• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Cedega/Linux

Hi,

@Borat:
Good, u allready mentioned all the issues i've discovered so far :). Especially the fullscreen crash and the white menus would be a thing for an OpenGL update within the patch ;).
Good tip with the memory switch in the .ini file, i'll try that l8er.

@Moderators:
Moderators: Maybe someone should split this post to it's own topic and sticky it.
Yeah, plz sticky the Howto by Case above, maybe in the tech-support forum? That'd be cool, thx :).

Well, played it quite a few hours yesterday in windowed mode with 1024x768 resolution and some of the settings posted above....its more than playable :). I even have the feeling that it works quite a bit better than under windows...dunno.
Even with my old hardware (see my previous post) i get around 20-30 FPS, which is not bad. Only on huge maps like Konigsplatz or Rakowice it lags quite a bit, but that was the same when running it under windows.
Well, with a few fixes in the OpenGL render, the whole thing would be perfect :).

greetz,
gitano

Upvote 0
I just finished a few games on StalingradKessel. My FPS never dropped below 30 (as set in my ini file)... it ran really well. All we need now are the above OpenGL items to be fixed and we're up there with the Windblows guys :D

EDIT: It appears (to me) that the game is being limited predominantly by CPU power (due to having to run Cedega I'm guessing). While playing Konigsplatz, I tried the Max graphics settings and the Min settings. This only made around 5 fps of a difference. The biggest gain was made by turning off Blur. However, I could not disable Bloom, it is permenantly selected and can't be disabled ??

If we could get some OpenGL optimizations this would really help us out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Borat said:
However, I could not disable Bloom, it is permenantly selected and can't be disabled ??

At the end of the [WinDrv.WindowsClient] section of your RedOrchestra.ini file you will find "Bloom=True." Just change it to False. I don't think this will matter though. I got no discernable gain by setting this as the OpenGL renderer doesn't support it anyway.

Upvote 0
I think I should also point out that I got the game to work simply using WINE :D Before leaving for work this morning I gave it a quick go. I copied the RO files from the Steam folder into my WINE folder and...

cd ~/your/winedir/
wine steam.exe -clientbeta newfs -beta fs

One major problem was that the mouse appeared to be "locked" to the centre of the screen, so I had to TAB and ARROW my way around the menus. I only managed to get a practice going (as the TABbing was guess work mostly). The fps were also crappy (25 ish) but again, I did this all in around half an hour. However Steam booted much quicker than using cedega and so also did the game. I'll give it a better go later and try modifying the ini etc.

This is really to let any Linux guys out there know that purchasing Cedega is not essential (but may be the best option at present). WINE is advancing exceptionally fast and I guess this game will be running ok with it soon.

Well done to whoever had the idea to use this new filesystem. They may or may not have intended this help us out... but it has and that's what counts. Thanks also to the non-Linux guys for posting your support in this thread (Helmut_AUT etc ).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is just too excellent! :)

Soon I can remove Windows from my harddrive forever and finally run pure Linux (I'm happily running Fedora since a year back).

Again, this is just too good to be true... *off playing* (well actually I am playing as I'm typing this - in a stay on top window :p)

P.S
An OpenGL fix would be nice, he he.
D.S

Upvote 0
This is pretty cool just using WINE, I've got Red Orchestra running from it's own exe easy peasy, only about 10 fps worse than in windows. And I can also get steam up and running, provided I don't try to minimise it, but I can't get steam to launch RO and if I start up steam then RO independandtly I still can't get online. I'm working on it, but any ideas? (I refuse to use cedega :p)

Wey hey! got steam to launch RO! I installed the transgaming active X control. Only problem now is that RO crashed when loading a map due to not enough virtual memory. I'm off on a traul through google for wine and virtual memory. :D

/futher edit

Very odd, if I load a map in practise mode then I can successfully load and play a map online, but then it crashes due to lack of virtual memory if the server changes maps. Anyone else got this problem?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
MrBunsy said:
This is pretty cool just using WINE, I've got Red Orchestra running from it's own exe easy peasy, only about 10 fps worse than in windows. And I can also get steam up and running, provided I don't try to minimise it, but I can't get steam to launch RO and if I start up steam then RO independandtly I still can't get online. I'm working on it, but any ideas? (I refuse to use cedega :p)

Wey hey! got steam to launch RO! I installed the transgaming active X control. Only problem now is that RO crashed when loading a map due to not enough virtual memory. I'm off on a traul through google for wine and virtual memory. :D

/futher edit

Very odd, if I load a map in practise mode then I can successfully load and play a map online, but then it crashes due to lack of virtual memory if the server changes maps. Anyone else got this problem?

Silly question MrBunsy, but does your linux install have swap space enabled?

Upvote 0
How did you get the mouse cursor to start moving? I tried it under WINE but the mouse always stayed at the centre of the screen also. Pressing escape got me into freecam view and the mouse was OK but when I went back to the menus, same thing happened again. This is just out of curiousity, as I am currently using Cedega (with a few issues still to be sorted).

Upvote 0
I can get fullscreen using both. With opengl the panel sticks over the top of RO so I have to hide it, and with D3D it works properly like in windows. Unfortunatly D3D only works in the menus, in game it goes phsycodelic with lots of pretty colours and triangles over the screen and the only thing which looks vaguely normal is your gun.

Upvote 0
I tried downloading/installing the SDK using cedega and the beta filesystem. I'm not sure if I did something wrong but it broke everything horribly for me. Whenever I tried launching Ostfront I got the splashscreen and then a windows error box about my computer overheating or the game being corrupt. ???? WTF, overheating! That's a good one... Anyway, using steam to delete the SDK and then letting it re-update Ostfront fixed everything.

If anyone else gets the SDK working please post some details. But if trying this screws up your working Ostfront installation don't cry about it. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

Upvote 0
Hi,

Ho-hum...everybody gets this running with wine..except me -> not nice :D.
I am using the latest cvs (0.9.16) and whenever i am trying to start RO:OST through it, i get the following error

Code:
wine Steam.exe -clientbeta newfs -beta fs -applaunch 1200

err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {4955dd33-b159-11d0-8fcf-00aa006bcc59} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {4955dd33-b159-11d0-8fcf-00aa006bcc59} could be created for context 0x1
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_GetDeviceCaps Caps support for directx9 is nonexistent at the moment!
err:systray:delete_icon invalid tray icon ID specified: 1d
fixme:process:SetProcessWorkingSetSize (0xffffffff,-1,-1): stub - harmless
fixme:process:GetProcessWorkingSetSize (0xffffffff,0x4064e40c,0x4064e408): stub
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 59 (SPI_SETSTICKYKEYS)
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396} not registered
err:ole:create_server class {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396} could be created for context 0x7

together with a runtime error message box contaning

Code:
Runtime Error!
Program: ..\RedOrchestra.exe
R6025
-pure virtual function call

This appears any time, no matter what settings i use in the .ini. Cedega works fine... anyone with similar experiences?

Btw, has anyone tried to launch the Editor throug wine? It starts pretty good here with wine 0.9.16 (not with cedega), the program itself (windows, menubars etc) seems pretty useable, but neither the 3D viewports nor the texture/ mesh windows contain anything, it looks like this:

At least, for the very first time, unreal editor launches with wine :).

greetz,
gitano

Upvote 0