the detail of RO they will have to add wind in to move to the
and I dont think most people's computers would handle this without exptreme lag

Anyway its better without smoke it means you need to think a way through a place instead of just goin "hmm mg eh???.... i think SMOKE GRENADE!"

COD and DOD have em but i wouldnt say those games are that good..... so we shouldnt copy em

without em you have to go " ok you cover me untill i get to there then i will cover you untill you get to that sand bag" and so on

Upvote 0
Ok now that we covered the historical aspects, lets go over gameplay.

First off, there will always people who smoke their own teammates for giggles even if you did limit the smoke grenades. 2nd, smoke tells the enemy where you are at, if You've ever played WW2ol you will know that smoke IS NOT YOUR FRIEND. I've only seen smoke work twice in ww2ol and it was ograsmic. But that was twice in 5 months of playing. 3rd. Smoke attracts grenades especially in city maps. For example on Odessa, if the russians tossed a smoke near the tower, what do you think the germans will do? They will throw more grenades then you've ever seen in your life, if you don't believe thats true you have no clue what you are talking about.

Basically the benefit of smoke is small, and it would only lead to gameyness, complaints, tks, mayhem, and a basic degeneration of realism.

Upvote 0