• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Grenade Help

well, because of bugs ect, i would not advise trying to throw them thru windows

when aiming aim to hit the soldiers feet

and just remember that they travel in a very high arc so throw them at a high angle to make sure they go a decent distance.

45 degrees is the angle for greatest range when throwing a nade

hope that helps, if u need anymore specific help just ask

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, nades suffer rather a variety of bugs. And as Kempe says, the Unreal engine doesn't always model "gaps" very well. Even fairly large spaces can sometimes form an invisible barrier that bounces the nade back at you.

The best thing is to go into practice mode, set your bots to untrained and spend a happy little while blowing them to bits. Try all the different windows, doors, etc., to get the feel for what you can reasonably throw through - and what is likely to be dangerous.

Also be careful cooking nades - they blow up quicker in your hand than when you throw them, it's another known bug.

Upvote 0
AKA said:
If the target is for away i usually count to 2 then throw, if its closer, 3. Like PeeGee said there is a bug with the timing, and with the satchel charge aswell, which can make it difficult to time.

It's not a bug, it's the fact the timer on the grenades/satchel varies slightly, just as it did in real life. The grenades tend to blow after 3-7 seconds. It's the reason infantry back then were trained *not* to cook off grenades, because you couldn't be sure how long you had. That's not to say some people didn't cook off grenades, but they were certainly cautious about doing so!

I don't know about the retail game, but in the mod there was also a small chance of grenades being duds. I assume it's still the same now.

Upvote 0
int19h said:
The bug is that the grenades consistently cook off faster in your hand than they do on the ground.

By the way, it is entirely possible to learn to throw grenades into windows. I do it all the time on Arad, even second-floor windows, though that is more tricky. All it takes is some practice.

Yes it is possible. But some windows are buggy. There are windows with no window pane where the nade appears to be flying threw the middle of the window and it bounces back. Heck there are places where the nade hits something invisible in the air and bounces back.

Also I seem to have either found a bug or I just don't know what I'm doing. I've can run straight for an area. Prime a nade (especially the german one), throw it (and watch it fly towards my target), and then turn and hide behind a sandbag/wall/whatever, and the next thing you know is I've just naded myself :confused: How? I don't know. If it starts happening again I'm gonna look at the lag on the server. I'm guessing my system is modeling the nade flying towards my target, but the server has decided I released the nade later then I thought and its has fallen down next to me.

Upvote 0
Yes it is possible. But some windows are buggy. There are windows with no window pane where the nade appears to be flying threw the middle of the window and it bounces back. Heck there are places where the nade hits something invisible in the air and bounces back.
No kidding. Which is why you need to train throwing the grenade into specific windows on a single map...

Upvote 0
Also I seem to have either found a bug or I just don't know what I'm doing. I've can run straight for an area. Prime a nade (especially the german one), throw it (and watch it fly towards my target), and then turn and hide behind a sandbag/wall/whatever, and the next thing you know is I've just naded myself

I usually fight as Russian, but I blow myself up in exactly the way you describe. And not just occasionally... maybe 1 in 4 times a nade which appears correctly thrown blows up and kills me as if it was still in my hand.

Upvote 0
LordKhaine said:
It's not a bug, it's the fact the timer on the grenades/satchel varies slightly, just as it did in real life. The grenades tend to blow after 3-7 seconds. It's the reason infantry back then were trained *not* to cook off grenades, because you couldn't be sure how long you had. That's not to say some people didn't cook off grenades, but they were certainly cautious about doing so!

I don't know about the retail game, but in the mod there was also a small chance of grenades being duds. I assume it's still the same now.
It is a bug. I have done multiple tests on this problem.

Throws satchel charge with no waiting takes X amount of seconds. Hold it in my hand and it explodes in half the time i was holding it, try this for yourself, it consistently explodes quicker in your hand than if you just throw it without waiting. Also another problem is it is not exactly clear when your character lets go of the nade handle/pulls the cord so it is difficult to know when to count from.

You cant "cook", german nades, as soon as you unscrew the cap and pull the thingie, the fuse is going. Try holding left click with a german nades for 5 seconds and have fun.

Russian nades can be "cooked" because taking the pin out does not in itself start the fuse, only letting go of the handle sets the fuse off.

Upvote 0
int19h said:
Isn't that precisely what is referred by 'cooking' a grenade? I think a better way to describe it would be that you always cook German grenades if you do not throw them straight away, whereas with Russian grenades you have the choice.

Exactly. And I regularly get air bursts with the german nade, which is really not very effective. Wish I could get the airburst more often with the russian. I'm wondering if the air burst is not working correctly. Anyway its suppose to be the best way to get some body in behind a wall.

Upvote 0
I do have to say that last night I got some fantastic kills as the germans, while airbursting grenades. You know the map with all the trenches, and the train station. Chucking them above the trenches works wonders at the start, cause the russians are normally camped out in huge numbers at the first trench. The trick is to get it about 1-2 meters above the trench.

Upvote 0
Grenades have been aggravating me lately. Typical scenario: I'm advancing when I spot multiple enemies taking cover ahead of me. I crouch behind cover and switch to grenade. I throw grenade only to watch it bounce off the top of my cover and go straight up. I get shot while trying to run from my own grenade or blown up because I don't get away in time.

I realize I'm probably not throwing the grenade at a high enough angle but it looks good on the screen. I just have to get used to throwing in a way that doesn't look good.

I haven't practiced with grenades much in Ostfront but I assume it's similar to the mod. I use my left hand to aim with. The aimpoint has to be adjusted depending on the distance thrown but I've found it to be fairly accurate.

Upvote 0
Yes, there are times also as a Russian (it happens to both sides, Allied+Axis) that when I switch to a grenade, I cant throw it. I know what causes this, its when you click the throw/fire button as he is reaching for the nade.. I've tested it and it happens like that everytime. Again, if by chance while you are switching to a grenade and you hit or hold the fire/throw button before he gets the grenade out... you wont be able to throw it.

All you have to do though is to switch to another weapon, then back to grenade (dont hit throw while he's switching, lol) and then you can throw it.

Upvote 0