• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

surviving

A detailed American study of WW2 infantry combat (which incidentally led to the dehumanising Vietnam style training depicted in "Full Metal Jacket") concluded the following: even in an apparent life or death situation, only 1 soldier in 10 would actually fire their weapon at the enemy with the intention of killing them. The other 90% would shoot to wound, shoot wildly, run away or surrender.

Add to this the fact that the majority of battle casualties were wounds, not deaths; and also that for every soldier engaged in combat there were many more in rear positions not actively engaged.

All these factors need to be considered when looking at the apparent casualty rate in RO.

Upvote 0
One way of making RO realistic regarding the surviving aspect I can come up with, would be to make it one spawn per person and without such a strict and unrealistic time limit to win a round. because having only 20 minutes to control a whole map leads to the massacres we usually see on full 32 players servers...

Then the reinforcements would actually be different players on standby spawning when the first wave ones are dead and so on...

But you know, it would be damn boring and unrealistic for a GAME...:rolleyes:

p.s. quick question to the mappers: what's the total amount of reinforcements? for example, when the round ends with 0% reinf for one side and 10% for the other side: what's it like? approximatively 250 lives wasted in 20 minutes meaning ~12.5 casualties per minute? :eek:

Upvote 0
Athena said:
p.s. quick question to the mappers: what's the total amount of reinforcements? for example, when the round ends with 0% reinf for one side and 10% for the other side: what's it like? approximatively 250 lives wasted in 20 minutes meaning ~12.5 casualties per minute? :eek:

Thats different for every Map, and can be set by the Mapper, default is 150 iirc.

Upvote 0
I've done it a few times.

In Odessa with an MP44 holding the apartments for the entire round (which was pretty short because the Russians got ground up real bad).

Another was on Baksan with an SVT40 and I wasn't being careful either, I was just among a team of awesome players and we basically stormed the Germans off the map in a couple of minutes.

First round of my teams first scrim on Basovka as the Germans, I led my assault squad to glory and didn't die once.

Upvote 0
Its is complete dependent on the role you choose I like to see someone try and survive as a MG for an entire round- accord to survival rate of the of an mg it would be next impossible- If any body knows actual stats like that please post I'd be interest to see- cant be more than 30 seconds. When assaulting you're always at disadvantage- Defending much high chance of surviving longer- but remember its only a chance and of course we have to keep in mind the many Russian solders who were sent into slaughter- by the thousands using sheer numbers to obtain victory of the Germans.

Upvote 0
EGF_PeeGee said:
A detailed American study of WW2 infantry combat (which incidentally led to the dehumanising Vietnam style training depicted in "Full Metal Jacket") concluded the following: even in an apparent life or death situation, only 1 soldier in 10 would actually fire their weapon at the enemy with the intention of killing them. The other 90% would shoot to wound, shoot wildly, run away or surrender.

Add to this the fact that the majority of battle casualties were wounds, not deaths; and also that for every soldier engaged in combat there were many more in rear positions not actively engaged.

All these factors need to be considered when looking at the apparent casualty rate in RO.

Frankly, I've only heard of this study in a second-hand manner. I call complete BS on it. I've read way too many first-hand WWII accounts to believe this anymore. I'd like to see the proof that backs it up, and whether this study was conducted on all troops (I.E. support troops, command staffs, MPs, pilots, sailors, etc.) or just on the men that actually had to make the decision (front-line soldiers). In fact, I'd just like to see the study itself, for starters.

Upvote 0
I call complete BS on it

It's complex and controversial. It didn't help that it got mixed up with the inference that the American infantryman in WW2 was inferior to his German counterpart, or that if Allied strength after D Day had been concentrated on a narrow front (as Montgomery argued against American opposition) a German surrender could have been obtained in late 1944.

I'm not going to attempt to summarise the work, let alone argue either for or against it. The main elements derive from Brigadier General S.L.A. Marshall in "Men Against Fire; the Problem of Battle Command" and later by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman in "On Killing".

Upvote 0
The only time I survive a whole round is getting in a JS-2 on Arad and plugging tanks while my angled armour renders their shots useless, or I am at a range that they can't get right.. I have a spot where I have mastered the distance, so I hardly miss. Then I have to go to my spawn to refill on ammo because HE rounds do absolutely nothing to tanks. But, the JS-2 is a beast, that's really the only reason why that happened probably.

Upvote 0
EGF_PeeGee said:

I don't completely call bull**** on this but consider this a minute.

We all know the Western front was fought in a much more 'clean' way than the Eastern front. For the most part both sides abided by the rules, there was very little shooting of prisoners and surrendering was a good option when it came to the crunch.

In the east it was a war of annihilation, surrender often ment swift execution or being shipped off as slave labour. I would like to see the stats a similar study would yield regarding the Eastern front, I'd certainly expect that the Germans and Russians were a lot more intent on outright killing each other.

Upvote 0
People don't care about their virtual soldier's life. They do stupid things that no one in their right mind would do in real life. For one, people just stand there as you shoot at them and aim back at you. I don't think I would stand around with bullets flying around me, i would jump for the nearest cover.

Upvote 0
Almost Made it

Almost Made it

I almost survived one full round in Odessa. I joined the game when only tower and hq was left. I was German and moved to the warehouse with the door that looks toward the Tower. I hid behind the boxes. Russians would come up to that door or be in the street in front of it focused on the tower. I would kill them from behind and they never caught on. It was great and the game was almost over when another German came up to door from outside blazing away down the street with his sub mg and drew attention to the door. Russian grenade followed after him near entrance to door and I was toast. Closest I came to surviving an entire round :)

Upvote 0
Muddy_May said:
Barashka is the only map I've been able to survive for a full 20 min round on. I pick sniper class on Russians, and hide in the hills on the German side of the river on the opposite side of the map from their infantry spawn. A combination of stealth tactics, my white camo uniform and the overall hugeness of that map allow me to rack up kills yet not be heard or seen easily.

Only problem is my ammo usually won't last for the whole 20 min always if there's lots of targets about.

Me too. Did the same as you. They just don't look for a sniper back there and you can pop away all game.

Upvote 0
MILK said:
anytime you feel bored in game, so you decide to change your position or rush some place, would be in real life impossible because you would not feel bored but you would be dead... in RL you cannot respawn in next wave... thats the reason why you cannot survive ingame all the time... because you go for kill

Well i could not say it better. You die because you rush and you die because of the rushers

Upvote 0
SOAD said:
I tried all today to go a round without dying, and its IMPOSSIBLE. I know this game is realistic, but if real life was like RO noone would have survived WW2. I was just wondering why can nobody survive the whole round, like people did in world war 2.... lol stupid i know

well just do it like it was done many times in real too .... just stay in spawn and hide in a corner.

problem solved, next.

Upvote 0