• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Key Binding for Players left mouse

grall1126

Jun 4, 2006
I play all my shooters with my left hand using the mouse and the right hand using the keyboard and especially the up, down, left and right keys next to the numpad as the movement keys. Does anyone else do this and what is the best configuration to use.?? I am just looking for some suggestions to improve,
thanks

Before Red Orchestra, I played all shooters with the arrow keys. There I always had all importan functions clean and near in reach.

But then leaning came and I needed more keys right next to my movement keys... so I changed to WASD.

Ontopic:
There is no best configuration and you will not "improve" if you just change to someone else's key-config. Most people play with WASD and the keys around, but I went well with the arrow keys for years and I saw people playing with UHJK or other keys right in the middle of the keyboard.

To put in a nutshell... imho the arrow keys havent got enough near keys for ROOST, maybe change to something you like. It takes some hours to get used to a new key-layout, but it soon becomes as natural as before.

Upvote 0
Maybe I'm a freak, but I use a 5 button mouse and the numpad mainly. I like the way the keys line up straight, and it is easier for me to find without looking because it is isolated from the other keys. I assign the arrow keys to the 1-4 weapon/vehicle binds. The 6 Ins, Home, etc. keys are for voting menu, scores, map, etc.

If you want the whole list, I'll post it, but you can probably figure out what works for you.

Upvote 0
Well...I also have been known to play a lot of IL2, its a flying game, much like RO but in the sky....VERY realistic. Anyway...RO is my game of choice at present.

I use my CH Products throttle control in my left hand, and mouse on the right. The control has 23 button positions, i believe, and a mouse "stick" control, and a nice slider. I never have to worry about looking down at the keyboard, kinda nice. If I ever need more buttons, the joystick has a bunch more that I don't currently need for the game.

Upvote 0
WASD .. ARGHHH!!! Finger Cramps!!

I have my controls set up in 3 basic groups.

1: Used most often (move , fire , iron sights,mic.)
LMB moves forward , RMB fires , MWheel down = mic chat
I use these cause my hand is resting comfortably on the mouse anyway so I just have to press with a finger to perform 80% of the action in any game.

2: Panic moves (things you wanna fairly often do but in a hurry) assigned to BIG keys so they're hard to miss. ie : Reload = Enter key , prone = Space key

3: Others: Things you want to do but actually have time to look at the keyboard if necessary: ie : o=Objectives map etc.

Upvote 0
WASD user here I have forgone the leaning functions of OST in favour of my prefered key layout

Q - Throw weapon
E - Use
R - Bayonete/Deploy

W - Forward
A - Left
S - Back
D - Right
F - Sprint
C - Prone

Alt - Crouch
Left Shift - Alt fire
Space Jump

On my mouse I have the following settings

Left mouse - Fire
Right Mouse - Iron Sight
Main thumb - Reload
Second Thumb - Alt Fire (Again)

Have tried many key configs over the years & this is my prefered option. but as I use an M$ Ergonomic keyboard it make it more comeftable to use in this way.

Right handed Mouse & left keys.

Upvote 0
up,down,left,right=movment
delete,end=leaning
page down=melee
insert=supply ammo
KEYPAD
0=reload
1=attach bayo/secondary
2=change MG barrel
3=switch fire mode
4=drop weapon
Rest are voice binds, charge, enemy left flank...
Enter=use
right shift=sprint
right control=toggle crouch
/=prone
left mouse=fire
right mouse= jump
scroll button=sights

I always have used this or a similar config since i started playing PC games.
I'm right handed to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0