• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The actual Tiger tank

Tak said:
I was under the impression that Arad is as big as they get for U2.5 maps. They can be larger you say? At what cost to performance?

You can make them bigger, without loss of performance, though from a certain Size upwards you need to decrease Graphical Detail to let the Map stay playable. There was a very big Map avaible in the Days of the Mod (Kalinin) which was very big, but had performance Problems (i could imagine it was due to the several dozen destroyable Buildings).

Upvote 0
I was reading Carius' book last night (second read through), and in some of the fighting you'd think he was talking about another tank. First, he has a specific description of a one-shot knock out of a JS-2. That ain't happening in the game.

Also, in his chapter entitled "Ambush", his company of Tigers (eight tanks in total), bagged over 20 tanks (17 Stalin tanks and some others, typing it form memmory now, not sure, could have been more).

in all fairness, he does also speak of frontally engaging a JS-2 at a range "that our 88mm could not defeat at that range and angle (emphasis added).

On the whole, if you take Carius' recollections to be accurrate, the Tiger is not well represented in this game. Nevermind the fact that the JS-2 was just not as prevalent in this game as it was in reality.

As it stands now, on any CA/Tank map, the russians have the decided armor advantage and that's just silly to the knowledgeable WWII historian.

Upvote 0
Heinz said:
As it stands now, on any CA/Tank map, the russians have the decided armor advantage and that's just silly to the knowledgeable WWII historian.

With maps forcing engagement ranges of less than 500m, it is not at all surprising that the Russian tanks have a decided advantage. It is quite historical, in fact. (It's the maps that are not very historical for tank combat.)

Upvote 0
akd said:
With maps forcing engagement ranges of less than 500m, it is not at all surprising that the Russian tanks have a decided advantage. It is quite historical, in fact. (It's the maps that are not very historical for tank combat.)

But also the players are not acting like Russians. That is Carius several times mentioned how the Russians would always go into battle buttoned up and had no situational awareness. But in RO:Ost they unbutton (I do when I'm playing) and we have radios that work perfectly (well almost).

Upvote 0