• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is the recoil on the MP41 really different from the MP40?

I think the differences are pretty slim from what you think the wooden stock does to the gun.

The butt attack probably does a bit more damage, the recoil's probably a little less, as well as bullet spread. The wooden stock, which adds to the weight, probably makes it heavier, which means you have a shorter time of which you can stay in iron sight mode, and since the stock isn't collapsable (this probably isn't really an issue, but I hear it makes a difference), it's a bit more cumbersome indoors, much like a regular Mosin-Nagant is more cumbersome than the Mosin-Nagant carbine.

Upvote 0
Very true. The MP41 actually was one of the weapons I was absolutely glad not to see in Ostfront anymore. I mean, it was basically military police issue only.

The Problem the weapon creates in-game is that it's now very common to see it. I hardly see anyone use the MP40 anymore, if you can choose between MP40 and MP41. Why should they anyway? When looking at the two, a wooden buttstock surely implies better controlability of the weapon.

I can't tell, if the weapon actually handles differently than the MP40 in-game as I just played with it myself one or two times, but no matter if it does or not, the decision to bring it in is kinda flawed. If it is easier to use than the MP40, implementing the MP41 as an alternative choice to the former is questionable from a Game Design point of view. It's basically what you call a dominant strategy in Game Theory, as most people will always use the best choice available and thus will choose the MP41 - a weapon that was so uncommon that its constant appearance annoys everybody who is a bit into WW2 small arms history. The MP40 is dominated by the MP41 in this case. Just to compare things: There is no problem with the MP40 and the Stg44 on the other hand. Shadow costs make sure that both weapons have their own field of use and tradeoffs compared to the other, even though they are still very similar in many aspects. The MP40 and MP41 are just too similar, though (which is understandable, if you look at the weapons), making a differenciation with shadow costs almost impossible while maintaining gameplay balance and preventing dominant strategies.

However, even if the MP41 is absolutely identical to the MP40 in-game, which like I said, I can't really comment, it wouldn't make much sense bringing it in either, as the only purpose it serves then is variation as Uber_Bob correctly stated. The problem with that is that it conflicts with authenticity - something used a lot in regard to other game features by the developers. The weapon destroys some of the authenticity RO:O tries to get across, that's just a matter of fact. But this is by far not as worse as having the MP41 dominate the MP40 as alternative choice, because it's better. Still the motivation of bringing it in can be questioned in terms of development resources used. When I look on my personal list of things to add and adjust, I would have chosen some other things to concentrate on than the MP41 - but well...

Upvote 0
NakedGun said:
The true difference of the MP41 is fire-selector, but Tripwire team just ignore this fact. I think they will never add single fire option to MP41 and PPSh41 because they ignore all ppls requests about it on this forum. I dont know why they so unrespectful to the history and gamers. :(

dude, clean that sand out of your pants.

if you done with that, show me some company that responds in a similar way to its customers like TW does.
Maybe you are not here long enough, but many of the complaints that the players had in the mod times are no now in the game, i wouldnt say TW ignores the gamers.
As for history, im not a gun nut, but im quite sure the single fire topic with the PPSh41 has been discussed quite some time now, and the result was that the amount of PPsh's which actuall had the fire mode selection was very low.

Upvote 0
worluk said:
if you done with that, show me some company that responds in a similar way to its customers like TW does.
Maybe you are not here long enough, but many of the complaints that the players had in the mod times are no now in the game, i wouldnt say TW ignores the gamers.

TBF the makers of WWIIonline (CRS) listen to their customers quitre a lot. Having not played any other MMMMOORGPPEHFEWE type games I couldn't comment on the behaviour of other game designers but it doesn't make good business strategy to ignore your customers.

However, 1 person on a forum bitches about something out of a forum full of people. Only a tiny ammount of RO owners are users of the forums so that 1 person represents a minute proportion of the RO gamers. Should TW change the game for 1000s (maybe, you never know) because of the opinions of 1 or a handful of customers.

If you've read down to here and are wondering what the point of this all is, sit down, I've some bad news for you, I really don't know. I guess I hate childish bitching on forums, ducking and diving to avoid the dummies and rattles being spat out of prams.

You can never have those 2 minutes back, muahahahahaha I am the thief of time etc.....

Upvote 0
worluk said:
As for history, im not a gun nut, but im quite sure the single fire topic with the PPSh41 has been discussed quite some time now, and the result was that the amount of PPsh's which actuall had the fire mode selection was very low.

The result was absolutely no prove about PPSh without fire-selector. Use search before post please. And show us photo of PPSh without fire-selector. Its will be fun.

P.S. Here tons of photos of real PPSh with it: http://images.google.com/images?q=ppsh+41
P.P.S. And model of PPSh in RO game have fire-selector too: http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ppsh418dj.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The MP41 does handle slightly differently than the MP40 in game. It has slightly less recoil than the Mp40 due to its added weight and wooden buttstock. It also has a slower free-aim rotation speed because of that added weight and wooden stock. This means its better in general at mid range combat, and not quite as good for hipshooting in CQB.

Upvote 0
[RO]Ramm-Jaeger said:
The MP41 does handle slightly differently than the MP40 in game. It has slightly less recoil than the Mp40 due to its added weight and wooden buttstock. It also has a slower free-aim rotation speed because of that added weight and wooden stock. This means its better in general at mid range combat, and not quite as good for hipshooting in CQB.

Thanks for clearing that up, its a very subtle difference that I didn't notice much myself, but more choice is always good

Upvote 0