• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SMG at a Disadvantage

Centar said:
Supported means that they supported the weapon on something to enhance stability. Eg on a box, or on the ground if prone.

Why don't some of you pro-recoil guys pack a proper argument like I did, because right now you just haven't got one? As I've pointed out and proven several times now, the recoil is heavily exaggerated as is the inaccuracy of these weapons.

Unless you're trying the "if I don't reply to this guy's arguments, maybe that'll render them invalid, because I know he's right but don't like it" kinda approach...

I'm not a "pro recoil guy" or anything, but I think you've got to accept that this is a game and there's limits to what the engine can do. If the recoil is actually valid in terms of physics, then what you're coming up against is the limitations of the interface, as I pointed out. I have no idea and no dev confirmation as to whether recoil is modeled with real-world or even scaled real-world numbers.

I will say this, though. Can you offer an alternative? What would you propose be done differently? Should we reduce the numbers if they're accurate to real-world or scaled values so that the gun simply has less recoil and/or barrel climb? Should we create automatic recoil adjustment or add in a button you press to hold the gun steadier? What if the "adjust for recoil" button wasn't as precise or controlled as someone with a high mouse sensitivity who's learned to adjust on their own? Would you complain then?

I'm not asking in a sarcastic sense, I'm actually serious here. Assuming for the sake of argument that the recoil IS modeled with real world numbers and not just randomly selected, what would you do to change this and make it more "realistic"?

Upvote 0
First the pictures of the targets. Those bullet holes look too clean to be normal bullets. I'm guessing they were using wadcutters. Normal bullets tear up paper targets.

Also too many opponents have taken me down with SMGs to claim they aren't accurate. They may be difficult to handle, but that is just a choice the developers made. In real life SMGs are difficult to use, but once you learn they are deadly.

At 30-100 meters you will need to be resting against something to get consistent accurate shots. At 15-30 meters you will need to use IS to get good accuracy. At less then 15 meters hipshooting will dominate.

If you are gonna run around a corner take a bunch of hip shots. Too many times as a SMG I have gone into a IS at less then 5 meters and I generally lose. I go into the fight hip shooting and if its rifleman I generally win.

Upvote 0
[RO]schneidzekk said:
Lol, guess what: People sleep and do other stuff ;).

Seriously i do not see alot of proper arguments. The videos show people shooting, i do not see the target. Seeing a gun from the side does not show how it looks from the shooters perpektive. Even when it looks stable, you can't be sure to hit anything, you say you are sure, i am not. (Trust me, i have shot SMGs). The slightest movement of the gun makes a huge difference in 50 or whatever meters.

The picture shows nice groups on a test facility supported etc. etc. The regular shooter will never be able to achive groups like that. Not everybody is an expert shooter and can test his gun on a perfect prepaired test facility.

I have absolutely no problem to kill an enemy with a short burst ingame. It is not working all the time, but on the other hand, i am the worst shot around.

My suggestion: Learn to handle the recoil and you will see how easy it is.
No need to make the weapons laserlike weapons without recoil, to many games have that.

There are reasons why some players are better than others.

One of them is that they learned to use their weapons properly.

I think the gameplay would suck if the smg's were made more accurate imo. Peeps with smg's killing bolters simply because they can fire more shots than him will be boring. Think about it, the smger can start shooting as shoon as he sees an enemy and make aim adjustments as he's shooting, compared to a bolter who needs 1 perfect shot. I might as well play cod2 if that happens (well not quite but the gameplay would deffinately suffer)

Upvote 0
[RO]schneidzekk
My suggestion: Learn to handle the recoil and you will see how easy it is.
No need to make the weapons laserlike weapons without recoil, to many games have that.
Well see the problem is, according to other peoples post, to beat the recoil without knocking your mouse onto the ground you have to have a high sensitivity. Which leads me to believe that when they tested the smgs recoil out it seemed fine because everyone had a high mouse sensitivity. So could you ask the other devs and testers to see what their sensitivity settings were (or could those people simply state it)? Because I for one do not like having a high sensitivity and refuse to up mine ridiculously high just because of smgs. Also, shouldn't at least the first shot be the most accurate? Because you don't feel the recoil for it till after the bullet has already left the barrel. So in a short burst the first shot should at least be hitting, which would be better than it is now.

Upvote 0
melipone said:
I think the gameplay would suck if the smg's were made more accurate imo. Peeps with smg's killing bolters simply because they can fire more shots than him will be boring. Think about it, the smger can start shooting as shoon as he sees an enemy and make aim adjustments as he's shooting, compared to a bolter who needs 1 perfect shot. I might as well play cod2 if that happens (well not quite but the gameplay would deffinately suffer)

remember this game is sapposed to be accuracy (im not argueing one way or the other if it is or not just in response to this post), if the smg's in real life were more accurate then they should be in game.... your same argument could be used against almost every single one of the realistic elements in this game... but obviously in practise the game is made more fun by its realism. Im tired of hearing this "its not realistic but its more fun like this" attitude, go play COD (i dont mean this in a degrading way, only simply that this is not your type of game).

Upvote 0
I don't have a problem with recoil personally, and I play on quite a low sensitivity ('least i think its low - 2.5 ingame with no mouse acceleration). All you have to do is make sure you are at least ducking or proning if trying to shoot at medium/long range and fire in small bursts. TBH when prone there's hardly any recoil at all and bursting is less necessary. At close range i fire from the hip in 2 shot bursts while moving (with ppd) and a few more shots with mp40. I think the smg's are fine as they are. Not too strong and not too weak. The main problem I have with standard fps war games is the ease of use of smg's and semi auto rifles compared to the bolt action, so I hope the dev's leave em as they are.

Upvote 0
SingeDebile said:
remember this game is sapposed to be accuracy (im not argueing one way or the other if it is or not just in response to this post), if the smg's in real life were more accurate then they should be in game.... your same argument could be used against almost every single one of the realistic elements in this game... but obviously in practise the game is made more fun by its realism. Im tired of hearing this "its not realistic but its more fun like this" attitude, go play COD (i dont mean this in a degrading way, only simply that this is not your type of game).

I don't play RO because it's uber realistic, I play because the weapons need to used in a much more careful way than cod2. COD2 is boring for me because even a newbie can play well in that game as long as they pick the smg class. I'm not bothered if it's realistic, but if the realism makes the game more fun (by making the game harder) then I'm happy with it. I see what you mean but how much fun would you have if the bolt action was completely obsolete because the smg has the same pro's as it but none of the cons

Upvote 0
melipone said:
I don't play RO because it's uber realistic, I play because the weapons need to used in a much more careful way than cod2. COD2 is boring for me because even a newbie can play well in that game as long as they pick the smg class. I'm not bothered if it's realistic, but if the realism makes the game more fun (by making the game harder) then I'm happy with it. I see what you mean but how much fun would you have if the bolt action was completely obsolete because the smg has the same pro's as it but none of the cons

the problem is that the creed of ROOST is realism

Upvote 0
[RO]schneidzekk:
I too would like to see a video that shows not only the gun being fired, but the target getting hit, or at least a photo with the achieved groupings of the taped burst. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find one - appears that American gun nuts are more into just cool blazing away than actual performance and precision :p

Of course battlefield conditions are worse than those in a test facility. Therefore they only give a rough idea to their battlefield performance. However, many people have repeatedly said that SMG's, as weapons, are not accurate. So even if the test facility groupings do not give 100% accurate ideas of battlefield performance, they prove that the weapons in themselves were highly precise, and therefore people who argue that SMG's are inaccurate are either talking out of their arses, or have the wrong scale (eg. SMG's ARE inaccurate when compared to bolt actions R/L and when compared to any weapons at ranges of 300m or so, however for the purposes of RO, the typical engagement ranges are 20m to 100m max)

I'm not a whiner who keeps getting killed and therefore goes on complaining about it. Well, I too agree that there are reasons as to why some people are better players than others. Almost whenever I play I am in the top 3 on the server. Join me for a game and you'll see, my ingame nick is either Centar or [TT]Centar sometimes on tank maps. I'm not saying this in order to brag about my skillzors or junk, but just to say that no, I'm not complaining only because I can't handle the weapons. And yes, I kill plenty with the SMG's and I believe I master them quite well. And yeah, despite that, I still think they are way off.

druid:
I appreciate the effort. However it must be understood that in the game, what the 3rd person view show is only an animation, which does NOT depend on the amount of recoil the 1st person player will experience. Therefore, a demo like this is invalid proof.

Solo4114:
You have a good argument, and I partially agree. And yes, I CAN offer a sensible alternative, and probably I should have done so at a much earlier stage.

My problem is NOT that the SMG's are difficult to handle and take getting used to. My problem is that a lot of the time, I perfectly aim at someone about 25-50 meters away, and fire a carefully aimed short burst. Yet at least half the time, the guy at the recieving end will escape uninjured, despite me lining up the shot perfectly with no latency problems whatsoever (you can test this on a practice game, do it 10-20 times to a bot in a non-supported stance). In the real life, if I aimed properly at a guy at that range, or even at 100 meters, there'd be NO QUESTION: he'd be dead meat. The SMG's Do NOT hit where you aim, despite how some Devs have claimed there is no random inaccuracy. In addition, the recoil is exaggerated.

My proposal is to SLIGHTLY reduce the recoil on the SMG's. Reduce the recoil on the 1st shot by some 50% from the current recoil, second shot will have about 30% less recoil than now, 3rd about 20%, 4th about 10% and 5th will have the same recoil than now... And then make the accuracy so that the first shot hits where you aim, and from there after each shot, the inaccuracy increases to it's current level. Then, increase the sway of the iron sights, to compensate for the new better accuracy.

Theodrake:
Yeah its probably a fake pic that I posted here..for what? To get my point across? I'm trying to improve this mod in terms of realism and gameplay. Trying to make it better. It's not a conspiracy against RO where I make fake evidence and stuff. Finally yeah paper targets get torn up by gunfire a lot of the time, but it doesn't say anywhere where the targets were made of... You COULD be right, but I don't think so. All I know is that the Suomi KP m/31 was the most accurate SMG of the war, accurate enough for me to believe in groupings like this from an experienced shooter. The PPSh was not quite as good, but it was still amazingly accurate.

What Byte Me said about the mouse sensitivity is a good point IMO. I don't really fancy turning it up either, and I don't fancy binding a key to switching between different sensitivities (high sensitivity for full auto / CQC and low for long ranges) as it feels quite...lame. Plus I'm used to slow sensitivity.

melipone:
I agree that it is a balance factor. If the SMG's were realistically modified, they would be more dominating than now. What I said about increasing the IS sway on them would help to balance it out a bit as would the gradually increasing recoil and inaccuracy with each shot. Of course even then, the SMG's would be better than they are now. But look - IRL the SMG's WERE amazing at trench assaulting and house to house fighting and other close combat. I'd rather pick realistic but dominant SMG's than the current SMG's which feel unrealistically nerfed due to inaccuracy when not prone and supported.

Even then, there would be a distinct difference between this and COD. I understand that in COD you can more or less pick any class you want, but in RO the classes are strictly limited. There will still be only 2-4 SMG's per side and 10 riflemen. This prevents it from being TOO SMG orientated.

And finally, yes, the SMG class WOULD be better than the rifleman class. But look, the classes aren't even MENT to be balanced! Or who, in their right mind, would claim the rifleman class is as good as the sniper class, or as the Gruppenfuhrer? The classes aren't even MENT to be equal...

Upvote 0
Centar said:
Theodrake:
Yeah its probably a fake pic that I posted here..for what? To get my point across? I'm trying to improve this mod in terms of realism and gameplay. Trying to make it better. It's not a conspiracy against RO where I make fake evidence and stuff. Finally yeah paper targets get torn up by gunfire a lot of the time, but it doesn't say anywhere where the targets were made of... You COULD be right, but I don't think so. All I know is that the Suomi KP m/31 was the most accurate SMG of the war, accurate enough for me to believe in groupings like this from an experienced shooter. The PPSh was not quite as good, but it was still amazingly accurate.

I'm not saying its fake. I'm saying it looks like they were using special rounds called wad cutters. They are not normal rounds and can not be used to determine the accuracy of standard military issue ammo. They are used in target shooting to make a nice clean cut when they hit the paper. I'm also not arguing about the accuracy of the SMG, I'm just saying I don't believe its a real world test.

Until somebody makes a mod with targets and does a screen capture showing us the in game accuracy we don't have much to really argue about. I've played other games where people have done this and it makes for good comparisons.

Now can some players control recoil easier then others. Sure. Does that make the SMGs less accurate, no. Does it make it too difficult for the general player to become proficient with the SMG, maybe.

Upvote 0
Centar said:
My problem is NOT that the SMG's are difficult to handle and take getting used to. My problem is that a lot of the time, I perfectly aim at someone about 25-50 meters away, and fire a carefully aimed short burst. Yet at least half the time, the guy at the recieving end will escape uninjured, despite me lining up the shot perfectly with no latency problems whatsoever (you can test this on a practice game, do it 10-20 times to a bot in a non-supported stance).

Just did that. I found that properly aimed shots hit where I put them out to the length of Krasni's central yard; I don't have the precision to do it beyond that.

Its a !%! and a half to keep the sight on target during any sort of burst at that range- I had to stop after the first few rounds. Also don't mistake escaping ALIVE for escaping uninjured- several of the bursts hit but didn't hit anything vital, and the bot wasn't even slowed. I knew it was a hit because I was firing at friendlies, and the "you injured a friendly" message appeared.

You are doing this in IS mode, right? Hip-firing has a lot of freeaim in it, and its intentionally quite imprecise- the gun shoots where the muzzle is pointed, but the muzzle doesn't stay where you expect it to.

Upvote 0
the hipping accuracy is something I have a problem with, personally, but that's the case with all hipped weapons, including the bayonet. In close the game just cannot replicate real-world movement. I'm not sure if there's a good solution for that, though.

The only thing I can think of is some sort of transparent crosshair or barrel-indicator or dot that only shows up at extremely close range (IE: 40ft or less). But the notion that it's even possible to miss at point blank range with an SMG is patently absurd. And yet, it happens. As do misses with the bayonet or riflebutt. That's largely due to the interface and the nature of computer gaming in general, but it'd be nice to see some kind of attempt to correct this.

Upvote 0
Theodrake - ok, I understand what you ment now. My bad. I guess we can never know about that.

Yep, I'm using iron sights. Are you sure you were standing and unsupported? Your result sounds like what I'd get when prone, supported and single shots.

To be able to ultimately deciede about this, we'd really need a shooting range map and the ability to fire single shots off of the SMG's.

Solo4114: I agree, though this is mainly about IS accuracy, there's that problem too. Partially it's something that all FPS games have and will always have in future. Could maybe be helped with slightly reducing the freeaim zone, eg. by a quarter.

Upvote 0
panzerknacker said:
On KO there was a german in the garage pointed the wrong way, aiming back into the garage, I walk up 2 meters behind him, go to iron sights, aim for centermass, one three round burst later I am looking at the ceiling, he then turns and plugs me.

See this is more of a clipping/hit detection problem than an issue with the SMGs. If you had a rifle in that situation I'm pretty sure the same thing would have happened.

I was playing Kaukasas once and snuck up behind a leaning German in the shepard's hut. No matter what I tried, I couldn't hit him until he stopped leaning!

Upvote 0
Phoenix-D said:
See this is more of a clipping/hit detection problem than an issue with the SMGs. If you had a rifle in that situation I'm pretty sure the same thing would have happened.

I was playing Kaukasas once and snuck up behind a leaning German in the shepard's hut. No matter what I tried, I couldn't hit him until he stopped leaning!
I've also experienced probelms like that when ppl lean. Only happens occasionally, though. And a nade will blow em up.

Upvote 0
Solo4114 said:
The only thing I can think of is some sort of transparent crosshair or barrel-indicator or dot that only shows up at extremely close range (IE: 40ft or less). But the notion that it's even possible to miss at point blank range with an SMG is patently absurd. And yet, it happens.

There is a big difference between 40 ft and point blank. Is missing at 40 ft. totally absurd? No, not at all. People unload pistols at eachother in small rooms and manage not to connect their bullets to their targets. Even trained police officers completely miss at short range on occasion.

Upvote 0
first post here, and my english is bad, i know

one thing that is really bad in many shooters is that u have a lower recoil while u are on ur knees.
in my opinion this is just not realistic. ur weapon should be more accurate but the recoil should not be easier to control than in standing position.
ihave shot some fullautomatic guns and its just unrealistic that u can control the recoil easier in kneeing position than in standig position. u should have a recoil benefit when u are lying on the ground or when u are resting ur gun but u should not have a advantage as a couching soldier towards a standing one.

im out, and im german
good night

Upvote 0
Shouldn't things that are easy in real life be easy in the game? Wasn't this one of RO's goals?

Changing the barrel climb to a more realistic level will not make the game anywhere close to what CS is. It will just make the game more immersive tio the player, with little affect on the actual gameplay.

I'm not talking about changing accuracy or recoil, only the barrel climb.

Upvote 0