• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

budget system

big smoke

Jun 22, 2006
What do you guys think about this system:
AMD Sempron 64 2800 (256l2 cache version)
1GB DDR400 (2x 512)
120GB SATA 1.5 hard drive
Geforce 6600 (possibly overclocked)
XP home

I want a new computer but I am on a very tight budget, especially since I'm purchasing Windows XP. The only part that I am wary about is the CPU, and I keep thinking that I should save up 30 more dollars and get a Athlon 64 3000 instead...

Make sure your CPU/Mobo is 939. That lesser one (700 something?) is more or less an intermediate step between Socket A and 939. Honestly, though, it's hard to make budget systems worth it if you plan on continuing to play 'leading edge' games (I use that term loosely, and just to make the argument). If you're interested in keeping up with games without having to worry about hardware, you're better off saving the budget-system dollars towards a top-notch computer.

Other than that, it's a decent barebones system, assuming you have a good brand mobo/sound card/RAM/PSU/case/other cooling picked out that you're not showing us :) Be warned though, it will be on the low end in about six months, eight tops. It will keep running RO fine though :)

Upvote 0
In my experiance, budget upgrades allways end up beeing an expensive disapointment.

They never really do what you where hoping for, usually, you end up getting a few extra FPS in your games, or the abillity to turn one feature on in your game and have the same FPS as before, but its nothing much, and certainly not what you hope for after spending all the money RAM, CPU and vid-cards cost (lets face it, even in the mid to low range, thouse components are expensive!).

So my advice would be to save up some more money, and go for the deluxe upgrade, in the end, you will be much happier with that, and it will last you longer.

Upvote 0
big smoke said:
What do you guys think about this system:
AMD Sempron 64 2800 (256l2 cache version)
1GB DDR400 (2x 512)
120GB SATA 1.5 hard drive
Geforce 6600 (possibly overclocked)
XP home

I want a new computer but I am on a very tight budget, especially since I'm purchasing Windows XP. The only part that I am wary about is the CPU, and I keep thinking that I should save up 30 more dollars and get a Athlon 64 3000 instead...
Wait until the next-generation DirectX 10 hardware will come available.

Then your system will decrease even more in price and might even make you able to afford a 7800GS or AMD Athlon X2 2800+...

I'd personally go with the flow and wait for the Core 2 Duo... For 224 euros you have a processor which seems to match AMD's finest...

Upvote 0
Grobut said:
In my experiance, budget upgrades allways end up beeing an expensive disapointment.

They never really do what you where hoping for, usually, you end up getting a few extra FPS in your games, or the abillity to turn one feature on in your game and have the same FPS as before, but its nothing much, and certainly not what you hope for after spending all the money RAM, CPU and vid-cards cost (lets face it, even in the mid to low range, thouse components are expensive!).

So my advice would be to save up some more money, and go for the deluxe upgrade, in the end, you will be much happier with that, and it will last you longer.

That's the direct route of what I was trying to get at :) Thanks! (seriously, it was early and I was tired. I never even should have posted :p)

Upvote 0