• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design RO-LeningradStreets *WIP*

Status
Not open for further replies.

[TW]DrGuppy

Tripwire Interactive Staff
Nov 22, 2005
Atlanta, Georgia
Finally, I get around to posting about this map!

Ok so this is a map I originally started for the mod and even ported it over to Ostfront when the SDK came out but I had learnt so much (about Leningrad and mapping) during the mod-to-retail break that I decided to start over completely. The only thing I have ported is the name. :D You can check out this old thread to see a few screenshots from the mod version before I ported it.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211

I will try to keep this thread updated with my work on RO-LeningradStreets. Comments are more than welcome but please note that this is a work in progress.

RO-LeningradStreets - Jan 1942

"Troy fell, Rome fell, Leningrad did not fall."

Description:
This is an Urban Combined Arms map that takes place down the Nevsky Prospect in the heart of Leningrad, set during Jan 1942 at night. The Nevsky Prospect is 6 lanes wide and is said to be the most famous road in Russia. I chose to do a map based in Leningrad even though the Germans never got past the outskirts because Leningrad is often overlooked since no fighting took place within the city. This is a fictional battle of what could have happened if Hitler gave the order to enter the city or if the Russian counterattacks had failed to keep the Germans at bay.

For this map I have read 3 books (The 900 Days of Terror - David M. Glantz, The 900 Days - Harrison E. Salisbury, and The Battle for Leningrad - David M. Glantz) and have made about 20 textures and 50 static meshes. Some textures and static meshes were originally TW-made and I have just added snow to them or altered them in some form while most are completely my work.

The map layout is based off of Google Earth images (which happens to have a high res/low res border line right through my map area :rolleyes:) and each building exterior along the Nevsky is based off of modern-day photos which, for the most part, have not changed for since before WWII. For the side streets I have taken buildings that are actually in different locations along the Nevsky Prospect because I couldn't find photos of them online.

Objectives:
There are a total of 4 objectives that play out in a linear line and can only be captured one at a time, similar to KonigsPlatz or Baskova. Each objective is unable to be recaptured once taken. The entire map takes place along the Nevsky Prospect and 3 out of the 4 objectives can only be captured by infantry.

The first objective is the Anti-Tank Position which is a 5 story enterable hotel overlooking the intersection of the Nevsky Prospect, Vladimirsky Prospect, and Liteyny Prospect. Across the intersection the Russians have placed barbed wire and various anti-tank obstacles. The Germans tanks will need to provide cover for the infantry as they cross the street and clear out and capture the building.

Once the first objective is captured the Russians must fall back and defend the Searchlight which is located on the roof of a 5 story restaurant. This is a destroyable objective.

The thind objective is an underground Command Bunker located under a destroyed building. Players can enter the bunker via the sewer system (which runs throughout the map) or from the top through the rubble.

The final objective is the Anichkov Bridge which is the only objective that can be captured with the help of the tanks. Infantry can go onto the Fontanka River ice below and capture from there while the tanks battle above.

To cut down on the linear feel of the map most buildings will have at least one enterable floor and the objective layout will force players to cross the street often to get to the different objectives. Although the tanks cannot defend/capture 3 of the 4 objectives they are vital in holding the street and keeping it clear of enemy infantry while their own infantry move up and defend/capture. Infantry will only succeed if they support the tanks by destroying roadblocks and clearing out buildings. Each side also has limited tanks (4 KV1s total for the Russians and 8 PzIIIs/8 PzIV2s total for the Germans). If the tanks and infantry do not work together the team and ability to win will suffer. After each objective is captured the Russian spawn moves back and the German spawn moves forward.

Here's an overhead shot from Google Earth showing the objective layout:

Loadouts:

The loadouts are biased against the Russians to balance out the fact that they are on the defence with a system of barricades in place. Both sides have limited tanks and the Russians have far fewer grenades. For the Russians they get 1 KV1 at the start and one more that spawns each time after an objective falls. The Germans start with 1 PzIII and 1 PzIV2 that will only respawn once each. After the Germans take each objective the tanks respawn closer to the next objective and once again only have one respawn each. In total the tanks are 4-1 for the Germans (4 KV1, 8 PzIII, 8 PzIV2) but the ratio is only a maximum of 2-1 at any time. I am in the process of creating a custom unpainted snow skin for the KV1 because of the Kirov-Zavod factory located within the city. KV tanks were produced within the city throughout the seige and were often sent right to the front without even being painted. Many tanks were also sent throughout Russia during the seige, mostly in the direction of Moscow.

Russian:

- 1 KV1 (a new one spawns each time an objective is lost)
- 1 Commander (Ppsh41 - PPD40)
- 1 PT soldat
- 1 Tank Commander (TT33)
- 2 Tankers (TT33)
- 1 MG
- 1 Autorifle
- 1 Sapper (MN91/30)
- 3 Riflemen (MN38 Carbine)
- 7 Riflemen (MN91/30)

German:

- 1 PzIII (a new one spawns each time an objective is captured as well as a new one spawning once if destroyed)
- 1 PzIV2 (same as above)
- 1 Commander (MP40 + Pistol)
- 1 Tank Commander (MP40 + Pistol)
- 5 Tankers (Pistol)
- 1 MGers (MG34)
- 2 Sappers (MP40)
- 2 Assault (MP40)
- 10 Riflemen
- 1 Sniper (K98 Scoped)

History:
Three months after being invaded by Germany the city of Leningrad (formerly Petrograd, presently St. Petersburg) was completely surrounded on September 8, 1941. The Siege (Blockada) lasted until January 7, 1944, a total of 900 days. To Hitler, Leningrad had long been a target as it was the birthplace of Bolshevism and ordered it razed to the ground. The people of Leningrad endured 900 days of hard labour, starvation, constant shelling, and aerial bombings. Estimates range from 1-2 million people in Leningrad were killed from shelling, exposure, starvation, and aerial bombings. During the siege precious supplies were transported across Lake Ladoga (nicknamed 'The Road of Life') whenever possible and later on KV-1 tanks were even transported out of Leningrad as the factory never stopped producing tanks throughout the siege. My map is based on Operation Feuerzauber (Fire Magic, later re-planned and re-named Operation Nordlicht or Nothern Lights) which was the planned invasion of Leningrad city in 1942. Although this plan was never carried out due to Soviet counterattacks and Germans never actually got past the suburbs of Leningrad I decided to base this map on what might have happened because Leningrad is often overlooked.

Screenshots:
*VERY WIP at this point*

As I said I will try to keep this thread updated so please check by from time to time. Comments are welcome as well but please keep in mind that everything is a work in progress! Thanks for reading this far and I hope you all enjoy it when/if I finish! :cool:

Last edited:
WickedPenguin said:
/me betrothes unborn daughters to DrGuppy.

This is going to prove to be an incredible map, an epic battle within this grand city. It's something we've all been looking for, I think - combined arms warfare in an urban environment.

I also love the idea of the unpainted KV-1. I remember reading about those in The 900 Days.

<3 :eek:

Original9 said:
Please for the love of god raise the lightingscale for the players so they receive more light. That way people wont be completely black in shadows and just end up a tk fest like most dark maps.

Yes the lighting is very basic at the moment and requires a lot more work. It will be brighter don't worry. ;)

Upvote 0
Remember to study a lots of old pictures from Leningrad during the siege!

Also PLEASE - Consider making it larger! Layout you posted shows that its a very small piperun. Tank toward tank, straight lines, no possibility of flanking - maps with layout like this will become very dull in very short time. :/

Hopefully you have intended to make all visible buildings accesible.

Upvote 0
Pretty cool map, and nice research.

I assume this map is in the early part of the battle since you didn't give the russians the PPS43. You always read that in the battle of Leningrad, they made them, and minutes later they were being used on the front.

I also always wanted someone to make a German/Finnish assualt map on Leningrad. That would be sick since the Finns had some great weapons.

Upvote 0
Personally, I think this level needs to be presented during the day to show off all the cool architecture this scene has to offer - a cityscape always seems to fair better when you see it silhouetted against a light sky backdrop - you get a better depth to the surroundings and a much greater sense of scale I think - just a personal thing

If you're dead set on a night time scenario you need to compensate the lighting - street lamps will be your primary source of light (providing power hasn't been cut to the area;))
Moonlit scenes always look kinda weird if not done right for some reason - if you take the route of everything lit by burnig fires you will have to work hard getting the lighting right and reaching those places that will not receive much - it's a tricky one but if done well can give fantastic results

Keep an eye on how your world limits are presented to us - try not to contain it to just a couple of straight roads and sealing the level and giving it that obvious 'arena' feel

Optimization may also be a problem with this level so some careful planning required I think

Incidentally, are you basing this on 1:1 scale of the real location?

Lruce

Upvote 0
The only thing i dislike is the whole idea that this never happened, but i guess it'll be a fun map to play. You should add snipers, i think they'd be good hiding in the buildings. Perhaps also take our suggestions that the map should be made a bit larger, so as not to create a "funnel" effect where the action is only happening in one place. This happened on the map, "Lodz B4", this map is basicaly one road, it sucks, it's at night time too and looks awful. I definately say you should set it in the day time, it would look SO MUCH better!

Nice pics though

Upvote 0
Drude said:
Remember to study a lots of old pictures from Leningrad during the siege!

Also PLEASE - Consider making it larger! Layout you posted shows that its a very small piperun. Tank toward tank, straight lines, no possibility of flanking - maps with layout like this will become very dull in very short time. :/

Hopefully you have intended to make all visible buildings accesible.

I've done quite a bit of research for this map and I'm trying to make everything as historically accurate as possible. Trolleybuses, sign boards, street lamps, etc. were all done from photos from Leningrad during the seige.

I do not plan on making the map any larger than it already is because of how difficult it is fight your way down the street. I understand the map is very linear but in real life it would have been the same I imagine. Tanks would have been forced down single streets without any opportunity to flank. As I said, most buildings will have at least the ground floor as enterable. :)

[RO]Wilsonam said:
Don't forget that the PPS-42/43 was made exclusively in Leningrad during the siege...

The map is set in January of 1942 so no PPsh-42/43's. ;) I do have another map planned out set near Leningrad that will have the 2nd Shock Army (IIRC) equipped almost entirely with SMGs assaulting the German positions across the Neva River in 1943.

Lruce Bee said:
Personally, I think this level needs to be presented during the day to show off all the cool architecture this scene has to offer - a cityscape always seems to fair better when you see it silhouetted against a light sky backdrop - you get a better depth to the surroundings and a much greater sense of scale I think - just a personal thing

If you're dead set on a night time scenario you need to compensate the lighting - street lamps will be your primary source of light (providing power hasn't been cut to the area;))
Moonlit scenes always look kinda weird if not done right for some reason - if you take the route of everything lit by burnig fires you will have to work hard getting the lighting right and reaching those places that will not receive much - it's a tricky one but if done well can give fantastic results

Keep an eye on how your world limits are presented to us - try not to contain it to just a couple of straight roads and sealing the level and giving it that obvious 'arena' feel

Optimization may also be a problem with this level so some careful planning required I think

Incidentally, are you basing this on 1:1 scale of the real location?

Lruce

The map will be a lot lighter than in the screenshots but I am dead set on a night scenario as I feel it works a lot better for optimization, searchlights, AA fire, etc. Fires will be the primary source of light but overall the map should be about as dark as KrasnyiOktyabr. Power was in short supply so no man-made lights except maybe a few candles. It will be a challenge to light it properly but I'm confident I can pull it off.

The map is completely on a 1:1 scale. :cool:

Moz said:
looks good, but whats with all the notes?

The notes are there as references to websites and information about the buildings because they're all based on real life examples.

Thanks for all the comments everyone and {Cap-Down} I forgot to add that the Germans have one sniper, I'll edit that in right now. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.