• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design RO-Orel: amazing, humongous tank map!

kabex

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2006
Mexico
You HAVE to play this map, especially if you like tanking. It's on in the FKs Tank maps w/ custom servers(#4 and #2).

It's freaking huge, it takes like 10 mins to drive all the way through it, maybe more. It's just amazing.

Realistic tanking experience IMO, the drawdistance is ~1000 meters and Arad is a joke compared to this, the tanking is just excellent. No infantry at all!

Really like it so far. Apparently the mapper went on vacation so this is all we get for a month or so. The time limit is like 90:00. :eek:!

Great map, seconded! I discovered the map this morning (saw you there, kabex :) ), and loved every bit of it. Definitely a map for more patient players, as it can take you several minutes just to get to the combat zone. However, this helps immersion and the experience is very rewarding. There is a nice variety of terrain (plains, hills, etc.) which provides excellent tactical opportunites (flanking round hills, taking cover in villages), and really tests your gunnery skills. Killing a T34 with a PzIV F2 at 1000m is a proper thrill...

Highly recommended!

Upvote 0
i just tried out the map after reading this post and im blown away. I freaking love it, it makes tanking a whole new experience, I think it adds more team work instead of tankers going off to solo and then getting blown up, repeating the same process repeatedly. This bugger makes your team move and not camp the whole time. The map IS HUUUUUUGE, jeezus christ I think its almost the size of oblivion or something. I could probably keep my tank going foward and then go to the store, take a shower, make a sandwich and my tank would still be driving to a cap point. I think it makes you more careful with tanking because of the long drive when you die. Im really enjoying it so far, all the tankers get submachine guns I think, theres still some annoying sappers and etc. I hope there will be more amazing maps like this in the future.

Upvote 0
Yep i god damn love this map even with alot of things needing polish, its by far the best custom out there and i prefer it to TW's tank maps this map makes the game seem like a proper tank simulation rather then a drive out the spawn and take pot shots at each other till the map ends. Dont get me wrong i love arad but orel really takes tank tactics and communication to a new level arad feels like a practice range compared to this.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I've been playing some more and I think the armor loadouts are a little gimped on the Axis side. The 2 panthers are nice, but I'd like to see a Tiger there added for good measure(Only fair, because the Soviets get all T34/85).

The T34/85 is a damn good tank in this map, the speed is just great. I love playing as Soviets here. I also like the lack of an IS2 imo it'd be a huge rapefest with the IS2 and PZIV's.

We will have to wait a month for the Tiger probably. Such a shame, this is the perfect Tiger map. :(

Upvote 0
kabex said:
Yeah, I've been playing some more and I think the armor loadouts are a little gimped on the Axis side. The 2 panthers are nice, but I'd like to see a Tiger there added for good measure(Only fair, because the Soviets get all T34/85).

The T34/85 is a damn good tank in this map, the speed is just great. I love playing as Soviets here. I also like the lack of an IS2 imo it'd be a huge rapefest with the IS2 and PZIV's.

We will have to wait a month for the Tiger probably. Such a shame, this is the perfect Tiger map. :(

This was posted by slashbot the maker of the map.
Originally Posted by Slashbot_427
Well.. crap!

Ill have to change that, but I'll leave it till I get back from china. Maybe some more KV-1s to replace them.

Upvote 0
I just gave this a try and I must say, wow.....huge. I got my longest ever tank kill at 1000 metres with a PzIV. Shots seem to connect better at longer ranges. I was only playing with about 5 other guys though, hopefully I can try it later with a ful server.

There is no infantry at all.....but the map is so bloody big, that unless you were organised enough to egt the whole team into half-tracks and go for the objectives as one group (as you should do really), there wouldnt be much combat anyway.

Upvote 0
well i gave tanking a try today and played this map this morning as well, i think you were in the same server kabex.
it truely is huge :eek: after that i played a bit of arad and it felt like an infantry map in comparisons, due to the sizes, it just felt way to small

anybody know where i can download the full version of the panzerlied? or just marching songs in general? they sound cool ^^ i have looked around on google etc but it got me to some neonazi forum where everybody acts like its a song against jews, and make it look like sudden strike is a nazi game in wich you have to kill all jews and black people :?****ing idiots got me so annoyed i got the idea of signing in and bashing them all, but it wouldnt do much good.. someone should kick them to the head and give them some damn fecking sense, hell, id be glad to do it by myself if it wasnt for those damned assholes to hole up in groups ...

well, back on topic... orel should have arad's grass ^^

again, any hints to where i could get these songs would be greatly apreciated ^^

Last edited:
Upvote 0