• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

It happens again and again and again

Varsity

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
England
www.steamreview.org
I hate being sharp. To be precise, I hate being sharp when the rest of my team aren't. I hate being the only damn person to be capping the critical objective, and being swamped by players from the other team who aren't as dozy as those on my own. I've noticed it in other games too, particuarly Day of Defeat, which shows where the other players on your team are with depressing honesty. RO is far better than DOD as you might expect, but the problem is still present.

What am I supposed to do here? Follow the bulk of the team around in whatever they are doing in the hope that it might be something more useful than getting kills? Become a ninja and take out the entire other team on my own? Camp? Create scripts to spam the text chat with precise instructions? I could join a clan I suppose, but I'm not a dedicated enough player, and strictly competetive play has little appeal to me.

I guess what this thread is asking, is is there anyone else out there? Who else has the problem of being too tuned in to the battlefield for their own good, and what have you done to get around it?

If asking people nicely 5 times in a row doesn't get any results, then incessant yelling at people to "GET IN THE BLOODY CAPZONE OR ELSE WE CAN'T WIN THE GAME!!" normally works by about the third round, then just hope that those people who have now figured out what they're meant to be doing actually stay for the next map.

Standing in front of people 'defending' our spawn (when we're the attackers!) and jumping up and down occasionally gets your point across. I did that to a commander once on Konigsplatz, he insisted on staying at the monument with his binocs for a whole round and he didn't reply when I asked him to help us capture the points, since the commander actually speeds it up quite significantly, so I stood in front of his binocs for a while. He actually left in the end, didn't even say anything! It dawned on me afterwards that he might not have spoken English, but he should have at least said something.

Upvote 0
Yea its bloody annoying i remember one time on kuakusus where i almost single handly won the map since objectives only got taken when i got into the camp zone and shouted till i got support usually by my third attempt to take an objective. However thankfully there's usually a couple of people on the team who realise the value of the cap zone.

Upvote 0
sometimes, but not always i find my the rest of my noob teammates stuck on a few well entrenched players
and instead of going around them they keep trying to get through, or they hang back and dont advance anymore at all.

removing those entrenched players will often get the game moving forward again atleast for a while.

so get out of your cap zone, shoot those speking enemys, tell your teammates they are dead and ask for backup again.

Upvote 0
Im the only playing right feeling happens to everyone, but most of the cases thats a wrong interpretation of the facts, a variation on the team number of players with in a match can for example rusult in such a feeling, you begin the round with a full team than some players leave and with out you ever realize that, your team had no players enough to go anywhere. And some times its the other Team that is good and you loose.

Upvote 0
Kap said:
Im the only playing right feeling happens to everyone, but most of the cases thats a wrong interpretation of the facts, a variation on the team number of players with in a match can for example rusult in such a feeling, you begin the round with a full team than some players leave and with out you ever realize that, your team had no players enough to go anywhere. And some times its the other Team that is good and you loose.
If that was the case, it would be great! But, I've played Odessa as allies and half my team (literally) was sitting behind the sandbags in and around the spawn, because we were being shot at. The few of us that did try and attack made it into the apartments almost all the time, but couldn't hold them because we were literally outnumbered.

Upvote 0
Maybe the commander should be allowed to shot their own team....

MOVE OR I'LL SHOOT YOU!!!! :D

I get really angry when I see a sniper that has less kills than me, and has no idea how to use the rifle.
Mostly on maps like Odessa, Stalingrad,Leningrad where the sniper can make a difference.

I guess is time to get a faster computer ;)

Upvote 0
I think that the quality of players being different is very good for the game. Not every one in WWII was a Audie Murphy. In fact if every soldier was tremendous then they all would have won the Medal of Honor. So in other words what I am saying is, If you are so damn good, then lead. Quit whining, "I am too good for my dumb team mates." and lead. Lead by example and lead by inspiring your team mates to go forward. ;)

Upvote 0
Because I've only been at this for two nights, I took someone's advice and started out as taking the rifleman class so I don't hog up kits I might not be so hot at using. And since I've gone straight for that, I haven't even been paying that much attention to the other choices. Is there a "commander" class in every map on every team? If so, then I'm not getting nearly the amount of commanding I need. If I got a commander's message to take or defend a certain point, I would do it (or, you know, try). I'm not saying I never see a commander's msg, but more often than not, I am not "under orders" and have to figure it out on my own. Even when something is obvious, ppl need prodding.

I don't know the name of the map, but there's one where the Germans have to capture 4 or 5 points, two of them outdoors...one of the indoor cap zones is called "garage" so you guys prolly know which one I mean. I played this two nights ago on the German side. We capped the point outside closest to the spawn fairly quickly, then afterward, were completely pinned outside the garage. They were so well hidden, there was no way to pick them off and move in. It readily occurred to me that the only way to have any hope of winning the map was to hold my breath, hurl my nades in the enemy's general direction, and haul it to the garage door. I made it inside 1/3, 1/4 runs. There would indeed be a couple of Rooskies waiting for me inside however, so it wouldn't last long. And yes, what struck me is that most of my teammates were invariably hold up outside, taking pot shots at sniper's muzzle flashes. I thought, if we could rush the place all at once plenty would make it, and we might even get the garage and thereby change the front lines from the hell hole outside.

That's a familiar story? It seems to me what would work, a simple thing as up in the left hand corner of my screen it said "Commander has set current objective: GET IN THE GARAGE." I bet more ppl would have made an effort. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how it would hurt. Otoh, it seems like I've actually got msgs like this on occasion? Am I daydreaming? Is the real issue that someone just needs to be a responsible commander every map?

Upvote 0
MrBunsy said:
Standing in front of people 'defending' our spawn (when we're the attackers!) and jumping up and down occasionally gets your point across. I did that to a commander once on Konigsplatz, he insisted on staying at the monument with his binocs for a whole round and he didn't reply when I asked him to help us capture the points, since the commander actually speeds it up quite significantly, so I stood in front of his binocs for a while. He actually left in the end, didn't even say anything! It dawned on me afterwards that he might not have spoken English, but he should have at least said something.

You just about made me snort coffee through my nose. :D

Upvote 0
Mopap said:
Because I've only been at this for two nights, I took someone's advice and started out as taking the rifleman class so I don't hog up kits I might not be so hot at using.
I almost always choose rifleman whether there are other slots open or not. I just like playing that way. The advice you got was good. As a rifleman you can often cover your teammates as they advance on objectives. You can watch what they do and how they do it.

Mopap said:
That's a familiar story? It seems to me what would work, a simple thing as up in the left hand corner of my screen it said "Commander has set current objective: GET IN THE GARAGE." I bet more ppl would have made an effort. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how it would hurt. Otoh, it seems like I've actually got msgs like this on occasion? Am I daydreaming? Is the real issue that someone just needs to be a responsible commander every map?
The commander can set rally points that cause a message to pop up to alert you. They can also just type their commands. Sometimes I have to check who the commander is before following any old command that pops up in text. I don't mind freelancing a little or helping someone else out but I don't want to go against my real commander's orders. Whether the commander is any good or not I'll follow their orders if I can. If they have a bad plan they should be able to figure it out when their squad gets massacred.:D And you're right, there should be a responsible commander on every map, even if they're not in the commander slot. The map you're talking about is KrasniOktyabr (spelling?). That's one map that definitely needs coordination and the commander should be the person coordinating.

Upvote 0
@Varsity - As time goes by you may find more and more people getting the hang of this game. In the meantime, you could always join or create an informal clan of like-minded players just looking to get the most fun out of this game by playing it the way it was meant to be played - as a team. You don't need your own server, just use the many that are already out there. Even "hard-core" clans are likely to be happy to scrim against you. They play the game to have fun just like you. I've found that this adds to the RO experience immensely.

@Mopap - Yours is one of the most well thought out and refreshing posts I've read on these boards lately. With that attitude, I'm sure you'll find a lot to enjoy about RO over many many more days. As far as the commander position is concerned, consider my advice about joining an informal clan. You'd be amazed to find out that many players think the same way as you. You can form up a little chain of command amongst a group and have fun working as a team.

VOIP (doesn't have to be fancy TeamSpeak or Ventrillo, in-game works fine) is helpful for getting a group of public players just popping in and out of various servers to get more out of the experience. You don't need a fancy headset. Just a cheap computer mic and a set of earbuds from the dollar store should do nicely.

Right now RO's community is an odd mix of veterans who've been enjoying the mod for years and the new (though not n00b) blood who are just getting the hang of all the controls. I hope you keep playing and I look forward to meeting you on the battlefield!

Upvote 0
I don't know that you can dump on your teammates like that. A lot of people here are probably Battlefield Veterans who are used to seeing tags above everyone's heads and it takes a little adjustment. This game also has a steeper learning curve when compared to others as well. I find stopping to look at your objective map only gets you killed. Since I'm new to the game, I tend to follow the sheep in front of me and hope for the best.

Upvote 0
Varsity said:
Who else has the problem of being too tuned in to the battlefield for their own good, and what have you done to get around it?

I constantly yell into the VOIP... 'GET YOUR BODY IN THE CAPZONE! WE NEED MORE PEOPLE IN THE CAPZONE!'

...in hopes of annoying my comrades into the objective area.

'ugh FINE! I'll get in the capzone if you just STFU!' :D

lmao, some people need constant coaching or their minds start to wander if they havent made a kill in 40 seconds.. they begin to dilly-dally around looking for kills, so you need to constantly remind them of where they need to be.

(one more point -- If you're good enough to know now that you should always have a capzone bar in your screen... that doesnt mean when you get there that you have to expose yourself to fire by insisting on killing an enemy.... depending on the situation, especially if in the act of capping, just plain hiding while being in the capzone is perfectly acceptable... dont worry about your kills. It may sound crazy, but you have the advantage if you are capping and hiding, because the enemy has to come out into the open to find you and remove you from the capzone, so you actually have the upper hand.)

Upvote 0
REZ said:
(one more point -- If you're good enough to know now that you should always have a capzone bar in your screen... that doesnt mean when you get there that you have to expose yourself to fire by insisting on killing an enemy.... depending on the situation, especially if in the act of capping, just plain hiding while being in the capzone is perfectly acceptable... dont worry about your kills. It may sound crazy, but you have the advantage if you are capping and hiding, because the enemy has to come out into the open to find you and remove you from the capzone, so you actually have the upper hand.)
I have a similar technique - normally to hide somewhere and wait till some more people enter the capzone and either start to cap or kill off the enemy. If no-one comes then I try my best to clear them out by myself, but I'm not normally very successful.

Upvote 0