• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Still tip-of-head point of view. Why?

kabex said:
That doesn't make any sense. ArmA will run just fine in modern systems, and people have playtested it already(there are some press demos out).
ArmA has a newer engine.

Try to create a single level that looks like UT2004 but runs on the Unrealengine 1. Its not possible, although UT2004 runs fine on modern systems...

kabex said:
By the way, if you had downloaded any OFP mods, some of the guns are BEAUTIFUL, seriously. They might not have very good animations but the game is 5 years old!
Of course they can be bautiful, but beauty comes with a price. Flashpoint has huge levels, but it doesn

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Murphy said:
Besides the undoubtedly immersion factor, bodyawareness has no real impact on gameplay and IMO detailed guns as we have them in RO are just as fine for immersion.

Whoever advocates undoable changes should wait for 20 years and then come back with a new pc IMO.

A last note:
I only said that bodyawareness is harder to implement than most people here think, and that we would have to sacrifice eyecandy in order to get it although our problem with the wrong viewpoint has nothing to do with bodyawareness because it can be fixed with the normal firstperson view too.
I think it has a big impact on gaming. At least for me, but as you said, you can't argue about taste. I really hate it if I get shot by a helmet or some hair in other games (Rainbow Six or VC for example) or if my weapon shoots nowhere near where I aim at (new GR). I never get those problems in OFP because the camera is where the eyes are and bullets originate from the barrel. If I want to see over that ridge I have to get my head over it, if i want to shoot over it i need to get the gun above it, too.
But this here is about RO, problem is I can't say very much about it. I'm german and the box release was just 2 days ago. So just matches against bots an a small LAN party to speak of, no online experience yet...
I have to say its definately the best realisation in a game without true first person, but there are still flaws I noticed. As Rameusb5 showed nicely they are best seen when leaning or it's some clipping issue where the gun is inside the obstacle.

Like Xendance said you can easily implent a true first person view without a decrease in graphics quality, it works nearly the same way as with the first and third person models now. In OFP every model has different LODs (Level of Detail), it's like many models in differing quality in one. When your near to an object it shows a higher LOD and from 1km away your pc doesn't have to render that 3k polygon tank. There are special "pilot view" lods, which you only see in first person.
I don't know much about the technology behind it or the UT engine in general, if/how it handles LODs or if there are other problems that might occur, but I think if it is manageable it should be at least in the next game ;)

But as RO is for now really good even without this, some minor changes would be more than enough to make me happy. Fixing the viewpoint when leaning should be easy and to avoid clipping of the weapon maybe a similar system as in the Vietcong games (lifting the weapon) might be possible.

P.S.: A small advice to you, Murphy: When you play OFP with Resistance Addon, go and download the WGL5 mod that was just recently released. I think you'll really like it :)

Upvote 0
Varsity said:
Sorry for the bump, but I just had to post this:

roviewbug4ip.jpg

No pixels at all, and the soldier has plenty of room under his sights. In this case you would see his gun sticking through the bath tub, but with something a bit thicker giving protection there would be no indication whatsoever!

OK, I finally got around to testing this. This is in the Bathtub that's on the second floor of the Koitos 1944 map. It looks like you're prone IN the tub, and yet somehow you can see OVER the tub. I tried to get into this position, I cannot. When I go prone in the tub, all I can see is the side of the tub. When I lay on the rim of the tub, I can't see ANY of the tub (unlike your first picture).

The only thing I can think here is that they've altered the map since you took this screenshot, or this is a grapics card issue.

Upvote 0
Dheepan said:
This is a real prob with the game dude. You can notice this when people lean out of corners as well. Or in Stalingrad Kessel in the Admin windows, people will be crouched but all that will appear from your perspective is a helmet.

Ever played RO-Berlin from the mod? There were places in that map you'd be totally invisible and be able to shoot. Like I said, geometry issues. Just be sure they're actually firing and not ducked behind a wall before reporting the spot.

Leaning does appear a bit buggy, though- I went to stab someone once, and couldn't, because they were leaning. Wouldn't hit their torso, wouldn't hit center mass- I had to aim for the legs. SHOOTING him worked fine, though.

Upvote 0
I didn't take the time to read thoroughly all the previous posts but the tip-of-helmet view problem is INEXISTENT, at least from a player's POV perpsective, so excuse me if I repeat what somebody already wrote.

Ramm-Jaeger stated in a previous post that he coded the player's POV where the player's eyes actually are!

What happens, when leaning, is that the leaning player is looking through the wall/sandbag/tree/whatever texture or static mesh (I don't know enough about textures to explain it properly but that's what happens) it's not his POV being from the tip of his helmet.

Basically it has to do with some textures not being solid. Maybe a mapper or Dev could explain this better. :)

Upvote 0
Varsity said:
Sorry for the bump, but I just had to post this:

roviewbug4ip.jpg

No pixels at all, and the soldier has plenty of room under his sights. In this case you would see his gun sticking through the bath tub, but with something a bit thicker giving protection there would be no indication whatsoever!
Let me guess, you tried it in practice mode? No wonder you managed to heighten your view. In practice mode, if you press F4 twice to go to third person view and back, your first person view magically becomes a bit higher. It's been like that even in the mod. It's not like this online.

Upvote 0
kabex said:
That would require a lot of coding but yeah it's a lot easier to fix the system currently in. :D

you got no idea about how 3D viewpoints work. It would require no additional codeing, it would required chaning the 3D models. But that is not that much work.

True first person doesn't require any special coding whatso ever. Doing it the way it is now ( and has been done since the Quake 1 engine ) requires special coding. Doing True First person means you need high detail models with more LOD levels. Which is way more time consuming than coding is.

The only people that thinking coding is time consuming are the ones that don't code. The ART WORK takes 10 to 100 X more man hours to create and get right than writing code ever does.

Upvote 0