• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design RO-SnowyForest

Yes!

We played this 4 or 5 times yesterday, and it's a very cool map
anjhatsoff2nd.gif

A couple of minor suggestions from me, if you are open to them...

The terrain and forest are well done. The sounds really add to the atmosphere, good job on that. However this map is really hard for the Axis players, which is a good thing dont get me wrong (I love the challenge!), but the Germs could use maybe a rock here and there, not too many. Or maybe just a touch of foliage in spots, again not too much. Just a couple of strategic spots to move in between.

After we capped the first objective, a Russian targetted our spawn with arty, and it was like 3 minutes of spawning and immediately dieing, so maybe you could take that into account for the Axis forward spawns. Especially the first forward spawn.

One more thing.... the wire at the beginning is a great idea, except you cant shoot through it from the Axis side (not sure if you can from the Russian side, I assume not). Maybe you could work with the properties of the 'wire' so that it will allow bullets through.

Other than that I think it's a fantastic map, well done! This one and Hill are the two best customs so far, IMO. So big thumbs up man!
thumbsup9hv.gif

(oh, btw... we have been calling this 'Snowy Map' ...I think thats the official community name for it now lol :D )

Upvote 0
This map is very awesome, and very reminiscent of the movie Stalingrad, but then again, it reminds me of Breaking Point in Band of Brothers when you're trying to take cover in foxholes when german artillery is falling on you. (especially when someone gets their leg blown off or a shell hits a crater with two people in it).

Upvote 0
In order to attack the Soviets the germans first have to blow up some Barbed Wire.

When the germans have capped a objetive inside the forest they start spawning there...AND the soviets can put arty exactly at the spot where you spawn..

The Soviets are running up to the front.

Here is me dead on Odessa...Just look at that facial expression!

Upvote 0
I have played your map today, tochiri. I have three comments for you. I hope they will help you to design next betas.

1- It's very cool! I think it has good textures and effects and it is very playable. Congratulations tochiri, is one of the best maps i've ever played in RO :D . Nice work :) .

2- I don't think that snowyforest is a 20mins map. Yes, it requires strategy and patience to win, but 15 mins are enough.

3- The allied radio (I played with Allies only, so I dont know about the Axis radios) is very far, especially in the beginning of the map. Another radio in the middle of the map would help ;) .

Nice work :D

Upvote 0
Planning Time

Planning Time

What would be nice is if the leader halted everyone from moving out of the spawn site and then issued a plan over the microphone. The attacker really needs a plan to win. Must have a support element and an assault element coordinated. Support element must pin enemy down and keep their attention off the assault element low crawling to attack positions. If attackers just spawn and move out on their own and without any supporting fire, they will lose every time in my opinon.

Great map!

Upvote 0
Another thing that needs to change are the spawns and spawn protection. As it is now when defending the first two objectives and the germans cap (from quite far away) their spawn is then moved right in the middle of where the bulk of the soviets are defending, resulting in mass death because of the minefield. Removing the minefield is not an option either as that would just mean it's the germans getting slaughtered instead when they spawn right next to 10 russians in defensive positions.

Another little thing not related to gameplay that I noticed was that the falling snowflakes disappear in the air quite some distance from the ground, which looks silly.

Despite these things and those others have already pointed out (and perhaps a few minor tweaks here and there) this map is great fun. Like mentioned before it does feel like a real battlefield unlike some maps (even official ones) and is a truly spectacular achievement from someone who only just started mapping.

Keep up the good work Tochiri, ganbatte!

Upvote 0
hi,Thank you for download and the comment.
We wish to express our gratitude.:)

Beta 9 version was made hearing your opinion.

1 Arty zone where spawn of axis is protected.
2 Added rock.
3 Added allies radio.
4 Round Time 17min.

Please say again if there is a problem.:)
Thank you everyone!:D

P.S, Reason to have given both armies dynamite.
The purpose of it is Swap Mutator.

Last edited:
Upvote 0