• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design RO-Orel: amazing, humongous tank map!

Ok slashbot you obviously have a hit map, so dont do what others try to do and try to please everybody and then end up with a map that doesnt resemble your original vision and idea just do what you feel is right as you obviously know more about making a good REALISTIC tank map better then all but a tiny few on these forums.

Upvote 0
Ron said:
Ok slashbot you obviously have a hit map, so dont do what others try to do and try to please everybody and then end up with a map that doesnt resemble your original vision and idea just do what you feel is right as you obviously know more about making a good REALISTIC tank map better then all but a tiny few on these forums.

Ronno, you got that right man. This is the gold standard for RO maps right now. a project with vision, and innovation. what's cool is, no matter what the dissenters say, people vote with their feet.

there are more FULL servers with the Orel tank map running than any other custom map right now, and perhaps ANY map at all for that matter.

freakin' WELL DONE Slashbot. Vision & execution, that's what it's all about. THIS is what RO Tanking is supposed to be about.

Upvote 0
One main reason why Orel is going gangbusters is because its a tank map which offers a great deal of maneuverability, excellent flanking opportunities, and long distance shooting. Most of which is in excess of 1km, which demands accuracy.

This is similar to how most of the major tank battles were actually fought. This map amplifies the need to plan your strategy and then work your plan. Sure, the spawns seem to need to be moved closer in but then as you play, they do strategically move in. I think where they are now is just right.

This map has a solid future.. watch what happens with it next month. Right now, the author is in China for 4 weeks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Corban Ireland said:
Amazing map, just played it this morning on the FK server. It would be absolutely freakishly awesome if you could get sixty people on that map. A truly epic map, if I do say so myself.

Do you reckon in ww2 there would be that many tanks in one area, i'm not sure myself although having 60 would definately make the massive map seem a bit smaller and therefore the map would become more engaging. As there would be more enemies.

Upvote 0
{Cap-Down} said:
Do you reckon in ww2 there would be that many tanks in one area, i'm not sure myself although having 60 would definately make the massive map seem a bit smaller and therefore the map would become more engaging. As there would be more enemies.

The Battle of Kursk; July 4th 1943 (Wikipedia)

It took four months before the Germans felt ready, by which time they had collected 200 of the new Panther tanks (only 40 available at the beginning of the battle due to technical problems with the new type), 90 ElefantPanzerj

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Drude said:
Arcade nerves.
You know... you are somewhat right. I have to admit it kinda bored me out as well the first time I played it (driving for ten minutes only to get killed, repeat).

But on this map, you have to think differently. On most RO tank maps like Arad for example, you can put yourself in a "rush" state of mind: rush to the objectives, angle the tank when you see an enemy tank, destroy the tank, move on and repeat.

On Orel however, that isn't the most effective way. You have to take your time, move in convoys, flank and set up ambushes. The map lasts like 80 minutes so there's plenty of time to execute a plan. Those who think realistically and use patience will be succesful. "Rambo tankers" will just be killed after a 10 minute ride. Orel is the only RO map I can think of that does that; punishing Rambos.

Upvote 0
The map is nice, even though I'm not a big tanker. So there are forward spawn points? Because I never saw any (although my team was getting owned, so that is probably why).

One suggestion I have that hasn't been mentioned so far is to put only two objectives into play at once. This would concentrate the action a lot more instead of having your team go off into 5 different directions.

Upvote 0