• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Weapons Discussion (Merged)

Since Strother is content on bumping this...

Bump.

Is it me or is this forum starting to be a very unfriendly place.

Seems whenever somebody is critical of something or wants to put in their own suggestion there are some A types that come out of the woodwork and are on you like white on rice.

Anyway, Gunwing I think that is an excellent idea. Now I must wait for the inevitable flame fest to follow because I agreed with you LOL.

Upvote 0
GonzoX said:
Since Strother is content on bumping this...

Bump.

Is it me or is this forum starting to be a very unfriendly place.

Seems whenever somebody is critical of something or wants to put in their own suggestion there are some A types that come out of the woodwork and are on you like white on rice.

Anyway, Gunwing I think that is an excellent idea. Now I must wait for the inevitable flame fest to follow because I agreed with you LOL.

istockphoto_233005_flames.jpg

I would liek to see a AK 47!

Upvote 0
TW give us flamethrowers,

Can't do it with this engine, well MAYBE but the only thing catching on fire would be your computer. Just wait for the UE 3.0, I saw a video of the flame throwers they have for that...wow. The guy shot some flame under a raised porch that someone was hiding under and it creeped underneath realistically and killed the guy, and the best thing was the flames didn't magically pop through the porch, instead the flame shot out of the open sides.

Upvote 0
I don't see why you couldn't have an artillery class. Give them a carbine and/or a pistol. Or maybe an SMG with one or two clips. I don't know what the artillery used, but something like that'd make sense. It's just a shame to see these cannons sitting about which would be extremely useful if positioned properly and actually able to be manned.

Upvote 0
New Weapons Discussion (Merged)

Hello, Isaak Johnson here.

Before I start I want to mension that I have searched and found multiple topics that do mension the Nagant Revolver. I was planning on posting in one of those topics but after I had compiled my information I felt it would be more conveniant to everyone if I posted my own individual topic.

Ever since the mod version of RO I've been wondering where the Russian Nagant Revolver was, this revolver was an important part of WW2 history and I think that when some other things are handled it should be included in the line of of excelent weaponary avaiable to the troops of RO.

Firstly I will provide you with some information on the company.

Baikal/Izhevsky
Mekhanichesky Zavod

The Russian state arsenal of Izhevsk was founded in 1807 as an ammunition factory. The Izhevsky Mekhanichesky Zavod arms factory dates from 1885. The government at the time commissioned arms factories in Tula, Izhevsk and Sestroretsk to manufacture civilian weapons as well as military weapons. The Revolution in 1917 was a turbulent time for the arms manufacturers. The Red Army demanded the stocks of weapons from the Russian Tsarist army, but there was a great shortage of weapons and ammunition. During the period of 1880 to 1920, the arms factories in Izhevsk produced altogether almost 1,300,000 rifles, 15,000 machine guns and 175,000 Nagant revolvers. In addition, they made millions of cartrages of different calibers for these weapons. During the Second World War the production capacity was devoted to military equipment. In 1949, the Izhevsky Makhanichasky Zavod factory again started to make sports guns and shotguns.

(After that the company bacame very successful and devoted its lineup of firearms and cartrages to the civilian market aimed mostly at hunting and competition shooting.)

This article was copied from "The Complete Encyclopedia Of Pistols And Revolvers" by A.E. Hartink, Page 32

Next I will give the history and description of the Nagant Revolver

Nagant Revolver Model 1895

This revolver was designed by the Belgian designer, Nagant. The first batch of revolvers made for the Russian army was manufactured in Liege in 1895. Subsequently, production was taken over by different Russian state factories in 1896 to approximately 1933. The weapon has a special gas sealing systen. When the hammer is cocked, the cylinder moves forwards against the back of the barrel. The cartrages are 1.7 mm (0.067 in), longer than the cylinder and protrude slightly at the front. This means that the front of the cartrage slides in the transitional cone of the barrel. This system results in a good gas seal, so that the space between the cylinder and the barrel is virtually entirely sealed. As the cylinder moves forwards before firing, the hammer has an extra long firing pin so that it can still easily reach the cartridges. Originally, soldiers were equipped with a Nagant revolver in single-action. The double-action version was issued to officers. This weapon was used untill after the Second World war. The 7-shot Nagant revolver has a 7.62 mm Nagant caliber. The total length is 235 mm (9 1/4 in), the barrel length is 114 mm (4 1/2 in) and the weapon weighs 770 g (27 1/4 oz). For safety, the hammer is blocked when the loading port is open.

This article was copied from "The Complete Encyclopedia Of Pistols And Revolvers" by A.E. Hartink, Page 32

Single-action refers to the need for the hammer to be cocked before firing each shot. Double-action refers to the fact that the trigger will cock the weapon by itself before firing.

I have also put some thought into some of the game aspects of the Nagant Revolver in order to make it more useful than the Tokarev in certain aspects so that its creation will not be in vain. At the moment the Tokarev pistol has a larger ammo capasity of eight rounds and is faster to reload with its magazine-feed system. Although in reality the damage that both pistols cause and their effective accuracy and ranges were similar, it would not allow much room for the Nagant Revolver to have much success in RO besides its notification as a pistol issued to common soldiers. Firstly, most revolvers are noted for their ability to pull off more powerful and more accurate shots than blow-back pistols of the same caliber, this is because of the blow-back system uses some of the bullets energy to push back the slide to load the next round instead of putting that energy into the round itself, thus the bullet loses accuracy and power. Because a revolver doesn't use any of the bullets energy to operate any parts of the weapon that energy forces the round out of the barrel faster, thus increasing its range, accuracy and hitting power. It's realoding was time consuming but simple, when the operator was ready to reload he would flip open the revolver or slide out the cylinder, most revolvers of the time and today utilize a star-shaped wedge on a spring in order to lift unused cartrages and eject spent cartrages from the rotating cylinder, then the operator would replace the ejected casings, close the revolver and be ready to fire again. This means that this weapon in RO would have to be slightly more accurace, powerful, and have a longer range than the Tokarev at the cost of a longer relaoding time and longer re-fire rate. It would also have to employ a realoding animation that repeated for each individual round in the revolver and would allow for the operator to stop reloading halfway and allow for the animation to load rounds in the empty chambers while leaving the unused rounds clearly visible for the player to see. Also the operator can keep pulling the trigger even after all 7 shots have been used as the mechanism doesn't rely on the existance of any cartrages to operate.

I belive that I have said everything that can be said at the moment, please take my suggestion for the addition of the Nagant Revolver to the RO arsenal seriously. I also remind everyone that it is only a suggestion and is not ment to cause any arguments or confrontations in any way.

I also understand the fact that Triggersoft may not want to or may not be able to include my suggestion due to time, energy, monitary, or game engine constraints. I understand fully and I also encourage the completion of other, more important projects and topics before consideration is passed on this suggestion.

Thank you for your time and I hope that someday I might play RO and see the Nagant there on the list.

Have a great day and Happy Gaming!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It was in the arsenal for the RO mod. Given that the MP41 is returning in this new patch, and the team's commitment to modelling as many Ostfront weapons as plausible, it's a possibility that we'll see the Nagant revolver. There's many more things on the list to take care of, but it would be a very, very Russian addition.

I will say, though, have you ever used one in combat? In the mod version, I remember the reloading animation taking (rightfully so) 30 seconds or so, since the way the revolver is designed it only allows one round to be unloaded and loaded at a time.

So, basically, you'd better use those 7 shots very wisely. Otherwise, you'd be better off picking up a handy rock. :)

Heh, it'd be cool if we'd get a silenced version too. Gotta love the gas seal. :cool:

Upvote 0
Thank you, I really appreciate that you like my suggestion so much.

Also I dont believe there were any silenced versions of the Nagant revolver, the gas seal was to force the cartrages own explosion into the round, if there wasn't a proper gas seal most of the explosion from the gunpower in the shell would escape instead of pushing the bullet at your friendly neighborhood foe.

Upvote 0
I was able to use the revolver exactly ONCE in all my days of playing the MOD. It was available on the map with the train tracks and trenches in between the Axis and Allied spawn (can't remember the name). I had it as the LMG guy. Not sure if the Commander got one or not.

I got a couple of kills with it (for the novelty), but it was incredibly difficult to use. And the reload took so long I found myself laughing out loud! :D

Still, I would like to see it added to the game. That's because I'd like to see ALL WWII weapons added to the game eventually.

Upvote 0
I'll have to take a second look in my version of the mod and see what its like, if its really as bad for reloading as you say then I suggest the Dev's either give it some better high points such as accuracy and power to make up for the loss in reload time or rework its reload time and other parts of the weapon. We need to have both playability and realism to make this game work the best.

I checked it out on the only map I could find that fit your description and I choose the MG gunner, but I did not find the Nagant Revolver in the mod, do you have any more info on its location in the mod, maybe a console command to give it to me?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can edit it into the maps, just make a duplicate of any map, and edit the classes (i seem to recall that stuff is in level info) so they all get a Nagant M95.

Alternatively, and i dont know if this will work, you can try thease two console commands:

Summon ROweapons.ROm1895base

or

Summon ROweapons.ROm1895pickup

Upvote 0
Ok, I went and made myself a Hedgehog2 with the Nagant as a second choice for each pistol toting class and got a good look at the Nagant Revolver in the Mod version of RO.

Firstly it was too large. . .way to large, I have normal sized hands and when I held one at a gun show recently my hand was not dwarfed by the sheer size of the handle. Also the safety ring around the trigger could have fit four fingers when its only suspost to have one finger. . . to shoot with.

Second, the color was all wrong, the Nagant Revolver was noted for the blackened metal and the red or yellowish finish in the handle.

Third, I read in the mod portion of the forums that they didn't have time to complete animations on it and I noticed imedately when the cylinder didn't rotate in the reloading sequence.

I also believe that the reloading sequence could be done a different way, first the shooter should eject all the spent casings quickly by rotating the cylinder and ejecting them one by one. Then the shooter would take seven rounds from his bag, or a handful, and then rotate the cylinder and loading each shot from his hand. Also he should hold the revolver in his left hand when reloading because he can load faster when inserting shell with his right hand, as most people are right-handed.

But I also understand that the Nagant Revolver in the mod was still in beta and so I understand why it wasn't as nice looking or fine tuned as the rest of the RO mod arsenal.

In short, it works and it is still cool and I will be sure to use it when playing the mod, but I believe that a new version should be included.

Upvote 0