• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Crosses / Stars instead of deathmach-style kill confirmations

Mr.Russian

Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2006
It would be nice to have a client option for displaying / not displaying kill confirmations. And it would be nice to have more than On/Off switch.

IMHO adding crosses / stars in the top right corner for each kill would be very stylish.
rsjhnson.jpg

Much smaller symbols for each hit would be good too.
Just my 2 cents.

The_Countess said:
realistic or not its still a game, and people like to see how well they did, and more importantly how well they did compared to the rest.
They did great if their team won the map. Or if they worked together as a team. How about that?

Individual scores are just arcade and lead to more bad things than good. If scores were removed completely, maybe there would be less lone wolf players. I'd rather have a team working together and lose a round than 12 guys doing their thing and win.

Upvote 0
Mr.Russian said:
It would be nice to have a client option for displaying / not displaying kill confirmations.

That's an option already, I have played on servers where you can't see whether your bullet hit or not. Very tense, adds that extra uncertainty when you don't know if that german is dead or if he just went prone... and BAM he shoots you when you go to check. Fun fun. Wish more servers had that, only seen one so far.

Upvote 0
Mr.Russian said:
But seriously, how many enemies can you get in RO before getting killed?

The only way i know this is cause i played that round on BFE, i normally don't analyse it, but after 4 rounds on Nabrushka-II i had 140 Points total, and i just capped Factory once per Round. so thats about 100 Kill Points (+ TK points, - Triple points for killing the enemy Commander). So i guess about 80 Kills ~ 20 per Round.

Upvote 0
I was talking about confirmed kills. Scoreboard and capping points is a different story.

BTW there were ranks and medals, which are more appropriate then scores. Personaly I would grant players an ability to choose leader roles only after they earned a certain rank by capping / holding position, or by demonstrating advanced tactic / sharpshooter skills. Has anybody here ever played Firearms Mod?

Damn... I've chosen a wrong carrier pass. Why I am not a game developer :(:)?

Upvote 0
Nifel said:
That's an option already, I have played on servers where you can't see whether your bullet hit or not. Very tense, adds that extra uncertainty when you don't know if that german is dead or if he just went prone... and BAM he shoots you when you go to check. Fun fun. Wish more servers had that, only seen one so far.

The DBDUK clan server has death messages off, as well as a black screen on death. Feel free to drop in, we're a friendly bunch. :)

Upvote 0
The servers without kill confirmations are far superior, certainly for realism, but also for gameplay, in my opinion. I think people behave more realistically with the death messages off, especially in regards to long range rifle fire and grenades. (Knowing you killed that partially obscured guy at 400m? Knowing the room is clear before you enter? come on...)

However, I'll admit that there is a certain satisfaction to seeing a whole string of kills following a well-placed arty strike, but once again, this just motivates people to use the artillery as some sort of uber sniper rifle for their own sport and enjoyment, rather than targeting artillery to deny areas to the enemy and support the team.

Anyways, there are nice death animations and fairly realistic audio feedback that let you know your success realistically under most circumstances.

Upvote 0
Shepherd said:
They did great if their team won the map. Or if they worked together as a team. How about that?

Individual scores are just arcade and lead to more bad things than good. If scores were removed completely, maybe there would be less lone wolf players. I'd rather have a team working together and lose a round than 12 guys doing their thing and win.

yeah will never get a team working group unless they know each other or even better in the same clan. I am a lone wolf, sorry to say. Though i will follow people.

Upvote 0