• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Lakelands Final (Day and Night Versions)

There appears to be only one resupply area on the map, and that's in Gorinsky. Another one would be nice, like near the German spawn area.
I noticed a minefield near the Russian spawn in Gorinsky, also. I had spotted 2 clown cars in the distance and was moving through the town when i hit the minefield. Kind of deceptive, don't you think?

Upvote 0
My biggest concern with the map is the minefields. When I was playing as axis, I was trying to flank a T34. I moved slighty to the right to only be destroyed instantly. This really screws up the strategy, because if you can't flank the T34s they are hard to take out with the early german tanks.

Also, the Allied spawn needs fixing. It is all too easy for the German tankers to set up around the village and rape the Allied spawn.

Upvote 0
BobCobb said:
My biggest concern with the map is the minefields. When I was playing as axis, I was trying to flank a T34. I moved slighty to the right to only be destroyed instantly. This really screws up the strategy, because if you can't flank the T34s they are hard to take out with the early german tanks.

Also, the Allied spawn needs fixing. It is all too easy for the German tankers to set up around the village and rape the Allied spawn.

Ok there I will look into moving the allied Infantry spawn maybe towards the tank spawn a bit, But make a new one time spawn for the allies inside one of the town Buildings.

Where were you trying to Flank ??. as there are quite a few minfields on the map and I don't want to edit all of them if it is just one.

Upvote 0
Well, I was on the West side I believe. I had just crossed the bridge, and another german tank was engaging the T34. We went to the right of the ruins in between the treeline and the ruins. Instant explosion. This happened a couple other times, but I forgot where specifically. For the areas where it is easy to pass right next to the treeline, don't place the minefields. Generally I would make most of the minefields smaller. I counted at least 3 times we were destroyed, while engaged in combat. Fairly close combat as well. The minefields should really be just so people don't drive off the map.

Upvote 0
I have edited the map to reflect the comments made here and elsewhere.

List of changes:

Changes: Version Final2

Added new russian Infantry spawn in town building, They will spawn there until the

Central Bridge is capped.

Moved original russian infantry spawn further back for extra protection.

Russian Can not now recap the Central Bridge.

Added New bridge accross Pond behind the original Russian Infantry Spawn. ( this is

to allow them quicker access to the town area, once they start spawning in that

location)

Changed Lighting on the tunnel under road ( was to bright)

Removed Collision on some grass near western Bridge ( was blocking players and

vehicles)

Increased Water level height to Obscure Bridge support Legs.

Players will now DIE if going under the water, ( tunnel is safe to go through as

your head does not go below water level).

Still cannot get water to damage Vehicles :(.

Removed back end of (Hedgehog) Building.

Added 4 resupply caches.

Moved Minefields to map edges, should not now kill you unless attempting to go outside the map.

It is in Testing at the moment I will release it once it has been tested properly.

Thanks to all for your comments, I hope I have fixed everything that was mentioned.

Upvote 0
=GG= Mr Moe said:
I was wondering....

Played Lakelands Final the other day, and a German Tank came up upon the Russian Spawn and was just murdering everyone as soon as they spawned. Is there spawn protection, or was this maybe a server setting?

:confused:

I can verify that this was happening last night on the Night version (forget which server). There were at least 2 axis tanks able to sit and mow us down repeatedly in the spawn. They were possibly outside of a minefield but with a direct line of sight into the actual spawn and the various spawn area exits. Perhaps the spawn is too close to that objective in the middle (crap memory this morning) beging with 'G' I think.

Upvote 0
Three points:

1.) At the very least, the German vehicle spawn needs enemy-only mines at the far side. Realisitcally, there is no reason for the Russians to cross the bridges, so maybe putting enemy-only minefields right there would solve some of the problems. As a Russian I was able to drive up to this house and fence, and basically destroy parked German tanks. Not to mention machinegun spawning troops. That'll cause problems.

2.) More vehicles are needed. It's better to assume that people will NOT team-tank and will go off on their own. If you have more tankers than you have vehicles, expect problems. This is exacerbated by servers running with bots, because ANY bot can drive any vehicle. This means infantry bots can drive tanks. It's one of the most infuriating things about tank maps with bots. I'd add some more vehicles so you don't have stranded teammates waiting for something to spawn.

3.) Visibility. I don't get it. You do a tank/CA map but you limit visibility to, like, 200m? Maybe 500 at the most? What's the point of having tanks then? It sure seems short given all the fog. The fog's great for the infantry portion, but for tanks it makes no sense. Might make more sense to have a whole slew of armored cars/APCs instead of the tanks. As it stands, it's hammers 'n' eggshells for the tank combat.

Upvote 0