• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Track damage

Plaid13

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2006
Ok on every single tank map you always see people turning the tanks at a angle so the shots bounce off but having your track blown off is so rare noone ever worries about it. Seems like to get a track blown off you need to hit in real spacific spots instead of anywhere along the track. I would like to see any hit to the track or the first and last wheels of the tank disable a track. Well any hit with the right angle to do damage from a strong enough weapon at least. dont expect a single T-60 shot to knock a track off. Round after round shouldnt bounce off the tracks on the side of a tank without doing any damage.
Same thing with the BA-64 and the half track. would like to see them get flat tires when the tires are hit by small arms fire/mgs.
As it is now the vehicle combat is lacking some realism that most RO fans really want.

Lots of other stuff like getting stuck in the mud and sliding on ice would be nice to add in too but i kinda doubt that kinda stuff could be added in easy.

Ive always thought that about the tank tracks as well, why does only the bottom area make the tracks break? I think if you shoot out the drive wheels, or enough road wheels it should also take out the tracks. And also on tanks like the tiger who have very exposed frontal track areas, a shot or two to the front of that should also break the track.

Upvote 0
i've never been able to disable tracks except by accident. however, thanks to the datafiles everyone and their grandma knows where to aim for 1-hit kills to the ammo storage.

does anyone actually know where to shoot to deliberately disable tracks? seems like whenever i try to shoot at the tracks from the front (like the tiger's exposed ones) they just bounce off. you'd think they'd break some of the links...

Upvote 0
cant be do to engine limits since tracks can be knocked off. it just has to be a a design choice or mistake somewhere. Im sure back in WW2 they really didnt think hey lets angle the tank to them so rounds bounce off. they knew the best armor was on the front of the tank and that the tracks were weak.
even the boxy tiger with its real bad angles would prefer that the front armor is all they hit. the t34/76 the gun on it couldnt do a damn thing to the front armor of a tiger. but hit it from the side and take out a track and it was done for.

I would really like to see aiming for a tanks track and getting that tank stuck in one spot to be a stratagy thats useable. Maybe wait till a tank is in some ditch or something where they cant really hurt anyone then take out the track with a panzerfaust or whatever and leave them pinned in the tank. they can sit there and rot or get out with pistols in the middle of nowhere. instead of blowing up the whole tank and having them respawn again in 15 sec to deal with them again.

Upvote 0
Plaid13 said:
yeah it does happen but not nearly often enough. and the tires in the front of the half track and the armored car never go flat. I want track damage to happen alot! thats one of the weakest points on the tank and it should act like it.

I agree that tracks should be a lot weaker but I believe the tires on the BA64 (not sure about the halftrack) were solid rubber so you couldn't simply shoot them with bullets to give it a flat tire.

Upvote 0
I think tank dynamics in the game overall could use a little more work. On the topic of disabling tracks, I've had the track on my tank knocked off only once. And have not been successful at knocking out the track on any enemy tank so far. I figure a direct shot from a AP round or indirect hit from an HE round should have some effect on it, at least in breaking the links that hold it together, maybe slow it down or make it totally fly off.

And in general some other things I'd like to see is maybe Non-Diesel engines shutting down or disabling due to over-heating from the excessive stress players put on them from throttling them wide open over rough terrain, and climbing steep hills.

Upvote 0
CaveSquid said:
And in general some other things I'd like to see is maybe Non-Diesel engines shutting down or disabling due to over-heating from the excessive stress players put on them from throttling them wide open over rough terrain, and climbing steep hills.

TBF they should stop tanks with their engine clearly on fire from being able to move before they get to modelling the dynamics of a non-diesel engine over rough terrain, taking ambient air temperature into account and so forth.

Upvote 0
im sure the BA-64s tires were not solid rubber but they may have been cork filled. but even if thats true 4 or 5mg rounds through the tire will knock it off the rim if not break the wheel up enough to come off the axel. But if you look at pictures of the BA-64 alot of the time they have spare tires stuck on the back. so they must of got flats.

Upvote 0
I often switch to HE rounds and blow out the other tank's tracks on Orel if I'm nearing death. A useful tactic in Orel, as it takes a very long time for the person in that tank to walk back to spawn. In fact, I sometimes find myself on Orel using only HE rounds, as you can completely hinder the other team's advance if you take out all their tanks' treads, causing all of them to abandon tank. Of course, you have the occaisonal nutjob who wants to go down with his tank and just sits there like a duck. All the more better for your own team, as they both stall up the other team quite a bit.

Upvote 0
Wouldn't it also be more likely that satchel charges would disable a medium or heavy tank rather than destroying it? I'm no explosives expert, but 10lbs of WW2 era tnt might not produce enough blast to penetrate tank armor except at the weakest point. I'm not complaining though, this is by far the best FPS going:)

Upvote 0
im pretty sure for that explosive to kill everyone in the tank it would need to be stuck right on top where the armor is thin next to the tank it would mess up the tracks and stuff but i dont think it would kill everyone in the tank. if it was under the tank it would do alot more damage. Kinda like a firecracker in your hand. hand is open its gonna burn and sting alot close your hand and you will lose a few fingers. all that force from the blast is going to take the path of the least resistance. and if its sitting next to a big armored box it will just force it all the other direction away from the tank. But thats just what i think would happen. i think a satchel charge would be a effective anti tank weapon if it was placed right but not just tossed down next to it.

Upvote 0
Plaid13 said:
im sure the BA-64s tires were not solid rubber but they may have been cork filled. but even if thats true 4 or 5mg rounds through the tire will knock it off the rim if not break the wheel up enough to come off the axel. But if you look at pictures of the BA-64 alot of the time they have spare tires stuck on the back. so they must of got flats.

Although, who would wanna change tires in a battlefield? :p

Upvote 0