• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I know whats wrong with the BA64

TKP

Mar 20, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Hi All, The problem with the unrealistic tactics with the BA64 is that it moves to fast cross country. Anyone who has ever driven a 4 wheel drive vehicle not on a road knows that it just bumps along. You can not drive it too fast. Even nice grass fields have all sorts of bumps and holes which slow down wheeled vehicles. Now tanks have those tracks which tend to smooth out bumps and small holes. The Germans tried to get better cross country performance out of their scout cars by giving them all those wheels. 8 wheels for the Puma and 234/1.

The BA64 besides having only 4 wheels has a lot of weight on top of it also, which would drive down its performance even further cross country. So, I am suggesting that the cross country performance of the BA64 be reduced to something more realistic. Down a road, fine let it roar.

If you slow that thing down it'll be simply tank bait. But, I guess I'm for it since the german half-track is really slow, too. It would force the Russians to do what the Germans already have to, use cover and don't take the thing right up to the front lines.

You're also right about the fact that the car seems to behave unrealistically. I've been four-wheeling a bunch and could never get something going as fast as that. I've also rode in a bunch of humve's in the worst possible terrain and they also don't usually go as fast as it seems the BA-64 does in game. Fortunately, the hum's don't flip as much, either!

I don't know much about how they were used in WWII, so I can't comment on how historical they seem to be.

Upvote 0
[5.SS]Strother said:
It needs to be done away with, put the truck back in, or one of their halftracks or a lend lease halftrack.

Actually, I think its a good addition to the game... when people use it as an ARMORED CAR.

Its effective against infantry on Rakowice and Hedgehog, but throws realism out the window when people use it inappropriately on tank maps.

In most cases, its being used as a transport vehicle/go-kart. The original poster's suggestions would help it be used in a more realistic fashion, which I am all for.

I still would like to see trucks/halftracks for the russians, however. They need a transport vehicle, as well.

Upvote 0
[tR]Mad Mac said:
Actually, I think its a good addition to the game... when people use it as an ARMORED CAR.

Its effective against infantry on Rakowice and Hedgehog, but throws realism out the window when people use it inappropriately on tank maps.

In most cases, its being used as a transport vehicle/go-kart. The original poster's suggestions would help it be used in a more realistic fashion, which I am all for.

I still would like to see trucks/halftracks for the russians, however. They need a transport vehicle, as well.

Need ability to ride on tank armor, and no truck are needed, althrough maybe on some maps.
Arad: no transport for Russians, only riding on tanks, or spawn closer to village;
Barashka: Limited amount of Armored Cars / special class for it (imo, it would almost solve problem with cars)

Upvote 0
I've read the arguments for a class to use the armored car, and have to go against it. At least for now. In the 64 man era having a dedicated 'driver' class (for troop transports, scout cars, etc) would rock, but as it stands now on a full armor map there usually aren't enough people to mix up the roles as it is. That, and it can't be hard to drive a BA-64. It's a top-heavy car that takes effort to get in and out of.

We need that enter/exit delay/animation sequence though. Problem solved right there, I'd wager.

I don't think riding on vehicles is possible in this rendition of RO, though I'm not sure on that. And honestly as a mainly infantry player, given the option between riding a tank and what is essentially a flat-bed truck with some wood on the sides, I'll take my chances with the wood!

Upvote 0
I agree with making its handling etc more realistic on rough terrain, and perhaps also giving the russkies their zis-42 halftrack, or the lend-lease White M3(a1) halftrack. Then, you'd give the Jerrys their armored car (i can't remember the German designation.) That would balance it out in a **Realistic** way. Although, you'd only deploy the vehicles based on historical usage

Upvote 0
What we need is to be able to shoot the engine block out. I cant count the number of MG rounds I've put onto that car.

I very much doubt it had enough armor on the engine block to stop an 8mm round. So, I think the best way to make them more realistic is to allow the engine block to get shot out by rounds 8mm or larger if hit in the right spot or if enough were put on it.

That would stop it from being able to just rush up to tanks.

Upvote 0
Cyion said:
Something does need to be done so people don't do suicide drives and pull up behind an enemy tank and satchel. It gets really annoying when the satchel n00bs are more of a threat than the enemy tanks.

Rock, they can be MG'd to death. It takes a lot of rounds, yes, though I imagine that's about right. The car is more 'engine' and less 'computer' than modern cars, so it probably only has a few hoses/belts worth mentioning. That, and if it's like ANYTHING else Russian made during World War II, it's made with probably only half it's original parts and designed to be torn aport in a drunken rage and quickly reassembled, so that has to have SOME effect in game-play terms! :)

Cheap-arse effectiveness FTW!

Upvote 0