• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Ported map

Killer9999

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
ok is any one porting old maps i thought people would be so i didnt...

bored of waiting so post in here if you are and im now porting RO-Warsaw

this is what ive done so far

shot000069pt.jpg

and
shot000076fc.jpg

at the moment im concentrating on gettin it looking like the old one havent decide wat needs changing any constructive suggestions?
http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/7933/shot000076fc.jpg

yeah, add alternative routes. Maybe through buildings?
Add more detail to the map. Use different textures (specially for the roofs)
Scale the textures properly (rooftextures are too "big")
Add things lying around in the streets and on the square. Maybe a deadhorse with a cart behind it ,ect...
add a bit more cover to the square ( grenades where killers...)
dont give every class grenades!!! ( maybe just 2 should get them)
Detail the interiors of the houses (take a look at Odessa)
Make proper spawnprotection. Germans could get camped easily ( if done right:D) an alternative route might do the trick.
NO arty!! dont ever think about that!;)

just some thoughts

Upvote 0
I would rather see a Warsaw with drastic changes. If you insist on porting the old version, I would suggest:

-no nades at all, but if you must only 1 or 2 classes.
-more routes, many many more.
-more entrances to square for the allies, at least a door or something instead of making them crawl thu windows/rubble
-limiting the smgs on Axis (balance) but even better would be to only give 2 per side a la Kaukasus (tho not very realistic in an urban setting)

Upvote 0
Add a Stug and a T-60

:p

But seriously:
* Additional spawn protection for the Allies
* See if there's something you can do about the infamous "roof" that overlooks the way to the Allied spawn
* Add more cover on the way to the hotel
* Change the lighting around some, change up the environment. It doesn't need to exactly match the time of day and sky condition as the original.

Upvote 0
Change it to winter and mix it together with spartakovka :p.

Then instead of grenades give everybody satchells.

Nah its my favourite map and i like the way how passing the square goes. Plz don't make the reinforcements shorter than the original. But indeed limit grenades to commanders only or something like that.

Together with things to make spawncamping harder will make this map lovely. But the advantage of the hard spawnexits was that if at one point your complete team died the other won so you always had to have people alive. With alternative routes to the capzone this map might never be won. But indeed make the spawnkilling a bit harder :)

Upvote 0
I am porting another map over from the Mod as well. This is looking good. I would not change anything and keep it to a close to the mod version. If you would like to release a map with some differences name it something different like Warsaw-Changes or something.

I think it would be cool to get a naming convention for ported maps such as what i did with Ambush (AmbushOST) so people can know the difference between a port or a interpretation of a mod map.

I know of another person porting maps for fun. It might be interesting in getting a team together in porting the official mod maps over (with permission if the mapper is around).

Upvote 0
yer theres certain issues that ive areadty had when playin on warsaw like leaning and stuff (ie windows too low)

if you want to get together and make sure no one porting the same map that would be a good idea

im porting warsaw
and want to port rostov

i like the RO-[Name] and RO-[Name]Ost thing and will probally use that what are you (planning on) porting? (that questions for everyone)

Upvote 0
I dont want to add my nick to the end of a map because some people will view as trying to take credit for someone elses work. I just want to port the maps i loved in the mod to this version without offending any of the Authors because it was really there vision and work they put into the map. Granted porting a map is no walk in the park either since it really is at times building most of a map from scratch.

I think having a standard of RO-MapnameOST for ports is a good thing as people will know they are ported from the mod. Instead of RO-Mapname-Majai they will just think i created the map. Who knows maybe if we have enough we could release a RO mod mappack.

I am working on Spartakovka.

Its almost in BETA i have to fix stairs and get the lighting worked out but i am almost happy with it as a port.

Once its ported i was thinking of opening up the buildings and having demolitions play a bigger role in getting to objectives.

Here are a few screens.

PM me if you want to discuss this further. I have a Ventrilo server we could use to collaborate on stuff if needed.

Upvote 0
Ahhh I remember nade spam alley in Spartovka classic. I barely even knew what the inside of the repair shop looked like it was all about the alleys and how many nades you could fling down there :D. Also please tell me you are going to get rid of that flanking path that led into Russian spawn. ~~

Warsaw looks nice as well, with less grenades and limited Axis smg's it should be fun.

Upvote 0