• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Where are they and why can't I see them?

Well your not the oldest guy on the battlefield, I found the best way that usaully works for me is to flank, use the terrain and cover to move close to the enemy and don't be affraid to get your belly dirty, crawl in somewhat open areas so you are less noticable.

A lot of guys sit and wait for movement so try to keep cover between you and your enemy. And when you said you let your commrades go first someone saw them and was aiming in that direction when you popped up right in their sights.

When the maps allow you more space grab a rifle and sit back and shoot from a distance. Try to get in on at least one cap and you will be in the middle of the scoring on most maps. But it is just as satisfing knowing that you didn't die a lot and you were able to open up areas for your team mates to cap and win the game.

In RO it is not being on top of the score board that is always the biggest thrill, the thrill can also be having players complament you on saving them or taking out an enemy that is causing your team to have trouble advancing.

So use your age and take it slow and think, when you do this the game will be more enjoyable for you.

Upvote 0
In Infiltration (UT99 mod) we have a gamemode that has Random Team Spawning. This basically makes teams always spawn in different parts of the map and so every round you don't know where the enemy is coming from and you have to find a new route to attack. Communication is a must and we always team up and radio all contacts etc.

Most of this would be possible in RO but it won't work well with the current gamemodes.

Edit: Oh and more on topic; I feel the same as the original poster many times ;)

Upvote 0
As was stated sound. A good 5.1 speaker setup is a must. I have the sound loud and listen for directional queues. Also learn the sound of the enemy guns. Yes sometimes a teamate will pick up an enemy gun, well he just has to accept a tk now and then. Also there does appear to be the ability for rifleman to sometimes find a spot where they can see you and all you can see of them is a pixel or two. Its just something we have to live with.

Upvote 0
Grobut said:
The best thing you can do is play in as high a resolution as possible, you'll see more that way, and besides, if you have an even remotely modern vid-card, it should be able to run in a good resolution at good FPS.

"Pros" tend to play at low resolution, for several reasons. 1) There are fewer pixels for your crosshair to fall on, which makes for more precise aiming. 2) Enemies appear larger. You don't see as much but it's easier to hit a person at 640x480 than it is at 1600x1200. Models are the same size regardless of resolution, therefore they will take up more of the screen. Bigger target makes for an easier target.

I personally play to have fun and I like my game to look good, so I throw this advice out the window. However, someone who may be having trouble spotting people might find a lower resolution to be more beneficial. Then again they may not :).

Upvote 0
ADVERSiTY said:
"Pros" tend to play at low resolution, for several reasons. 1) There are fewer pixels for your crosshair to fall on, which makes for more precise aiming. 2) Enemies appear larger. You don't see as much but it's easier to hit a person at 640x480 than it is at 1600x1200. Models are the same size regardless of resolution, therefore they will take up more of the screen. Bigger target makes for an easier target.

I personally play to have fun and I like my game to look good, so I throw this advice out the window. However, someone who may be having trouble spotting people might find a lower resolution to be more beneficial. Then again they may not :).

Hmm you're a litle bit wrong.
The pro's play in lower resolutions on CS or UT but not on RO. Lower resolution give you a bad "sight".
The models are same height but not measured on pixels. They have the same size related to the FOV wich is constant in multiplayer in RO.

So, as consclusion as higher your resolution is as better you can distinguish the soldiers at distance. I'm playing 1280x102x32(LCD) 2xAA 2xAF, maxed out.

Upvote 0
[CoFR]BeerHunter said:
Anyone else?

Or is there a "trick"/"secrete" I should be aware of!! :confused:

Hehe...I feel your pain.

There are a couple of things that may help you.

1.) Learn the maps. After a couple of rounds you'll get a feeling where an enemy is likely to hide, where to advance in good cover, etc.

2.) There are only TWO different modes of movement for you: run like hell, zig-zagging from cover to cover for SHORT distances and lying prone, hugging the earth, preferably in good cover.

3.) Observe. Take your time. The enemy you don't see will kill you.

4.) Team up with your comrades. One dashes forward, the other(s) provide fire support. With RO's modelling of suppressive fire this works very well.

Upvote 0
hm, the first of all I learned is, think about how the human eye notice something.

- motion
if you move fast, you will be dedectet very fast. move slowly if you have to hide.

- contrast
important thing. remember the color of your uniform. look for backgrunds with a similar color.
don't be higher than the horizon. a grey uniform with a bright sky behind it shouts "shoot at me".
dont move over hills, move around it, always try to have a similar pattern behind you.

if you are a MG gunner: tracer ammo works in both directions.
and remember, your muzzle flash will often betrays your position. so don't shoot when you are not sure you can hit.

Upvote 0
Here's a little trick i picked up flying combat flightsims, where enemy planes below you can be hard to spot against a forrest or field:

Dont look for planes, look for flying tree's!

It works just the same in RO, stop looking for soldiers, look for movement, just phase out, let your perephial vision be the dominant one, this way your eyes are much more likely to notice movement than when you are focusing.

Just think of the screen as a painting.. if you start seeing movement on a painting you'd be very supriced and very likely to notice it, aye?

And here's a combat tip: the human eye will notice something moving sideways much faster than it will notice something coming straight twords it, for this reason, real soldiers are told to never move sideways in the enemy's point of view.
So if you have some idea where the enemy is, you should also know what he would see as sideways movement, and avoid it! do it behind cover, but never in plain sight, you are easilly spotted like that.

Another good advice: Good cover is cover with an obstruction behind it! if you stick your head out and the enemy can clearly see it against a blue sky behind you, you will be spotted! he'll be less likely to notice your head if theres an object behind it, like a wall or a hill, anything really, just make sure he wont see a head against a clear sky.

Upvote 0
Grobut said:
And here's a combat tip: the human eye will notice something moving sideways much faster than it will notice something coming straight twords it, for this reason, real soldiers are told to never move sideways in the enemy's point of view.
So if you have some idea where the enemy is, you should also know what he would see as sideways movement, and avoid it! do it behind cover, but never in plain sight, you are easilly spotted like that.

Another good advice: Good cover is cover with an obstruction behind it! if you stick your head out and the enemy can clearly see it against a blue sky behind you, you will be spotted! he'll be less likely to notice your head if theres an object behind it, like a wall or a hill, anything really, just make sure he wont see a head against a clear sky.

Are you trying to make BeerHunter's life a little more hell?
He cant see them as it is. :D

Upvote 0
ADVERSiTY said:
"Pros" tend to play at low resolution, for several reasons. 1) There are fewer pixels for your crosshair to fall on, which makes for more precise aiming. 2) Enemies appear larger. You don't see as much but it's easier to hit a person at 640x480 than it is at 1600x1200. Models are the same size regardless of resolution, therefore they will take up more of the screen. Bigger target makes for an easier target..

This isn't correct. The on-screen size of the target will be the same regardless, just more detailed..easier to tell if its on your team or not. You can "see more" at higher resolutions not because the screen is bigger, but because you have more detail- something in the distance that might be a 1 pixel dot at 640x480 will be a visible blob at 1600.

'pros' play at lower resolution and visual detail settings because they worship high FPS.

Upvote 0
Phoenix-D said:
This isn't correct. The on-screen size of the target will be the same regardless, just more detailed..easier to tell if its on your team or not. You can "see more" at higher resolutions not because the screen is bigger, but because you have more detail- something in the distance that might be a 1 pixel dot at 640x480 will be a visible blob at 1600.

'pros' play at lower resolution and visual detail settings because they worship high FPS.
Yea I tested it, and model size is the same. So my previous statement should be disregarded OP :).

Although I should add the lower detail setting the so called "pros" use aren't merely for FPS. In twitch games like Quake 3 and the like it's easier to distinguish a target when all the textures look like mud. I guess they need every edge they can get. That and the mouse precision still stands. Fewer pixels = fewer instances for the crosshair/iron sight to land on. None of which is going to help in this situation though, unfortunately.

Upvote 0
gonzman said:
stay still and look for moving pixels.

++

After you die don't run to the exact spot you were killed and look for the enemy, stop a bit before and try spot him from there. It took me a while but I'm learning not to run straight into a firefight, just hang back a bit. You do learn where all the camping/sniping spots are.

Don't sprint to get from spawn to a combat area. You'll be out of breath and not able sprint when you really need to. across

Finally: follow someone else from 10 paces behind and let them draw the fire. :D Look for muzzle flash!

Upvote 0
My advice is to keep playing. Your eyes will eventually get used to spotting enemies in this game, like they did in DoD.

I've found that this is the case in all FPS games. It is always hard to start a new one, but soon you'll be spotting enemies without even thinking about it. People adapt surprisingly quickly.

Of course knowing the hot spots helps, but don't count on them too much. The clever player is just a short distance away from the hot spot ready to "pop your ass" when you're looking for enemies from the hot spot.

Upvote 0
I've modded my version of RO to play at 160x120; I just need to spray my PPSh and I hit everything...

jokes aside, Beerhunter, I see you are a fellow Albertan! You are playing the right game. An older player can be patient and tactical in this game.

1. Keep low when you have cover; crawl to your position, and don't pop over ridges. Shoot from behind concealment at targets that are diagonal to your position...

2. In urban battles, same applies. Attack asymmetrically...

3. Fire and maneuveur... repeat.

It's how you attack that is getting you killed. You are simply exposing yourself when it is the enemy who is the one that shouldn't see you!

I'm 29, and enjoy this game quite a bit, but it remains uninstalled except for on the weekends so I can focused on business, health and of course all the pretty ladies in this province!

Really no need for any other game, this is as good as playing paintball or airsoft without the mess or long drive.

BTW - did you get your alias from the Beerhunter bar on the Westend? Great place for blues/rock...

Upvote 0