• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why isn't anyone buying this game???

Droog said:
On Creative cards (how many gamers have it? 50%?) VOIP only works with Sound set to Software 3D. EAX or no EAX, VOIP is stuttering on Hardware setting.

If anybody knows a workaround please let me know. AFAIK it's an old bug in Unreal engine that was patched later on. But Tripwire used the early version to build RO:OST.

I have a creative card, and I have no trouble with VOIP, there has to be another reason.

Upvote 0
Colt .45 killer said:
well i am actually trying to decide to buy this game or not, due to the fact that i am a realism lover. (yeah i hate bf2 with a passion). i just wanted to know from the players what level of realism does this game have. is it a 1 hit kill style game or is it 5 bullets kill like an arcare. are the weapons accurate to the iron sights or is there good ol cone fire?

these are just a few qustions i wanted to ask before buying the game

I came to this game last night from DoDS and believeme when i say, i cant believe how realistic this is compared! Its amazing.

Upvote 0
Colt .45 killer said:
well i am actually trying to decide to buy this game or not, due to the fact that i am a realism lover. (yeah i hate bf2 with a passion). i just wanted to know from the players what level of realism does this game have. is it a 1 hit kill style game or is it 5 bullets kill like an arcare. are the weapons accurate to the iron sights or is there good ol cone fire?

these are just a few qustions i wanted to ask before buying the game
Fair questions...

Bullets fly with correct ballistics; MGs fire at full rate of fire; bullets tend to hurt (obviously dependent on velocity on impact/range plus type of round). I've been in the situation where I've been winged in all four limbs and not gone down - but been laughing my head off, knowing how bloody lucky I've been. Mostly a round to anywhere vital will take you down - and no "insta-healing" anywhere.

Weapons accurate to the sights - and the bullet goes where the gun is pointing, whether in IS or hipped. However, you'll see the weapon "sway" - lots when hipped, less in IS, minimal once prone and resting your weapon on something (ie sandbag, rock). No "cone of fire" thing. Recoil can be a ***** for all those who insist on reeling off long bursts from automatic weapons, though!

As to demo - two possibilities at the moment: free trial via Steam or full demo version in some form. We'll do at least one, if not both, at some point (quite soon).

Upvote 0
[RO]Wilsonam said:
Glad you like it - nice screenies (IL-2, I assume?) by the way!

Yea. thanks they are il2, and like it is an understatement! I just played it for another 2 hour stretch and would of played mroe but PC started overheating. I found guys wanted to teamplay as well, which is great! Me and a few guys just tore across huge maps (me being killed every 50yards or so lol) and we sniffed out infantry. So cool! I really like this game. Barashka, Arad and this other map i cant think of the name (with tower) of were so fun! Cant wait to play again tonight :cool:

If the guy who i was palying with reads this, sorry i disco'd my PC crashed to overheat :rolleyes: Vilien or Viliven, something like that :) Nice fella.

Upvote 0
Tak said:
90% of the time, 1 shot, 1 kill. Of that remaining 10%, about 7% of the time you wound the person enough that they are staggered (movement slows to a crawl) and you can quickly finish them of with minimal effort. The remaining 3% goes to things like being at a very long range with a small calibre weapon, or hitting the arms/legs, and they're still out of action with minimal effort. Only in *very* rare circumstances will you take more than 2 bullets and live, and that usually comes from being sprayed at long range by an SMG. Machine guns are scary, rifles with a clear line of sight are more scary, and SMGs in your face give you a good reason to do the 'Oh **** oh ****!' mouse-wiggle move :)

If you have any doubts though, wait for the demo. I'd hazard the guess that you'll like it :)

Thats the best darn thing ive heard since rocket fag cafe for mohaa.

Upvote 0
Edit:
thankyou Ro wilsonman

i am very surprised to see such good customer support, coming from being an ea gamer i am used to being kicked and spit on when it comes to the whole customer support/ game quality. so i must say you have made a big impression on me already. i am going to go buy the game from future shop today, because of the treatment i have received here.

thanks once again
colty

Upvote 0
The only problems with realism that I've seen are:

1.) The tank damage system (which is currently under repair so don't let that stop you -- in the mod it worked properly and was very very cool).

2.) Hipping isn't REALLY realistic, but that's due more to the fact that you're looking at a 2D screen with a weapon that is slightly angled on the screen to give you the feel of where it is. Last night I had the experience of being at point blank range with an MP40, and getting startled by a Russian trooper. I sprayed and prayed and literally from point blank range failed to kill him.

Now some of that is because I basically suck at hipping, but some of it is also because perspective is kind of counterintuitive in hipped mode. It's not how you'd REALLY use the weapon hipped, but that's not RO's fault -- it's due to the fact that you're playing a computer game where you're not actually holding the gun itself.

Also, there's (of course) the issue of lack of peripheral vision, the fact that all soldiers function at physically identical levels (same amount of stamina, same height, weight, etc.), and other things that simply can't be modeled in a video game.

But as far as ballistics are concerned, the game FEELS real to me. I'm not a marksman and have very very little experience with firearms, but the game DOES feel real to me. You will only take 5 shots if they are arm/leg shots and then you'll be moving at a snail's pace and unable to aim well.

There's still some obvious things that are unrealistic due to the fact that this IS a computer game, but for the most part this is about as realistic as you're gonna get in today's FPS landscape.

Upvote 0
Coming back to the main statement of this thread ("why isn't anyone buying this game?") I just want to let you all know, that RO is the first PC game ever I didn't only buy once - I bought it twice. And since I come from Germany it wasn't a low price buy for me (one licence over steam - the other RO licence as an expensive US import over austria) - but that doesn't matter at all for me because Ostfront is it worth every cent.
I just needed another licence for my 2nd PC, because it doubles the fun playing RO if you can invite a friend to share your enthusiasm for the most realistic infantry simulation on the pc gaming market to date.

Greetings,
BASE

Upvote 0
The reason people 'aren't buying' this game is very simple.

They are too busy playing this game:

hoff-nopoly.jpg

Upvote 0
I saw 2 copies of Ostfront at the Target in the Sacramento CA area. Of coarse Bestbuy in my area has lots of boxes too. I'm going to check at Circuit City this week. It seems like RO is selling pretty steady.:D

There are almost 300 user reviews right now at Metacritic.com with a 8.5 avg. BTW, 1up now has a short but decent review of RO (80%).

The # of populated servers seems to be holding steady. All in all I think the game is doing real well.:):):)

Upvote 0
Droog said:
Why is RO for mature people and COD Search and Destroy is not?

And why COD (not COD2) community is not switching to RO? That's the question!

I still see many more people playing COD UO S&D or LTS both of which have 5 min respawn time. Are they ultramature?

Right now, my clan has a CODUO server and most of us play on it. Still others have finally burned out on it after 2 to 3 years. The game does have its appeal, because there are sooo many maps out there, and even discarding the lame or bad ones, we still have great maps like those from After-Hourz or the new huge one Broadsword based loosely on 'Where Eagles Dare'. While we are not a realism clan, we are all mature, almost all of us are over 40 (50, 60...), and we don't put up with tk'ers, bunny hopping, or other (excessive) run'n'gun garbage.

Most of us at least tried Red Orchestra OstFront 41-45. Some of us love it, me particularly, while others don't much care for it. Still others play it just once in a while.

For those that love it, part of the reason is the realism, other reasons are obvious.

For those that don't care for it much, one of the reasons is the realism. After playing COD for years, I think getting used to the weapons sway, reload times, and other things just didn't appeal to them. For some others, I know they really like the idea of tripwires (not TripWire) that come with the AWE mod. Still others (I think...) don't see ROOST taking off like COD did and they have visions of us running a large full server all the time and attracting the attention that comes with it. They don't see ROOST doing that.

Months ago, we all had high hopes for COD2, and the devs of that game could have gone on a route more like ROOST adopted, but instead, they chose the console direction. Add to that the incredibly long delay in getting a patch out with lame maps, and waiting for the mapping tools, and many of us, me included , don't want to have anything to do with COD2.***

-------------------

Well, long story short, I think the game generally attracts a more mature audience (game wise that is), and that audience has to want to play this sort of gamestyle. I am sure that Steam is a turn-off for a few people, the lack of a demo at the moment doesn't help, and for others (unlike here in the USA) the options to buy it are limited or not there yet. Still others are not even computer savy enough to even apply the tweaks necessary (or even look for them) to get the game to run nicely on their older/slower computers and may have given up. Advertising for it I must say is sorta sad, I have walked into stores (ex: Circuit City) and not seen it, asked about it and the people working that department have no clue as to what I am talking about. This game should be in Wal-Marts, tons of people shop for games at Wal-Mart. Even where I live in NJ, I would have to drive at least 1/2 hour just to get to a store that specializes in computer games, the nearby Wal-Mart by far has the biggest selection around (actually its the only store nearby that does).

However, ROOST has the potential to really take off. Look at America's Army as an example. Sure its free, but besides that, it attempts to be realistic, it constantly comes out with new maps, and despite having no respawning at all, it is one of the top played multiplayer games out there. The audience is there, they just need to be reached. On a side note, while I think the price of the ROOST is great, to a person who may see it in the store and is unaware of what the game is, the price almost puts it in the budget/old/lame game category and may actually work against itself!!!

:)

*** Note to Devs: Thanks for staying involved and not taking the route the devs of COD2 did. If nothing else, you have earned my respect and patronage (2 copies) for a great game and support.

Upvote 0
MrBunsy said:
No you don't. If a business, or a school for that matter, went and bought a copy of XP from PC world and installed it on all their computers they'd be breaking the law, they only bought one copy and one licence of XP.

Incorrect, if a business or a company went out and bought one copy of Windows XP from a retailer they could do anything they liked with it a long as that is within the law.

N.B. in my previously given two court cases for Eula breach, both the aquitted parties were businesses. One of them a software house itself.

Sorry this took me so long to reply to, but I only came across the answer today, (and I thought of you).

The answer lies in Contract Law as opposed to Tort Law.
Tort law, or common law deals with ordinary circumstances including retail purchases. If you buy an item from a retailer it is covered by Tort Law.

If on the other hand you make a contract with another company or institution, in our given case "Microsoft", you are bound by any contract you enter into between your two businesses. A company to company agreement is bound by Contract Law.

So if you as a commercial I.T. manager or a bursar order your copies of Windows XP from Microsoft, and Microsoft says you must buy one copy per machine, and you agree to it, you are henceforth legally bound to do so.

Not by any National law that dictates that software may only be used on one computer, but because of a contractual obligation you agreed with Microsoft.

For those people who didn't make a business to business agreement with Microsoft, you don't have one.

Here is my educational challenge for you. (At least one of us will learn something).
What I would like you to show me, if you are able, is the name of the specific law that states that you are only allowed to use one copy of any software per machine, and the name of the country in which it applies.

Upvote 0
*I* didn't buy Red Orchestra because I just discovered it today. You have my vote for more advertising - I only found it after boredom + a lack of interest in any current games led to wandering around gamespot.com. It was buried in the pc section -> gamespot recommends [I usually just look at the 4 sections of the most popular games + news + previews] -> top-rated pc games -> browse all results. I only focused on FPS releases and stuck gold with RO.

Since the game wasn't top-rated and wasn't very popular (advertising?) it never made the main pages. I was getting desparate and was about to download the demo for Rush for Berlin ... a ww2 strategy game... *shudder* before finding RO.

If it's anything like the realism mod for Call of Duty 2 this should be a lot of fun.

Upvote 0
baff said:
Sorry this took me so long to reply to, but I only came across the answer today, (and I thought of you).
Fair enough.

baff said:
Here is my educational challenge for you. (At least one of us will learn something).
What I would like you to show me, if you are able, is the name of the specific law that states that you are only allowed to use one copy of any software per machine, and the name of the country in which it applies.
Okay, well I got my opinion from talking to someone who works in a school. I'll ask them in a bit more detail when I can and then I'll get back to here.

Although of the top of me head I have a feeling they probably do have some sort of contract with Microsoft. Their computers are all bought through or insured by Four S (I think, something like that) and it's possible then that through them they have to agree to the MS agreeement. I'll ask anyway though.

Upvote 0