• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Falling from Buildings, Cliffs and other Structures

Falling from Buildings, Cliffs and other Structures

• Yes

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • No

Votes: 40 47.1%
  • Don't care

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters

StephanBotha

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 5, 2006
Hi Everyone,

I just bought this game yesterday and frankly I'm quite dessapointed in some areas of the game. So, I came to the forums to discuss this. I hope that you can change my view of this game.

Have you noticed that when you jump from the 1st floor of a building to the floor your player seriously gets injured? I read a couple of articles about RO and it's supposed to be ultra realistic. This bothers me because I anyone jumps from the first floor of any building you won't be seriously injured. You'll have some pain, agreed, but you won't have your lower half unable to work properly.

Another thing I discovered is that the player is unable to climb/jump over walls, fences or other obstacles that is less than a meter high? Most soldiers are supposed to be able to climb over a 2 meter wall.

Anyway, these are the first things I saw that's missing/wrong with the game. Please note that I'm not attacking the makers.players/publishers. This is only my point of view. I also realise that there hasn't been a major update to the game. I would like to see this attended for.

Otherwise (so far), the game is Ok. Nothing too special about it, but, it's only $25. That's a bonus.

So there you have my suggestions. See you all on the battlefield.

5up3rc0w

it should grow on you,
i hated it for the first week or so, little things like you mentioned niggled at me

give it some time, play more and come back and repost when your played some more and say if you still dont rekon its great, ill be suprised if u dont grow to like it more

Upvote 0
Well, my legs turn red, and after a fall I can only take that to mean I either broke my legs, broke my hips, dislocated my knees or sprained both ankles. Nonetheless, I stand up and run around some more.

Be glad your not playing Flashpoint where getting your legs shot ends with you pitifully crawling across the map waiting for someone to end your misery.

Upvote 0
As Hyperion stated, you are carrying 40-50 lbs of gear, thus vaulting over sandbags is seriously out of the question. As for the fall-killing, it is a realistic system. You are still carrying 40-50 lbs of gear, so you don't have quite the dexterity to gracefully break your fall, or anything of the sort, so the fall would indeed injure you. And, in RO, being a realistic game, any injury that would remove you from battle (a broken leg, sprain, etcetera) would consequently "kill" you in RO. So stop complaining and stop playing RO like it is BF2 or CS.

Upvote 0
akd said:
Well, my legs turn red, and after a fall I can only take that to mean I either broke my legs, broke my hips, dislocated my knees or sprained both ankles. Nonetheless, I stand up and run around some more.
A sprain, dislocation, or break would be counted as a "death" in RO, because they'd render the soldier unable to continue the fight.

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
Just remeber that your player is carrying about 40-50 lbs of gear

Interesting thought - are we really carrying 40-50 lbs of gear?
Did soldiers carry all their gear a firefight?

For Example : Kaukakaus , would the germans be assaulting mountains with all that stuff and the Russian, who are camped in the monestary, drag all their gear around?

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone.

In regards to this discussion. I consulted my dad, who was in the army for 23 years and was in the war (Angola). I'm SOuth African by the way. He confirms that it is possible and most likely for you to seriously injure your legs, hips, ankles, back, chest and knees when trying to jump 2meters down whilst carrying the standard equipment. This is not only true about the WWII scenario but for the troops of today as well. In fact, back in WWII the weight of their kits were even more than they are today.

So, it is possible (90%) that you will seriously injure yourself whilst attempting to jump such a distance from a building/cliff. It is also true that it's almost impossible to jump over a fence/wall whilst carrying this equipment.

5up3rc0w.

PS. This is for the attention of Corban Ireland. Screw you with your sarcastic and utterly rude replies ("So stop complaining and stop playing RO like it is BF2 or CS.") I stated that I'm not attacking anyone on this subject and that I'm new on this. So keep your miserable comments to yourself please.

Upvote 0
I think the falling damage is fine. Yeah, it can be frustrating, but it's close enough for me.

I do think, however, that we should be able to pitch ourselves over the low walls (4 feet or less) and out of trenches. The problem might be that this will open up areas of the map we shouldn't be straying into. Kaukesses (sp), for example, has a low wall preventing the Russians from going behind their monestary. Adding the ability to climb over that wall would require the Devs to audit and then possibly modify the maps. That might take a lot of time, during which we're stuck with maps that are unplayable because of the repurcussions.

Upvote 0
StephanBotha said:
PS. This is for the attention of Corban Ireland. Screw you with your sarcastic and utterly rude replies ("So stop complaining and stop playing RO like it is BF2 or CS.") I stated that I'm not attacking anyone on this subject and that I'm new on this. So keep your miserable comments to yourself please.
It wasn't to you, it was a general remark. Cry some more, please.

Upvote 0
StephanBotha has a great point here; if I remember properly from my medic training; most injuries in combat situations are minor cuts, abrasions, bruisesm fractures and sprains. Of course there is a lot of fragmentation-, bullet-, explosive- and burnwounds. But most wounds are not so special. It is easy to get minor injuries when you are moving in a high stress situations (more so ehen people shoot at you:p ), even when carrying only light burden.

When we had basic obstacle course there where almost no injuroes. Just a couple of bruised kneecaps and few sandburns. When we did this with light gear (a rifle and combatbelt) and in winter we had few sprained angles and one dislocated pelvis. But when we hit a simulated firefight in late spring (lots of ice) with full combat gear and we all were a tad excited.. You can guess;) Cuts, bruises, dislocated shoulders, a concussion etc etc.. And I can tell, it was quite exhausting to move in the end and you were far from catlike grace:) And this was during peacetime military training..

Upvote 0
[LEFT said:
StephanBotha[/LEFT]]Hi Everyone,

I just bought this game yesterday and frankly I'm quite
dessapointed
in some areas of the game. So, I came to the forums to discuss this. I hope that you can change my view of this game.

Have you noticed that when you jump from the 1st floor of a building to the floor your player seriously gets injured? I read a couple of articles about RO and it's supposed to be ultra realistic. This bothers me because I anyone jumps from the first floor of any building you won't be seriously injured. You'll have some pain, agreed, but you won't have your lower half unable to work properly.

Another thing I discovered is that the player is unable to climb/jump over walls, fences or other obstacles that is less than a meter high? Most soldiers are supposed to be able to climb over a 2 meter wall.

Anyway, these are the first things I saw that's missing/wrong with the game. Please note that I'm not attacking the
makers.players
/publishers. This is only my point of view. I also realise that there hasn't been a major update to the game. I would like to see this attended for.

Otherwise (so far), the game is
Ok
. Nothing too special about it, but, it's only $25. That's a bonus.

So there you have my suggestions. See you all on the battlefield.

5up3rc0w

lets see if you do not get injured if you jump out a one story window with heavy ass equipment
strapped
to you.

Upvote 0
sure if you jumped from 10 ft (were not talking hanging your feet off the edge etc) in just your normal cloths onto the ground you would only be "stunned" for half a second to recover

now put a 60lb backpack on, put a gun in your hands, put on tough boots that dont absorb impacts at all, and run a mile wearing all this first and dont eat or sleep for two days. It might be a little different?

Upvote 0