• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sniper reloading POLL

Sniper reloading POLL

• Yes, snipers should be able to reload one round at a time

Votes: 57 80.3%
  • No, the system is fine now

Votes: 14 19.7%

• Total voters

Tak

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2006
East Coast, USA
This is a follow up to the sniper-reload thread below. This is just for us as a community (and hopefully the devs too) to get a quick, at-a-glance look whether or not this is something that the players want to see introduced down the line (by no means is it urgent, given that the current system, well, works :p)

Do you wish to see snipers be able to reload one bullet at a time?

One keypress= one reload

Hold key= reload until the reload-button is released

I'm aware there is much more important stuff to do, hence the 'just to get an idea because the current system works' part ;)

However, this is just meant to be a poll for the above stated option, and would like to keep it free of too much big discussion, unless the mods see it fit to merge the current sniper-reload threads.

Upvote 0
I would get sick of that animation so quick.

I'm happy with the way it is now. If I feel if I have enough time to reload one round, might as well top it off with one round in the chamber. Or do we get the extra one in the chamber???? If we don't, I want to be able to top off the ammo count with one in the chamber.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The_Cook said:
I'm happy with the way it is now. If I feel if I have enough time to reload one round, might as well top it off with one round in the chamber. Or do we get the extra one in the chamber???? If we don't, I want to be able to top off the ammo count with one in the chamber.
Doesn't work that way with Mauser type bolties; you can't just fill up the magazine, stick a cartridge in the chamber, and push down the top round in magazine while closing the bolt. Rather, you can, but it's bad for the extractor; you can do it "every now and then" (when something downright weird happens and there's a round still in the chamber somehow and the bolt's open), but it's not a good idea.

As for the Mosin, I don't know that you can even fit five rounds in the magazine under a closed bolt. On Mauser type rifles, sometimes you can, sometimes you can't (individual rifle-to-rifle quirks).

Upvote 0
OK, I'll try to un-lingo that.

The bolties (bolt-action rifles) in game are standard 98 Mauser and Mosin type rifles.

Both of these are designed so that, while the bolt is moving forward and feeding a new cartridge (aka "round"), the rim of that cartridge actually slides up under the extractor (on a Mauser, that claw-looking thing on the side of the bolt) and is held in place. The extractors are NOT designed to just click over the rim of a cartridge which is already in the chamber. This is called controlled feed.

Shoving the bolt home on a chambered round really stresses the extractor, and will eventually cause the extractor to break. This is a very bad thing. The Mosin bolt design might be more tolerant (it was designed for use by poorly-trained peasants, after all), but it's still not something you're supposed to do.

On to the subject of topping off: on most modern detachable magazine-fed weapons, "topping off" (also known as a tactical reload) involves chambering a round and then filling the magazine to capacity. For example, an AR goes from 30 rounds (29 in magazine + 1 in chamber) to 31 rounds after a tactical reload. On a Mauser or Mosin, you load up five rounds from a stripper clip (filling the magazine to capacity), and then closing the bolt takes that fifth (top) round and chambers it.

To "top off" (as in get 5 + 1), you would have to actually load five rounds into the magazine (like normal), then press those rounds down and directly chamber a sixth. On many/most rifles, internal clearances are such that you can't actually push the top round in the magazine down far enough to close the bolt anyway; even if you can, chambering the sixth round will be either very difficult (you would have to remove the bolt, slip the cartridge rim in place on the boltface, and then reinsert and close the bolt while holding down the fifth round in the magazine; the obvious problem here is that your finger will be in the path of the cartridge on the bolt) or impossible (you can't close the bolt on top of the full magazine anyway).

Thusly, "topping off" for 5+1 loading on the bolt-actions currently in game is impossible.

Even on a bunch of "push" feed rifle designs (like, say, the Remington 700, which is a very popular platform for modern sniper rifles), the magazines are dimensioned such that you can't actually push loaded rounds down far enough to close the bolt on top of "full" magazines. The Remington page lists the .30-06 version of the 700 as having a four-round magazine—you can in fact fit a fifth round in the magazine with the bolt open, but closing the bolt will chamber that round. I think Savage does the same thing with their rifle spec sheets.

Upvote 0
{2.SS}Ehrler said:
But we should have the ability to clear the magazine manually without having to shoot of the remaining rounds tough... It feels kinda silly sneaking up on some russians, and then realising I have only one or two rounds left in my kar98, I have to fire off a round or two to be able to reload. Not very stealthy now is it? :)

This is exactly what I was thinking.

You should be able to cycle the bolt to "unload" thost last 1 or 2 rounds. You shouldn't have to fire the rounds in order to unload them. Also its completely possible with a real gun.

Upvote 0