• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I Didnt Buy a Tank Sim

I Didnt Buy a Tank Sim

• Yes

Votes: 91 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 167 64.7%

• Total voters
Either way, the point of this picture was not whether panzerfausts could be used for hand-to-hand combat, but rather to show that the Russians DID HAVE ACCESS TO FAUSTS!

Russians had access to k98s, g43s, stg44s, mp40s, stielhandgranates, panzers, tellermines, panzerschreks, etc.

Germans had access to PPShs, SVT40s, M38s, M44s, T34s, etc.

That doesn't mean absolutely anything the Russians didn't have Panzerfausts in numbers big enough to be included in the game- they were just found here and there and they used them sporadically, as did Germans with Russian weapons.

The fact that the Russians have a stupid amount of Panzerfausts available(Germans too) is just there to make it widely known that the dev team is biased towards the soviets. The soviets suffered greatly from limited anti-tank capability, yet in this game they're equipped with the best german weaponry... oh my.

Soviets shouldn't get access to Panzerfausts, period. If they capture a German ammo storage then they get access to about 5 of them before they stop spawning, and Germans only get fausts for Pak-soldats, along with a ~100 sec spawning faust in the base.

The bias boggles my mind.

Upvote 0
Um, where exactly ARE soviets getting "access" to panzerfausts? I mean, obviously if they pick one up on the battlefield (just like if the Germans pick up a PPD/Sh/S), but are there maps where Soviets actually spawn with a panzerfaust? Most of the maps I've played where I've tried the Soviet AT kit has been the PTRD, not the panzerfaust.

Upvote 0
REZ said:
apparently, Panzerfausts were just laying around all over the Eastrn Front :p (not that I dont enjoy using them :D )

Germans did have them laying around all over the Eastern Front, and given that they were continually being overrun by the Russians in '44 & '45, it's not too far from reality for there to be a crate or two conveniently placed for the Russians on the map.

Upvote 0
derspiess said:
Germans did have them laying around all over the Eastern Front, and given that they were continually being overrun by the Russians in '44 & '45, it's not too far from reality for there to be a crate or two conveniently placed for the Russians on the map.

oh, it's far from reality alright. we call it "gamey" in certain circles. :)

Upvote 0
REZ said:
There are fausts in the Konigzplats Allied spawn, the Hedgehog Allied spawn, two places in Ogledow, two on the Allied side of Barashka, what else did I miss...

apparently, Panzerfausts were just laying around all over the Eastrn Front :p (not that I dont enjoy using them :D )

Russian spawn at the perimeter defenses at Rakowice also gets fausts I believe.

Upvote 0
Heinz said:
oh, it's far from reality alright.

Gotcha-- so Panzerfausts would evaporate into thin air once they were no longer in German hands? :confused:

I do think it would be a neat feature to have the Russians randomly die or kill one of their nearby comrades if they try to use a 'faust, to reflect them likely not knowing the dangers of the backblast :D

Upvote 0
derspiess said:
Gotcha-- so Panzerfausts would evaporate into thin air once they were no longer in German hands? :confused:

I do think it would be a neat feature to have the Russians randomly die or kill one of their nearby comrades if they try to use a 'faust, to reflect them likely not knowing the dangers of the backblast :D

them using the occasional one found is fine. have a regenerating crate of them in the perfect spot, is gamey.

got it? :)

Upvote 0
Heinz said:
them using the occasional one found is fine. have a regenerating crate of them in the perfect spot, is gamey.

got it? :)

In that specific spot, I'll grant you, that is sorta gamey :)

But having some sort of access to a crate (or what is simulated in the game as a crate) of panzerfausts isn't particularly egregious IMO. I still think the Russians should get some sort of penalty when trying to use a 'faust, despite the weapon's simplicity.

Upvote 0
derspiess said:
In that specific spot, I'll grant you, that is sorta gamey :)

But having some sort of access to a crate (or what is simulated in the game as a crate) of panzerfausts isn't particularly egregious IMO. I still think the Russians should get some sort of penalty when trying to use a 'faust, despite the weapon's simplicity.

true that. ;)

I guess it goes back to the old realism vs. balance debate. the russians had no good hand held AT weapons, so, they have to be given the Faust. Kind of like spotting the Junior Varsity team 14 points in a scrimmage to make it fair. :D

Upvote 0
Heinz said:
I guess it goes back to the old realism vs. balance debate. the russians had no good hand held AT weapons, so, they have to be given the Faust. Kind of like spotting the Junior Varsity team 14 points in a scrimmage to make it fair. :D

:cool:

Do they need fausts on the Koenigsplatz map anyway, though? I always see the Tiger get greased at long range from one of the Russian tanks before Russian soldiers get too close to it.

Upvote 0
Good point. Because the map is so big and there's only one German tank, I just try to avoid the Tiger when playing as Russian infantry on Koenigsplatz. If it's on the left, I go right and vice versa. The time spent trying to get close enough to destroy it (when one of my tanks will probably get it first anyway) can be better used flanking it and taking on the German infantry.

Upvote 0
kabex said:
Russians had access to k98s, g43s, stg44s, mp40s, stielhandgranates, panzers, tellermines, panzerschreks, etc.

Germans had access to PPShs, SVT40s, M38s, M44s, T34s, etc.

That doesn't mean absolutely anything the Russians didn't have Panzerfausts in numbers big enough to be included in the game- they were just found here and there and they used them sporadically, as did Germans with Russian weapons.

The fact that the Russians have a stupid amount of Panzerfausts available(Germans too) is just there to make it widely known that the dev team is biased towards the soviets. The soviets suffered greatly from limited anti-tank capability, yet in this game they're equipped with the best german weaponry... oh my.

Soviets shouldn't get access to Panzerfausts, period. If they capture a German ammo storage then they get access to about 5 of them before they stop spawning, and Germans only get fausts for Pak-soldats, along with a ~100 sec spawning faust in the base.

The bias boggles my mind.

Where are all the Soviets anti-tank guns? Oh, they're not modelled.

Upvote 0
SilverSheep said:
I think that if Red Orchestra did not have tanks and tank maps in it the game will be less fun. A lot of people dislike tanks because of the lack of teamplay on public servers or tanks are not there thing. Having tanks in this game makes it appeal to more players.

You can play on infantry only servers if you dislike tank maps but don't force infantry only or tank only servers for everyone. Playing on a tank only server in Australia is fun for me but sometimes I think infantry only battles are needed aswell.
The problem is this...the kiddies that play mainly because of the tanks will soon drop RO when BF7.5 comes out.

Those are are leaving because RO is becoming a arcade tank game won't be back either.

Options:

i) Realise that RO is the best INFANTRY game out there full stop. And build on that. Yes, the kiddies won't play it but there was, is, a solid core of people who will continue to play.

ii) Turn it into an arcade tank game. Result - all the hard core of gamers give up on it and then the tank kiddies move onto the next game three months from now. No more RO.

Upvote 0