• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

u need to be able to use the stationary things

CaptRanger said:
You won't be able to get into a tank unless the crew is trying to get out. They have very secure locks on the inside.

AT gun usage has been discussed on here before. I'll save you the time in searching for those discussions by telling you that there isn't much support for their use. This is because they weren't historically operated by a single person, but rather a large crew.
Well so were tanks but we dont see that happening. It should just operate like a motionless tank. Commander + Gunner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok I have an idea to throw at you guys about controlling stationary weapons such as mortars and those heavy artillery guns.

I also voice my opinion that mounted MGs Should be included in the game, I feel safe saything that there might have been a few that were bolted down or somthing. (But I admit that I am not sure.)

Now with mounted weaponary, first there would have to be a specific class for it, it could be the tank class so they have more uses on maps with few tanks, or a new class would be fine. I have a few different ways that stationary cnnons could be used.

1.) Thay are totally controlled by bots and those bots would be ties to the gun and operate it as long as they were alive, they could be killed like any other player, could get off to defend themselves against infantry or run. Most likely they would fire at random or specific targets such as tanks and vehicles, and maybe they could either replace off map artillery or at least combine with it when a commander call in artillery with a radio.

2.) A player gets on the gun and a couple bots run out of the trench (or appear magically) to simulate a full crew while the player in fact actually controls the whole gun by himself.

3.) The idea that was allready stated where stationary artillery works like a tank that cant move, a commander and a gunner. The Commander would have a larger field of view and could spot targets, he could also use his hand-held weapon while still in position in order to quickly defend the crew in case of attack without having to get out. The gunner would reload and fire the cannon. Also, in this suggestion it would be possible for a player to control the cannon alone, thise could be discourages by giving a reload time bonus for having a commander to help the gunner load those heavy rounds faster, thus making the commander more useful even if he isn't spotting for targets.

I want to remind you that these are just ideas that I am throwing out, I do admit they are probably flawed but thats why I tell them to you all. I hope you like them and maybe one might be used.

Thank you for your time.

Upvote 0
CaptRanger said:
AT gun usage has been discussed on here before. I'll save you the time in searching for those discussions by telling you that there isn't much support for their use. This is because they weren't historically operated by a single person, but rather a large crew.

Bull****!!!!!!! If AT gun is already in the position you can operate it alone. Presence of two people should just make reload times faster.

:eek: Unbelievable! Some people just want to run around with freaking FG-42s and other stupid piff-puffs. :mad: You don't defend your Motherland like that! WW2 was about holding your ground, milksuckers :mad:

Upvote 0
Mr.Russian said:
Bull****!!!!!!! If AT gun is already in the position you can operate it alone. Presence of two people should just make reload times faster.

:eek: Unbelievable! Some people just want to run around with freaking FG-42s and other stupid piff-puffs. :mad: You don't defend your Motherland like that! WW2 was about holding your ground, milksuckers :mad:

LOLOLOL!

Anywayz, I want a lota things that is not possible with RO, thats why I wait for 1944 D-Day.

Upvote 0
It might actually help create a more stable front on some maps, with coherent offensive actions, instead of having a constant shifting mess.

You will find that smaller actions (the size of RO battles) were typically shifting messes. One side was trying to break through here, then there, then a couple tanks break through there. But like I said before the game isn't ready for AT guns. There is bunches of stuff that kills tanks now, you just gotta learn how to use it properly. But not only that, but the maps are too small which would only allow at most 3 AT guns, and their implementation would be difficult for it to be realistic.

Upvote 0
CaptRanger said:
You won't be able to get into a tank unless the crew is trying to get out. They have very secure locks on the inside.

I wanted to address this statement, because it gets said alot in some of the forums that I visit (this one and WWII Online).

I've seen a few interviews from tankers that saw action in WWII, and in EVERY SINGLE case, the tank commander was deathly afraid of locking their cupula hatches. For one, they nearly always kept them open because it was the ONLY way to have a good idea what was going on. Even if they themselves were ducked down in the tank to avoid fire, they hatch stayed open so that they could hear what was going on around them, and pop their heads up if need be.

Secondly, locking their hatches meant that nobody could rescue them if their tank got hit and disabled, and they were incapacitated, which occurred quite often I'm sure.

Of course, the difference there is that tanks in ACTUAL WWII very rarely (if ever) found themselves in the company of enemy infantry without friendly infantry in the area, covering their butts. So the odds were extremely small that an enemy soldier would climb up on the tank and survive long enough to huck a grenade into the hatch.

Then again, Shermans in the Pacific started putting metal cages/baskets over their hatches to prevent the Japanese soldiers from doing just that. It seems like the combination of a ton of cover (jungle) and the suicidal mentality of the Japanese soldier was a lethal combination for American tanks in the Pacific.

In short, the idea of tank commanders locking their hatches is pretty much JUST as ludicrous as individual soldiers climbing on tanks and chucking grenades into the open hatches.

Upvote 0
In short, the idea of tank commanders locking their hatches is pretty much JUST as ludicrous as individual soldiers climbing on tanks and chucking grenades into the open hatches.

I'd say it is a safe bet that the commanders locked them when they went into a hostile town. Popping your head out might not be such a good idea seeing as how that window with curtains over there is open and we can't see inside of it. (I'm talking about snipers plucking commanders) I'm sure the commanders had times when they locked the hatch and times when they left it unlocked so they could open it up and look around real quick. It is all about judgement on the commanders part. Perhaps with UE3.0 we could get a lock we could set.

Upvote 0
[5.SS]Strother said:
I'd say it is a safe bet that the commanders locked them when they went into a hostile town. Popping your head out might not be such a good idea seeing as how that window with curtains over there is open and we can't see inside of it. (I'm talking about snipers plucking commanders) I'm sure the commanders had times when they locked the hatch and times when they left it unlocked so they could open it up and look around real quick. It is all about judgement on the commanders part. Perhaps with UE3.0 we could get a lock we could set.

I'll have to refer back to the statements made by REAL LIFE tank commanders in interviews...

Yes, I'm sure people locked them in extraordinary circumstances, but the truth of the matter is that a disabled or stationary tank was extremely vulnerable to enemy infantry, locks on the hatches or not. A disabled tank in RO (tracks or engine disabled) simply becomes a pillbox. In reality, the crew would abandon the tank rather than risk death. Sure, there are exceptions to this. But it's kind of dumb that the "extraordinary" circumstances of real life become the standard activity of our game.

All a soldier really had to do to disable a tank is cram his bayonette into the turret ring. That would make the turret unusable pretty quick.

Upvote 0