• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map TulaOutskirts_b4 public release.

spraduke

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
wiltshire
www.spraduke.co.uk
Ok so its time for the first wide scale public release. Ive been playtesting b3 and b4 on the fullmj server with a relative level of success.

Download the uncompressed and compressed versions here.
http://www.spraduke.co.uk/files/RO-TulaOutskirts_b4.rar

Changelog from b3->b4

Replaced all the original trees with a lower poly equivalent to increase fps
Added Bot pathing
Added additional random arty for when the first 4 objectives are capped
fixed objective manager
reduced bloom amount

Changelog from b2->b3
Added ambient noise
Added fence line to provide extra axis cover
reduced level brightness and changed sky box

Below are some screens
Tulaout1.jpg

Tulaout2.jpg

Tulaout3.jpg

Tulaout4.jpg

Tulaout5.jpg

Tulaout6.jpg

ANY feedback is appreciated aslong as its constructive and youve played the map for more than 30seconds ;)

Fun map, always loved long range rifle maps, the axis really need that sniper to clear the bunkers to get across the ravine, and this one has close up fighting further down the line as well.
Could use a little optimisation in the bunkers (fps take a dive there) looking foward to a final release, this one will be a winner.

Upvote 0
This map is very very impressive, its a pity the only way to see it was with bots, as no servers ran it. But playing it I with bots I think you have to adjust the spawns as when the germans capture the front line you spawn ill the way back to the commanderbunker trying to get to the bunkers on the the hill which ruins the best part of the map. As defending the bunkers are great at the start and attacking up the hill.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I understand your point gunho but on a fullish server it provides a good balance. It means that if the german snipers clear the bunkers they have more than 5 seconds to cap ;). Normaly a good 10mins of the map is fighting for the bunkers which is how it should be imho.

As for fps im struggling to improve it anymore atm. Without adding distance fog (which would ruin the atmosphere) im short on ideas. Prehaps some other mappers can have a look and suggest tweaks

Upvote 0
The only place I saw a signifigant fps hit was right at the first axis spawn and again while looking/shooting out of the bunkers, other than those two areas, fps was fine.
Two lil niggles, not showstoppers for sure......bunker 1, can get stuck on the corner near the "road" if trying to get on roof, and at one point near the valley, the "road" tracks overlap in an odd way.
Keep up the good work, awesome lil map :)

Upvote 0
Finally got around to playing the map and I must say good job! As stated earlier, it runs pretty harsh though I was able to manage.

I had an absolute ball playing Axis sniper. I think that was the most fun I've had yet playing sniper in this game. It's pretty damn tough for the Axis, we got to the last objective both times minutes before the round ended. We lost both times.

I'm not sure if the time needs increased or if we took too long capping. I'm sure we'll find out in the coming days as you get more feedback.

Upvote 0
Extremely tough map for Axis, you need a God-like sniper.

Good call on the lack of grenades, but the river being deep and unfrozen really hurts. The entire left flank is basiclly closed off.

Also, up on the right flank of the map, the hills near the rightmost bunker- you need to check your minefield radius. I was trying to get into position to rake the bunkers from behind, and got blown to bits. Meanwhile, an Allied soldier was on the next hill over, further back, and was fine.

EDIT:

as far as increasing peformance and making it a bit fairer: I'd cut the first objective entirely. It doesn't make much sense that the Allies would come out of such a good defensive position, and removing that much map might help things run smoother.

Double EDIT: I also got stuck at bunker 1, though I was able to work my way free. Just to the left of the entrence as you face the bunker. That bunker needs a little work in general- its a bit hard to see out of compared to the others.

Upvote 0