• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Major ERROR ON PATCH!

SMG recoil

SMG recoil

When my FPS goes down under 20, I can't shoot anything besides a rifle. Before the patch when my FPS went under 20 I had no recoil and could shoot a whole magazine in a PPSH standing up in Iron sights with perfect accuracy and absolutely no recoil.

After playing the game with the update and playing the Odessa map with a SMG, and seen what had happened I could not continue to play it anymore.

All my settings are the same, pre-patch, the .ini file, everything same.

This sucks, after so many great hours of gaming before the patch, I have to stop playing because of extreme frustration.

Hope you can fix this, Im sure something will be done, you guys have a great team and actually care about us so I am not worried.

P4 1.4 Ghz
640 MB Ram
GeForce FX 5600 256 mb

Crappy system yes, but before the patch I can run settings on medium and enjoy the game alot.

Upvote 0
Tonym81 said:
When my FPS goes down under 20, I can't shoot anything besides a rifle. Before the patch when my FPS went under 20 I had no recoil and could shoot a whole magazine in a PPSH standing up in Iron sights with perfect accuracy and absolutely no recoil.

This was a exploit, glitch, bug.
When you had no recoil, it was kinda cheating.

I have pretty good pc but every patch has made my RO start and run faster so degrading of your system is quite odd, I think you should defrag HDD and reinstall the RO from installation files.

Upvote 0
Drude said:
Stop using acid.

Patch did not do anything on smg's.
Last night I played with ALL smg's and kept owning people with em.
Nothing had changed, especially recoil was all the same.

umm... looking at your specs im not surprised...
had you bothered to look through the posts here you could have noticed that it only happens when the fps drops below 30... wich i suspect yours never do...

so stop trying to voice over other peoples legitimate complains...

Upvote 0
Oddball_E8 said:
umm... looking at your specs im not surprised...
had you bothered to look through the posts here you could have noticed that it only happens when the fps drops below 30... wich i suspect yours never do...

so stop trying to voice over other peoples legitimate complains...

If I understood - before the patch people with unplayble fps had NO recoil while shooting smg.
Now when they have the same recoil that normal fps players have had, they whine?

... maybe I'll try boost up my settings so much that I will have under 25fps to test this thing, see what these people are talking about.

Upvote 0
Drude - you are completely clueless aren't you. You have no idea what is going on with this bug. It is NOT recoil, it is broken. SMGs immediately point skyward when fired and there is no chance of pulling them down.

Currently this game is broken for me and many others. Having some halfwit boasting that his game is running fine does not help any of us.

Get out of this thread unless you have some solutions.

Upvote 0
Drude said:
If I understood - before the patch people with unplayble fps had NO recoil while shooting smg.
Now when they have the same recoil that normal fps players have had, they whine?

... maybe I'll try boost up my settings so much that I will have under 25fps to test this thing, see what these people are talking about.

Clearly you don't understand, you even admit as much, yet you continue to make insulting posts instead of READING and COMPREHENDING what others are saying. Why is that?

Low fps players do not have the same recoil as normal fps players, they have MORE recoil. That is the point which you are seemingly missing. I have this problem also, it is very frustrating to have your SMG pointed at the sky after firing only 4 rounds. Even with heavy mouse compensation, it still fires wildly off target.

I will never understand why people who aren't having problems with the game come the the *TECHNICAL SUPPORT* forum and bash the people who DO have problems. This forum is for those who have found bugs or tech issues to come and have those problems solved, not for pompous jerks to come and tell them that they don't really have a problem.

Your game runs fine, so why are you even posting here?

Upvote 0
Rex Bellator said:
It is NOT recoil, it is broken. SMGs immediately point skyward when fired and there is no chance of pulling them down.
Get out of this thread unless you have some solutions.

Ok - you made it clear between serious error and regular whine about change.

- as I said, Ill try to reproduce this thing so maybe I could help dev's or the people who are experiencing it.

Upvote 0
Drude, the people who are getting this bug aren't people with the unplayable FPS that would cause the no recoil bug. I had it happen ONE time on Kongisplatz while artillery was falling and mcafee was prolly doing something in the background :rolleyes:

I run at 28-38 FPS, but usually around 28-30. ANY TIME the FPS drops below 30 my recoil goes INSANE, note: NOT HOW EVERYONE ELSE'S RECOIL IS, but INSANE! I had normal recoil pre-patch, so please stop with your clueless antics about how "people who had no recoil before the patch are whining about having to deal with the recoil everyone else has." This also only occurs with the PPsh, and it DOESN'T matter if I'm prone or resting, etc etc. 3 shots and I'm at the sky. This also happens with German MGs.

Seriously people, if you feel the need to make useless comments, or tell people that they aren't experiencing a bug, read the ENTIRE THREAD first.

Upvote 0
Lionel-RIchie said:
This also only occurs with the PPsh, and it DOESN'T matter if I'm prone or resting, etc etc. 3 shots and I'm at the sky. This also happens with German MGs.
Maybe you meant "This NOT only occurs..."

As you say, I get it with all MGs, small or large, even prone with the MG42. I face a wall to get 40-60 fps and it fires dead level, I face the enemy, get under 30ish fps and within one burst the thing is firing 20 feet over their head. It makes the game frustrating and unplayable, in fact I just quit a game due to this bug.

As much as I love this game, I sincerely wish I hadn't paid for it. I expected the retail version to be improved over the mod. All the pretty graphics in the world don't matter if I don't have a fair chance to hit my target.

*Edit* I take it back, I'm still glad I bought it, I just wish my cpu didn't max out even with everything set as low as possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just a reminder and my own insights.

When I first played RO, and used the PPSH, I was like, "HOLY COW SOMEONE FINALLY MODELED THE PHYSICS ON A SMG CORRECTLY", however I soon found out this was a low FPS bug...how so? I had recoil and muzzle climb before the patch, nothing like it is now which makes the inf support class unplayable, not to mention the mg34/42's that climb to the sky now. Let this be known.

A little fun fact....anyone almost at 100 yards can dump a 71 round clip into a target with a PPSH and put 18-25 shots in a 22 group. A large group yes, but it's a wide as a man shoulders and chest...so he is dead or wounded. Hence this is why the PPSH was mass made, to give inexperienced troops with little or no marksmanship training or skills to make kills.

The PPSH was smooth to fire, easy to brace and accurate to 100 meters. In some cases, the rare case it was actually used for snipping with the box mag and could reach ranges of 300 meters and lay down volley fire and suppress a German attacks and appear as a squad of SMG. That is some historical data.

Now this is not one of those historical things where the DEV's have to institute something because it is historical accurate. It's just physics.

Imagine you where shooting a SMG that shot 3,000 per minute. Pull the trigger for 1 second 50 rounds go down range. When you pull the trigger on a PPSH it does not climb in the air...it's rate of fire is high enough that climb is minimal and down and back recoil is heavier then up and left recoil.

If you braced the PPSH, and walked your fire...at 900 RPM you would hose a whole room of enemies. Not because of random recoil pray-n-spray but because it would literally be a hose of lead for 4 seconds before the drum emptied.

So breaking it down.

PPSH SMG...High rate of rather accurate fire at 100-150 meters that takes 1-11 of carefully aimed fire to make a kill past 150 meters vs. One shot one kill rifles that take 1 second to make a kill.

The rifles in RO are 80% a one shot one kill weapon. Granted, but a SMG is not a rifle, and takes multiple rounds to make a kill. This means at 150 yards you have to take between 3-8 seconds to get a kill with a PPSH/MP40.

71 rounds on a PPSH=3 or 5 kills.
5 Rounds MS= 2-3 kills

So with Mosin Nagant rifle you could hypothetically kill 18 before you run out of ammo. With a PPSH, you can kill 9 before you need to resupply. and 9 kills with a PPSH makes you a god.

And that my friends is why RO Dev's should consider returning the SMG to a little recoil not a lot.

Upvote 0
[tR]Mad Mac said:
The recoil is the same as it WAS, just there is a bug that messes with low FPS players.

It shouldnt go back to the system where low FPS players had NO recoil, thats cheating.

Well, the system was "Some very low FPS players had no recoil" and we changed it to the new and improved "Very low AND low FPS and sometimes medium FPS players get unplayable recoil!"

Upvote 0