• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Cedega/Linux

Case

Data Hippo... in the pants
Nov 21, 2005
Santa Fe, NM
When I heard about the new beta filesystem something clicked in my head and my suspicions were confirmed. Using the non-SteamDrv filesystem means that Ostfront is NOW PLAYABLE USING CEDEGA ON LINUX!! Here's a screenshot of it running in windowed mode at 1024x768 using the OpenGL renderer. I'll follow up with detailed instructions on how to make this work later today. But, this is a totally new and wonderful development!

OstfrontLinux.jpg

The_Countess said:
dus it work on-line?
Looking at the screenshot, which says "please keep the language clean while enjoying our servers" I'd say so.

In fact, once I get my new hard disc going, giving me my old one spare I'm tempted to give this a go myself. That way I could also compare fps on the same hardware for a good windows vs linux comparison.

Upvote 0
Zetsumei said:
awesome how are the framerates compared to the mod?

I'm getting a solid 30-40 FPS on a full 32--player server and the Budapest map with the following computer and settings:
2 - 2.4GHz Xeon
2GB RAMM
6800GT 256MB
1280x1024 Windowed mode (not fullscreen)
OpenGL renderer

I am yet to play with it much to see what works best. I edited my RedOrchestra.ini file by hand to set the resolution and renderer.

Upvote 0
Here's a brief step-by-step.

1) Download and install Cedega (http://www.transgaming.com). I installed the latest version.
2) Download the Steam installer (http://www.steampowered.com)
3) Start up cedega and use point-n-play to run the steam installer.
4) Once steam is installed and updated, exit steam.
5) From a commandline, run the following:
Code:
cedega -winver winxp -use-dos-cwd ~/.cedega/Steam/c_drive/Program\ Files/Steam/ steam.exe -clientbeta newfs -beta fs
This command assumes you let cedega do it's thing and DID NOT mess with it's installation so that there is a .cedega directory in your home directory.
6) Purchase, download and run Ostfront.

It should work just fine. You will most likely have fairly low FPS using the default DirectX renderer. I haven't had time to fuss with various settings. I find it's easiest to make changes by hand-editing the RedOrchestra.ini file in ~/.cedega/Steam/c_drive/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/red orchestra/System directory. You don't have to stop/start Steam of course for these changes to take effect, just stop/start Red Orchestra. I get a constant 30-40 FPS on a 32-player server using the OpenGL renderer. Of course using OpenGL means that you have the normal screwy looking menus, no motion blur and no HDR, but I haven't found that to be a problem yet. At this point just getting to play the game is enough for me.

Please respond with various setting tweaks that you've tried and the results.

EDIT: A couple changes to make in your RedOrchestra.ini file
1) Uncomment "RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice" and comment out "RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice"
2) In the section [WinDrv.WindowsClient]:
StartupFullscreen=False
3) In the section [WinDrv.WindowsClient]:
WindowedViewportX=1280
WindowedViewportY=1024
Set these to something less than your current resolution (mine is 1600x1200, hence 1280x1024)

Moderators: Maybe someone should split this post to it's own topic and sticky it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hiho..

Holy sh*t... theres me being afk for a few hours and then this... :D

Awesome work, Case!

Just tried it, works with cedega 4.3 here, havent tried cvswine, yet. FPS are pretty low with D3D render on, fullscreen and settings on medium, havent tried with OpenGL, so far.

Specs:
2800+ Barton
512mb ram
nvidia mx440
Gentoo with 2.6.16 kernel and e17 windowmanager

Wth happened with the map loading times... they are really FAST, now! :D Are all the game files extracted from the .gcf files, now?

Well, i will try this more intense tomorrow, all i have to say is:
Good move Valve/ TWI back from the SteamDRV filesystem driver, seems like performance and quality finally suceeds :).

*edit, screenie*

*edit*

greetz,
gitano

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have solved my low FPS problem by manually editing the .ini file:

[Engine.Engine]
DetectedVideoMemory=256 <------------ this was set to something like 16. My card has 256mb memory.

This upped the FPS from 20 ish to 30-60 depeding on the map / textures etc.

Also make sure you make the changes highlighted above by Case.

The only problem we are having now is that using OpenGL, we can't seem to make the game run in fullscreen. Selecting this in the configuration, causes a crash. Running D3D9 however allows resizing ok but only renders at 15-20 FPS.

EDIT: I'm also seeing some weird effects in the game menus (with OpenGL). Here are the screenies:

resized_snap1.jpg

resized_snap3.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0