• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"team taking" 90% of the time doesnt work

SingeDebile

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2006
sure every once in a while i will find someone that actually knows how to unbotton and use their binoc , or even though more rarely know how to drive.

Unfortunatly as much as i wish it wernt true most people just dont know what is going on. To the point of infuriating me... \

i was just on a server we were in an IS2 we come up face to face with a panzer... i shoot once it penetrates but i must have just missed the amo box, my driver proceeds to turn the tank around and try to drive away????? naturally the panzer says ooooo i have an exposed butt of an IS2 a tank i could usually have little hope of taking out if proporly angled.... so we die.... my "team mate" responds by saying its harder to hit a moving target... sure maybe half way accross arad ill miss some of my shots when the tank is moving, BUT AT 50FT THIS IS NOT A REASON TO EXPOSE THE BUTT OF YOUR TANK WHEN NORMALLY HE HAS NO HOPE OF KILLING YOU

this is just one tiny example of all the infuriating moments i have, sure i always try to give propor commands... and call out targets... but fruitlessly!! It only makes me more frustrated the harder i try to be a good team mate.... and they are just in their own little world.

it comes down to if i solo tank im almost always 1st ranked on the server by a safe margin (not to mention im actually helping my "team" get objectives), if i team tank were lucky to get a 1:1 ratio... much less actually get any objectives.

I think i need to join a clan, with some good voice chat, and some intelligent players.. i would love to have a competent team mate but its just not happening on public servers.

maybe im too serious, but i play always at 100%, i am always pulling every trick i can think of to win (objectives)... every game... and I just feel liek other people are just toddleing along and just looking around.

So i ask, if i were to come up with a solo tank designation would people respect it? For the benifit of the team? (i really mean that last part... as what most infurates me is im not able to do what i know i can for my team)

[soloTANK]

Last edited:
Most of the time I find I do better on my own as it's kind of boring to get in a good position and sit there especially in a JS-2 that has no hull MG. On my own I have nobody else to worry about so I can sit in one spot for as long as I wish. I do though give others a chance in team tanking, unless their name is ROPlayer, then I'll just leave the tank. If they can actually hit targets (as I'm usually the driver) then I'll team up with them again. If they sit there like a bump on a log and don't shoot an enemy I stop for then I'll usually bail out and never team with them again. Just me though, other people insist on team tanking, others think people who want to team up are 'stealing' their tank.

Upvote 0
SingeDebile said:
sure every once in a while i will find someone that actually knows how to unbotton and use their binoc , or even though more rarely know how to drive.

Unfortunatly as much as i wish it wernt true most people just dont know what is going on. To the point of infuriating me... \

i was just on a server we were in an IS2 we come up face to face with a panzer... i shoot once it penetrates but i must have just missed the amo box, my driver proceeds to turn the tank around and try to drive away????? naturally the panzer says ooooo i have an exposed butt of an IS2 a tank i could usually have little hope of taking out if proporly angled.... so we die.... my "team mate" responds by saying its harder to hit a moving target... sure maybe half way accross arad ill miss some of my shots when the tank is moving, BUT AT 50FT THIS IS NOT A REASON TO EXPOSE THE BUTT OF YOUR TANK WHEN NORMALLY HE HAS NO HOPE OF KILLING YOU

this is just one tiny example of all the infuriating moments i have, sure i always try to give propor commands... and call out targets... but fruitlessly!! It only makes me more frustrated the harder i try to be a good team mate.... and they are just in their own little world.

it comes down to if i solo tank im almost always 1st ranked on the server by a safe margin (not to mention im actually helping my "team" get objectives), if i team tank were lucky to get a 1:1 ratio... much less actually get any objectives.

I think i need to join a clan, with some good voice chat, and some intelligent players.. i would love to have a competent team mate but its just not happening on public servers.

maybe im too serious, but i play always at 100%, i am always pulling every trick i can think of to win (objectives)... every game... and I just feel liek other people are just toddleing along and just looking around.

So i ask, if i were to come up with a solo tank designation would people respect it? For the benifit of the team? (i really mean that last part... as what most infurates me is im not able to do what i know i can for my team)

[soloTANK]

Singedebile seems like the only stuff you ever post has to do with an insult.

Upvote 0
Insult? To whom? I just read it as being pissed off by people who don't tank very well (when it comes to crewplay).

TBH I usually don't have a lot of trouble finding halfdecent teamtankers. And it's really not that boring to be a driver or mgunner on board a tank. I find it a lot of fun being able to coordinate as a little 2-man (or 3) team. Half the fun comes from succesfull teamplay, not from just fragging tanks and upping your score.

@singedebile:
Tried watching out for people with #?[TT] nametags?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
odin1899 said:
Insult? To whom? I just read it as being pissed off by people who don't tank very well (when it comes to crewplay).

TBH I usually don't have a lot of trouble finding halfdecent teamtankers.

@singdebil:
Tried watching out for people with #?[TT] nametags?

yes usually they are very competent (because they came from these forums... hehe)

Upvote 0
90% of the time people are incapable of team-tanking? Hyperbole, anyone?

Anyhoo, this is why I believe team tanking should be more encouraged in the game; as it will help people learn.

Also, this is another reason why the local voice channel needs to be reliable; makes communication so much easier.

Upvote 0
I'm running around with my loved [TT.d] tag and had some amazing experiences on public-team-tanking. Fighting multiple hostile tanks at once, winning the fight nearly unharmed, stopping enemy forces from advancing through tank-guerilla-tactics...

Team-tanking works well for me on publics most of the time, but I guess thats because I am usually driving. IMHO driving the tank is the harder and more important task: It doesn't even matter if you miss a shot when you got plenty of time - thanks to angleing well and being nearly invincible etc.

And if I find a good gunner, we can normally compensate roughly 2-3 enemy tanks in firepower...

Team-tanking is great, but often people think that "team-tanking" means they got a cab-driver to yell at while shooting tanks. The driver is the more important part: choosing a proper route and position to attack the enemy often makes the difference between life and death. And its not boring or unsatisfieng just to drive all the time, because if you move in between shots of the commander to get better position, be a harder target or maybe reflect shots at different angles you are somewhat busy anyway.

Conclusion:
Got a newbie in your tank? Let him shoot for you, its way easier than to find a good driver!

Upvote 0
Team tanking is getting better I find. There seems to be a steadily increasing group of half decent tankers out there. This can only get better I feel.

You still get the total noob who has no idea. There is a lot going on, and it is easy to miss the comms at first. But if they keep playing, eventually they improve and become better.

I have long since stopped getting hot under the collar with them. I sigh to myself and carry on.

Upvote 0
Chym said:
Give a slight tenths of second in reloading time advantage for mutimanned tank could encourage teamworking, as it is often makes a difference of live or death on the battlefield.
Won't prevent crappy drivers to expose tanks rear thought :p

Well you can already get multiple Seconds of Load Time Advantage against one Crewed Tanks, simply force him to turn his Tank :)

Upvote 0
myzko said:
I'd love to have some mandatory training tutorial for RO, especially the tanks, and maybe granade throwing.

YES, it wouldnt even need to have anything crazy in it... just the basics... it could mention how tounbotton, the advantages of it, mention angleing your tank, also at the end for gunner practice it could have a sort of shooting gallery with enemy tanks at random ranges so you could learn the arc and speed of your main gun.

Upvote 0
SingeDebile said:
YES, it wouldnt even need to have anything crazy in it... just the basics... it could mention how tounbotton, the advantages of it, mention angleing your tank, also at the end for gunner practice it could have a sort of shooting gallery with enemy tanks at random ranges so you could learn the arc and speed of your main gun.

totally agree here this would be good for the next patch just arad with instructions on how to use tactical geography, fireing and all that just a tutorial this way it gets to everyone through steam and they can practice. it could have way point flags like how to follow the river and stay out sight. Alot of the times I find people that dont even have mics which is infuriating that and the local channel in tanks doesnt always work. Then again some people may have mics but not speak your language so ....

Upvote 0
there should be a custom map for tank practicing like rifle range in vCoD...have silhouettes x meters out in the field, choose you tank, and shoot at stationary or moving targets

personnaly i agree with the OP...why should i have to suffer bad gameplay dieing all the time in a tank whose team member doesnt know how to do jack****? Dont give me the "he;s new and will learn bs"...thats what practice mode is for...because believe it or not...yo can at least learn the basics. Im not gonna lie i've had some awesome times on pubs team tanking...and i was quite effective too...much more so than i would normally be...but since i got hte game in March...i've only had 4 of those moments...the rest is spent trying to tell my driver to stop, go right, or back up...and i f im driving...all i can do is watch as he misses time and again while i manuever untill we're teamed up on...

Upvote 0
To original poster:

If you see my name on any servers, I'll tank with you. I am always the driver because it seems that 95% of players will play Gran Turismo rather than tank sim. I am often stationary, hull-down, near infantry or behind, and I wait for you to shoot before I move unless we're flanking. (et cetera)

I know exactly how you feel. Very few people were/are prepared for tank combat in RO, and if a comprehensive, yet easy to understand, tutorial doesn't come out, it will be sad times for RO tank combat for some time to come.

I honestly don't know what the solution is. More time?

Upvote 0
These things work themselves out. When you face up to another guy and blast him several times in a row with his shells bouncing off you because you're correctly angled... he'll want to learn how you're doing it, he'll want to improve. Otherwise he'll stay out of a tank, and that's fine too.

Instruct people on servers about angling and calling targets, don't feel shy about it - if they don't like it, F 'em.

Upvote 0