• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Nades - what am I missing?

derspiess

Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
Okay, I've figured out a few things about this game-- I can get a few kills with bolt action rifles, I'm getting better with SMGs. I'm even doing okay with tanks.

What I'm struggling with are grenades. I've figured out that if you run forward while throwing, the grenade will go farther, but I can't aim the damn things to save my life (in fact, all too often I end up taking my own life :rolleyes: ). I see guys throwing them from a mile away, through a window, & landing them right in front of me with pinpoint accuracy (and I'm usually prone when that happens so it's impossible to get up & get away). Yet I'm doing well if I just avoid killing myself or someone on my team.

I have searched the forum for tips but have only found the trick of throwing while running. Anyone have any other advice, smartass or otherwise?

I'd definitely benefit from having a weapons training map of some sort, which IMO is something the game is sorely lacking, particularly for someone like me who isn't very experienced with FPS games on pc. The learning curve is much, *much* longer when you're just going online & getting repeatedly blown away 5 seconds after you spawn than if you had a way to train. I know "practice" with bots is an alternative, but there should be an actual practice map IMO.

For the most part, aim higher than your intended target and make sure there isnt a chance that the grenade will get hung on something. Currently grenades have a problem going through 70% of windows you find in game. So you're better off just using them on a basic level, untill you get it down.

You can also fire up a practice game with bots and type allammo in the console and you will be given 99 grenades. Just don't die, because you'll drop all 99 of your grenades and freeze up the game. You can activate invincibility by typing god in the console I think.

Upvote 0
derspiess said:
I'd definitely benefit from having a weapons training map of some sort, which IMO is something the game is sorely lacking, particularly for someone like me who isn't very experienced with FPS games on pc. The learning curve is much, *much* longer when you're just going online & getting repeatedly blown away 5 seconds after you spawn than if you had a way to train. I know "practice" with bots is an alternative, but there should be an actual practice map IMO.

Now that would be cool, a range for all the differnt weapons at differnt ranges, meybe even a tank range? With diffen't tanks vs empty tank targets to practice on hitting the front/side/rear ect.

Oh and about grenades, I think it's just something you pick up, there is no real way to learn 'to be more accurate'.

Upvote 0
nodachi said:
Now that would be cool, a range for all the differnt weapons at differnt ranges, meybe even a tank range? With diffen't tanks vs empty tank targets to practice on hitting the front/side/rear ect.

Oh and about grenades, I think it's just something you pick up, there is no real way to learn 'to be more accurate'.

Someone actually made a firing range map for the mod, but I don't know his plans for porting it over to Osfront.

Upvote 0
anybody experienced this?

anybody experienced this?

Teapot said:
Someone actually made a firing range map for the mod, but I don't know his plans for porting it over to Osfront.

Sometimes the grenade explodes mysteriously in your hand, eventhough you clearly see your grenade fly towards the enemy. And after you die you still have a grenade liyng beside you!??? Mysterious third grenade maybe?!??

Upvote 0
Venom said:
Sometimes the grenade explodes mysteriously in your hand, eventhough you clearly see your grenade fly towards the enemy. And after you die you still have a grenade liyng beside you!??? Mysterious third grenade maybe?!??
Sounds like a wee bit of lag to me.

I haven't quite got the hang of 'nades yet again either. I wasn't bad with them in the mod (even if they were more like ICBMs), but I'd suggest only using them in largeish open areas until you can get them to go where you want almost every time. Also bare in mind that (I don't think) they normally kill people of the other side of sandbags and walls, so you've got to get them to land in just the right place for them to work.

Upvote 0
Venom said:

I was straight up hoping that that only ever happened to me, and that the one time it did, it would be the only time. Guess I better learn to live with disappointment.

Upvote 0
Practice... lots of it.

at first coming from the mod I found the Ost nades rather hard to use, but like anything you'll get the hang of it.

...and dont listen to any nade detractors. You'll hear all kinds of whiny comments like 'nade spam' and other such negatively slanting terms... but my advice is to use them when you feel you need to. They just dont like being blown up by nades is all.

The most important thing to learn aside from how to be effective with your own nades, is the prediction of when the enemy is going to use his. It sounds like a tough prospect, but you'll see what I mean after about a thousand matches ...you'll be able to 'feel' the nade coming!

Upvote 0
There are problems with the way grenades work in this game. In fact, "completely fux0red" comes to mind as a description...

The fuses burn faster in your hand than in the air or on the ground.

Some grenades barely injure one person right next to them, but completely obliterate another through a doorway 30 feet away.

They don't go through windows as they should. Even if you break the window first, and stand right next to it, they still bounce back at you 90% of the time.

Also, there are apparently invisible grenade-proof barriers at various places which cause your grenade to simply bounce back at you, even if there is no visible object there. Yes, this has happened to me - more than once.

And finally, sometimes when you get out a grenade and try to throw it, you can't. It just sticks in your hand and you can't do anything but switch to another weapon and back again... just in time to be blown to bits by your enemy's nade.

Yeah, there is some work to be done.

Upvote 0
lATENT_c said:
They don't go through windows as they should. Even if you break the window first, and stand right next to it, they still bounce back at you 90% of the time.

And finally, sometimes when you get out a grenade and try to throw it, you can't. It just sticks in your hand and you can't do anything but switch to another weapon and back again... just in time to be blown to bits by your enemy's nade.

Yeah, there is some work to be done.
I had a problem with windows/gaps/doorways also. In my case using the "secondary fire" helped a lot. Using this you will "toss" the nade, it goes for a shorter distance, but works miracles with windows and such. It is also a great way to serve a potatosmasher to that unlucky soviet soldier lying on the another side of a sandbag.. ;)

On that second quote I agree, hope they fix this, I have died a lot because of this..

Upvote 0
Teapot said:
This should happen more, not every grenade in real life was 100% lethal within its 360% blast radius.

Sure, but when you see a nade land between your avatar and an enemy who is only 10 feet away. One of you dies the other is unharmed. Who knows. I'm just thinking its a server/client error. My best guess is the server believes the nade to have landed somewhere different then the client side is displaying the sprite of the nade.

Upvote 0