• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Windows Vista

Tak said:
Macs are like fancy european sports cars. They're good for show and might help you get the chicks, but when it comes down to it they're overpriced and underperforming snobs :p

I'll take a tweaked up WinXP system (for gaming) or a Linux box (for everything else) any day.​

LMAO. Ain't that the truth. But Macs make you feel special LOL. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
GonzoX said:
Oh Really? Not relavent huh?

So it's OK for Apple to rip off Xerox but it's unethical for MS to borrow some lame features from the Mac OS?

Can you say "Hypocrit"?
What I'm saying is, Xerox is already gone. They weren't successful even with the GUI. MS isn't borrowing any 'lame' features. They are borrowing important core features of the OSX operating system. Apparently Xerox wasn't doing something right if Apple was able to be successful and Xerox failed. I never said it was unethical, immoral, a sin or anything like that, I just pointed out that Microsoft was doing what they do best: copy and call their own.

Upvote 0
Sherman said:
What I'm saying is, Xerox is already gone. They weren't successful even with the GUI. MS isn't borrowing any 'lame' features. They are borrowing important core features of the OSX operating system. Apparently Xerox wasn't doing something right if Apple was able to be successful and Xerox failed. I never said it was unethical, immoral, a sin or anything like that, I just pointed out that Microsoft was doing what they do best: copy and call their own.

Oh really? Already gone you say? Then how do you explain this: http://www.xerox.com/

The fact that they exit or don't exit is irrelavent to my argument anway. For some reason you are having trouble digesting the point that Im trying to make.

i.e. Apple did and still does the same damn thing MS does so stop making them out to be on higher moral ground by bashing MS.

And FYI, the Xerox GUI was not brought to the commercial market as an end user item so saying it was not sucessful has no merit on your part.

Upvote 0
GonzoX said:
Oh really? Already gone you say? Then how do you explain this: http://www.xerox.com/

The fact that they exit or don't exit is irrelavent to my argument anway. For some reason you are having trouble digesting the point that Im trying to make.

i.e. Apple did and still does the same damn thing MS does so stop making them out to be on higher moral ground by bashing MS.

And FYI, the Xerox GUI was not brought to the commercial market as an end user item so saying it was not sucessful has no merit on your part.
Apple gets inspired, Microsoft blatantly steals. A good example of this is the beginnning of Windows which is basically Bill Gates buying an already made software from some unknowing sap and selling it. He was unable to do it himself whereas Apple was built from the ground up.

Upvote 0
oh btw, I got some stupid Xerox folder in my program folder on C, and it's impossible to delete it, what the **** is this?

xerox0eh.png

Upvote 0
Not a clue(Is that Dutch?:confused: ) I MGIHT move to Linux, but will be able to do next to nothing(too much ability to seriously F things up), as I have NO experience whatsoever with it.
BTW,
BobdogG5 said:
Leopard is the codename for the next version of Mac OS X

10.0 through 10.5 (10.4.6 is the current release):

10.0 Cheetah
10.1 Puma
10.2 Jaguar
10.3 Panther
10.4 Tiger <--Current Release
10.5 Leopard

20.3 Alleycat (for when they run out of "cool" names) :D

Upvote 0
Sherman said:
Apple gets inspired, Microsoft blatantly steals. A good example of this is the beginnning of Windows which is basically Bill Gates buying an already made software from some unknowing sap and selling it. He was unable to do it himself whereas Apple was built from the ground up.
LOL

Inspired is just a nice way of saying, "We saw something we liked and copied it".

You don't work for Apple do you? Also I hardly call the concept of 'widgets' a core feature of OSX, I put it in the realm of bells and whistles.

Upvote 0
Donut said:
Not a clue(Is that Dutch?:confused: ) I MGIHT move to Linux, but will be able to do next to nothing(too much ability to seriously F things up), as I have NO experience whatsoever with it.
BTW,

20.3 Alleycat (for when they run out of "cool" names) :D

Don't worry too much about screwing up mate. Just keep a hard backup of important files on a seperate drive with NO os on it. If you just want to be double safe, I suggest putting the drive in FAT32 format so that both windows and Linux can read/write to the drive equally.

Start off with a distro that has a full graphical installer and defaults to a GUI and you'll be just fine. The little differences will grow on you quickly, and before long you'll be lost when go back to a PC because of how horribly unorganized the file system is.

I recommend Mandriva, Ubuntu, Kubuntu (different GUI), or MAYBE Red-Hat (Red-Hat seems to be love it or hate it) for starters. I'm sure that /linux/Gitano could give you gaggles of pointers and advice sites if you dropped him/her a PM :)

Upvote 0
GonzoX said:

From Wikipedia:

The first successful commercial GUI product was the Apple Macintosh, which was heavily inspired by PARC's work; Xerox was given Apple stock in exchange for engineer visits and an understanding that Apple would create a GUI product

Yes Xerox had the first GUI, however they had an agreement with Apple to allow them to study the GUI developed by PARC, whereas no such agreement exists between Apple and Microsoft.

Xerox knew what Apple was doing and received Apple stock in exchange for the information Apple received from its engineer visits. That is not stealing.

Upvote 0
I think its pretty moot to argue about morality when it comes to MS and Apple, one steals from their opponents, the other from their consumers (seriously, the price tags on any apple product is criminal!), i just hope a good third party can come out of nowhere and shoot them both down.

Lets get TW to make an OS! :D

Upvote 0
Grobut said:
I think its pretty moot to argue about morality when it comes to MS and Apple, one steals from their opponents, the other from their consumers (seriously, the price tags on any apple product is criminal!), i just hope a good third party can come out of nowhere and shoot them both down.

/waits impatiently for "RO/OS"

Upvote 0
Grobut said:

While (as everyone knows) Apple's hardware carries a premium, their software offerings are quite competitively priced.

For example:

Final Cut Studio 5.1, which contains 4 professional level (as in movies that are released in theaters have used them) programs is priced at $1,299

No, I do not own or nor have I used these programs, but I think $1,299 is pretty cheap for a package that has the power to allow you to make a professional level feature and put it on a DVD.

Upvote 0
BobdogG5 said:
While (as everyone knows) Apple's hardware carries a premium, their software offerings are quite competitively priced.

For example:

Final Cut Studio 5.1, which contains 4 professional level (as in movies that are released in theaters have used them) programs is priced at $1,299

No, I do not own or nor have I used these programs, but I think $1,299 is pretty cheap for a package that has the power to allow you to make a professional level feature and put it on a DVD.

I would not considder that cheap.. one might make the case that its cheap for a professional tool, but is it a price affordable to the average private computer owner? no way, i could buy a new PC for that!
To blow that much money on software, it would have to be a buisness investment, i'd have to make money off of it, its not something i could ever spend for a bit of software just to play around with.

But thats the thing, Mac's are good buisness machines, but as a private person, and a gamer to boot, what possible incentive would i have to buy a Mac?

Upvote 0